Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Who are the "Quilting Police" .... >

Who are the "Quilting Police" ....

Who are the "Quilting Police" ....

Old 04-23-2011, 11:40 AM

i've met a few that thought they were but they were just boogers hired by the boogyman.
Old 04-23-2011, 11:41 AM

Originally Posted by annesthreads
Quilt police: those who will tell a beginner who's thrilled with her first quilt that the points aren't accurate. The local group that doesn't welcome beginners. The member of the online group who questions whether some members are good enough to take part in the round robin. Anyone who has a superiority complex or who discourages others, especially the less confident, from discovering the joys of quilting.
Well this is why im not a joiner. I'm my own worse critic, so I don't need virtual strangers telling my how bad something is or you could have done this better.. If I want that i'll ask my sister.
I appreciate all your answers to this question because you find these people in every club or organization out there.
Olebat, I do love your answer, it can all be in the way you ask for feedback as to what kind you get. I don't mind critisisim as long as it is helpful and not hurtful. Since im just learning and have yet to complete a project, I think i'm still protected for a short time from the quilt police.
Old 04-23-2011, 11:41 AM

Originally Posted by juneayerza
I met a 'Quilt Police Officer' once. I love foundation piecing and was looking at FQ at my LQS. After I had picked out several FQ and some Jelly Rolls I went to pay for them. The woman who was waiting on me asked me what I was going to use them for. When I told her I was doing foundation piecing for a quilt, she made this big sigh and said that was not real quilting, but cheating. After stopping myself from saying something I shouldn't, I said, "Oh well, then I guess I won't be needing this stuff" and turned around and walked out. By the way, she had already rung everything up, the total was a little over $200.00.
I wonder after that if she keep her big mouth shut! :shock:
Old 04-23-2011, 12:12 PM

that's why i love quilts. each one tells a story. sometimes it is filled with love, other times, with hate. some are filled with a story of plenty, others, a time of want. sometimes they tell of amazing skill--sometimes, sheer determination. sometimes they tell about a person's quilting education--or the lack of it. maybe that's what the "QP" don't get--the story in each one. yeah. real quilters get it...

Originally Posted by Julianna
Originally Posted by svenskaflicka1
Originally Posted by catmcclure
Originally Posted by svenskaflicka1
. . . they will say that "that" quilt is an abomination of fabric, never taking into consideration that the one who made it cannot afford to go to or does not have a LQS, so she/he relies on available materials.
Whenever I meet some of these "Experts", I always ask them if they've seen the Museum exhibit of the Gee's Bend Quilts. Now "those quilts" will send the quilt police into catatonic shock.
the gee's bend quilts are a tour de force! i love quilts made from sheer determination and will, that warm and shelter those they are made for. talk about ingenuity--the quilts speak to the ability of people to "make do", and do it beautifully. i think i'm assigning myself a quilt made of "found fabric" in the house. no purchases allowed! i know there are some old flannel shirts lurking, and some old work pants... hmmm....
The quilt museum in Lincoln,NE has some beautiful quilts.

But they also have others that look like they were made by someone full of hate, torn almost apart in shreds by wild dogs, left out in the rain for a month, grew uglier by the minute, stained all over with mud and worse and then sold for millions of dollars to people who have way too much money and way too little sense!

But others are fine examples of craftsmanship. You can see which way I lean but I know beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Just wonder what the 'quilt police" would say. They would probably have heart attacks! :roll:
Old 04-23-2011, 12:48 PM

Actually, I like the "fur babies" type of quilp police best of all. They have nothing to say, just circle, lay down and take a nap!
Old 04-23-2011, 12:51 PM

I just loved that question anddddddd the answers were perfect.........lol.......
Old 04-23-2011, 12:54 PM

From all the talent I've enjoyed viewing on this site, I could never understand how anyone would dare criticize any of your work, ladies and gents - I must tell you I look forward to opening every topic and usually find myself in awe of the piece of art shining back at me. Kudos to you all for your talents. I feel blessed to be a part of this. Happy Easter - Happy Passover!
Old 04-23-2011, 01:05 PM

sometimes they are in our head.
Old 04-23-2011, 01:12 PM

don't EVER be that hard on yourself!!
Originally Posted by stitchin
sometimes they are in our head.
Old 04-23-2011, 01:30 PM

I noticed that many of you from the list stopped by my blog to say hello to the "quilt police". Thanks for stopping by!
Leslie
http://leslietuckerjenison.blogspot.com/