Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Who likes to  paper piece? Lets Chit Chat! >

Who likes to paper piece? Lets Chit Chat!

Who likes to paper piece? Lets Chit Chat!

Old 07-04-2016, 03:40 AM

I PP a crumb/crazy quilt out of old scraps. I have drawn the PP patterns on wash away plastic fabric. When the block is finished, I rince away the plasti "paper". I have made over 200 blocks so far this way. easy peasy
Old 07-04-2016, 06:48 AM

Originally Posted by Bree123 View Post
I'm trying to learn to EPP small squares for my Calico Gardens quilt & am having the worst time trying to get the fabric taught around the paper. I keep ending up with a sloppy mess that barely even resembles a square. Can anyone share any tips?
For EPP I use elmers glue stick and press it w/ an iron, keeps everything in place and is much quicker then hand thread basting.
Old 07-04-2016, 07:03 AM

Jane Quilter, where do you get the wash away plastic--and can you put it through an ink jet computer printer to get the pattern lines on it? I have to admit that the only thing I don't like about paper piecing is removing the paper. I've got a bunch of paper pieced blocks that have languished because I got tired of taking the paper off.

Rob<object type="cosymantecnisbfw" cotype="cs" id="SILOBFWOBJECTID" style="width: 0px; height: 0px; display: block;"></object>
Old 07-04-2016, 07:12 AM

My 1st and only paper piecing is the Crystal Star by Jinny Beyer......and yes, I fell in love with paper piecing after that....just no time to keep it up. I do have a project that involves paper piecing in the near future though by Jacqueline de Jonge called Brilliant Beauties of Joy. I may have bit more than I can chew but I'm going to give it my best just the same. I think the hardest on this project is finding the fabrics but someone here on this group gave me the substitute batiks I could use so started my search early and now have them all ready to go.

I find paper piecing more exact and that's what I like about it. And if you can't follow the stitch line on the paper then maybe I should just quite the quilting hobby altogether................in my opinion. I can't sew a straight line to save my life but I keep trying.
Old 07-04-2016, 08:14 AM

Originally Posted by rryder View Post
Jane Quilter, where do you get the wash away plastic--and can you put it through an ink jet computer printer to get the pattern lines on it? I have to admit that the only thing I don't like about paper piecing is removing the paper. I've got a bunch of paper pieced blocks that have languished because I got tired of taking the paper off.

Rob<object type="cosymantecnisbfw" cotype="cs" id="SILOBFWOBJECTID" style="width: 0px; height: 0px; display: block;"></object>
Rob -- Check out freezer paper piecing on the web. The paper is folded back and you stitch along the edge of the fold, so you don't have to tear the paper. In fact, you can reuse the paper several times. Some people just fold back regular copy paper, but I like the freezer paper because it doesn't move while I'm stitching.
Old 07-04-2016, 09:12 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by rryder View Post

If you use tissue paper no need to remove it. It dissolves away in the wash.

Cari
Old 07-04-2016, 11:16 AM

Originally Posted by krazy4quilts View Post
I have done my 1st PP and I loved it. It was long going because I had no clue what I was doing. I love how the points come out perfect.
Very nice krazy4quilts . What is the pattern?
Old 07-06-2016, 02:47 PM

I started paper piecing with a Mariner's Compass quilt and ended up making blocks for three!! It was a free BOM that year about 5-6 years ago. Fell in love with paper piecing soon after I started. Sometimes I search for paper piecing patterns and I was given several books on it with lots of patterns in them.
Old 07-08-2016, 04:34 AM

Enjoy paper piecing very much
I do it using the freezer paper method; no tearing paper off stitches .
There are plenty of YouTube videos on how to
I freezer paper pieced my Picasso Sunset quilt posted in here in KP.
👍😋
Old 07-12-2016, 12:22 PM

I just picked up my first book on paper piecing, and I must admit it seems a bit confusing. Can someone recommend a good youtube video for beginning beginners Thanks in advance
Carol