Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Where would you,visit? >

Where would you,visit?

Where would you,visit?

Old 07-13-2016, 11:03 AM

Fabric Depot in Portland! They have every brand I use.
Old 07-13-2016, 12:27 PM

*** msqc
Old 07-14-2016, 02:47 AM

Another great store in Portland area is the Pine Needle. I visited it several years ago and now order from their website. Great customer service!

My mecca is MSQC - can't wait to go there!
Old 07-14-2016, 03:08 AM

I would not discourage anyone from visiting Missouri Star Quilt. It is fun to see it once but they have remodeled and are in the process of doing more remodeling and unfortunately they have made it harder to see the material and make a choice. The store that was the main store that housed most of the material is now just a greeting store with a some material but not like it was. They have a another store that houses the batiks, another that houses the special material, and they have the Penny's store that houses baby and other different material. They have the store that houses the flowery material and they have a store that houses the solid material. For me it is a lot of walking and standing and confusion. I like to have material separated by color. I was looking for a black on black and a red but I did not want a solid and I did not want a definite print. I had a hard time focusing. But MSQ is unique and it is reviving Hamilton, Mo. I live in KC and can drive to Hamilton easily but I like my local little quilt shops best.

Last edited by sinceresissy; 07-14-2016 at 03:08 AM. Reason: typo
Old 07-14-2016, 03:38 AM

I hear Marden's in Maine is fabulous. Keepsake in NH is fun but not as extensive as it used to be. When I'm in Denver, I like Harriet's Treadle Arts, not so much for its size but for its beautiful batiks.
Old 07-14-2016, 03:57 AM

Mkotch, My son lives in Maine, and usually when I ask him where he bought something, he says "Mardens". I didn't realize they sold quilting supplies. Which store are you referring to? It's been several years since I've been in one, so I'm wondering if I should plan to visit their store.
Old 07-14-2016, 05:09 AM

Originally Posted by paoberle View Post
If you could visit any quilt shop, or shops, in the United States, which one, or ones, would you go to? I live in NC and have been to Mary Jo's in Gastonia. I would like to go to Missouri Star and Hancock's in Paducah.
I have been to Hancock's of Paducah, but would really like to go to Missouri Star.
Old 07-14-2016, 06:49 AM
mac

One year, traveling home from Coeur d'Alene, ID, I found out (quite by accident) about the Fabric Depot in Portland, Oregon. Oh, my goodness; they were having a 60% off sale on almost everything in the store. I got there in the morning and spent the whole day there. I did spend a pretty penny there, but I figured it was like getting 70% off in California. I actually had to call my husband to tell him I was going to arrive home a day later than expected because I had to get a motel room for the night because it was too late to drive home and I don't like to drive in the dark.

Unfortunately, unbeknownst to me, our credit card company called my husband to make sure that the charge on my credit card was a legitimate one. Boy was I in trouble when I got home... But, I was a happy girl with all my wonderful fabric. Yeah! I figured if my husband were to kill me, I would die with a big smile on my face. LOL
Old 07-14-2016, 07:19 AM

Missouri Star Quilt in Missouri, Hands down!
Old 07-14-2016, 09:18 AM

Default Mardens in Maine and keepsake in NH

Mardens in Maine has gone down hill with their selection of fabric. not anywhere as near as what they
once had. Keepsake also has a smaller selection of fabric. Last time I was there I don't think I spent
$10 which normally would be $200 or more. And of course there prices have also gone up.