Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Where Do You Hide Your Fabric >

Where Do You Hide Your Fabric

Where Do You Hide Your Fabric

Old 08-05-2011, 06:16 AM

Yes, they won,t run out of fabric--but what about sales--CLEARENCE sales?
Old 08-05-2011, 06:25 AM

My friend puts her fabric between the mattresses of the bed in her guest room, partly because she's hiding it from her husband, and partly because she lives in an apartment and storage space is scarce.

I have floor to ceiling cabinets that my husband built and I use plastic bins to store my fabric by color or theme.
Old 08-05-2011, 06:29 AM

Buy one of those divided pocket things for the closet that holds shoes. Walmart has them, works great for fabric, notions, whatever, I have one in my closed that I keep my underwear in and use the chest of drawers for all kinds of junque!

delma
Old 08-05-2011, 06:43 AM

Originally Posted by JUNEC
I am looking for some creative answers to this. I have been tossing packages I get in the mail into my walkin closet (which is no longer walkin - able) or into my still to be finished sewing room.
I am in the process of trying to set up my Sewing Room - Since organization is not my middle name - I seem to be cleaning up one spot/room, only to have stuff - for some strange reason - ending up in another room, that has been yet to cleaned.
I use a cabinet with many drawers and try to accommodate color fabrics.
I'll come with a photo of me so that I use because I can easily remove the cloth.
But my stash is small!
Attached Thumbnails attachment-236883.jpe  
Old 08-05-2011, 07:25 AM

I don't hide it 'cause then I'll forget what I have. All of my fabric is on boards and on shelves like books. My batting, interfacing, etc. is in plastic bins. I have, thanks to my late wonderful FIL, many cigar boxes and they are great for purse components, trim, elastic, etc. Rulers are on a belt organizer and I just, I'm so easy, bought four of those swivel storage dealy bobs for my large spools of thread. There is not enough room so navigating my sewing room is only for the brave or fully informed. It is one room where I am absolutely calm and happy so I'm keepin' it.
Old 08-05-2011, 10:28 AM
Power Poster

I would use the plastic bins for under the bed as well as clear plastic bins/totes so that I can see what I have, and I try to attach a 4 x 6" file card to the inside or outside listing the fabrics inside. You can go detailed, or just general - like Christmas, Children's fabric, fall, etcc.
Old 08-05-2011, 10:49 AM

Wow, Kberry, you have a floor in your sewing room-that's not covered with all sorts of things.

Love how you designed it. Looks great and very user friendly.

I have to keep my fabric in site. I have a storage shelf system you can pick up from the hardware store. Sort my fabric by color and size and keep it all on the shelf. I do have 3 large totes but I forget I have things in them. And i have several shoe box size clear plastic boxes I use for fat quarters, and use gallon ziplock bags for precuts.

I have an over the door shoe hanger with pockets I use for misc. small supplies. And the other square I think it's a sweater storage hanger with shelves in the closet for some fat quarters and yarn.
Old 08-05-2011, 10:58 AM

I don't hide my fabric. It like seeing it. My husband is building me some new shelves on which to display it all.
Old 08-05-2011, 01:53 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OKiiO...eature=related

you can try some of these
Old 08-05-2011, 03:38 PM

I sorted all my fabric by color and then put on shelves. Since doing this I'm amazed at how much I have on hand. I'm going to hard not to buy and use what I have. Our guild is planning a trip to Penn country so......