Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Why do you Quilt? >

Why do you Quilt?

Why do you Quilt?

Old 03-08-2010, 05:53 PM
Google Goddess

This should be fun topic "Why do you Quilt?"

I am learning to quilt to be creative as I love to make all types of crafts from crochet, spinning, weaving, sewing, some knitting, painting (oils, acrylics, pen and ink, watercolors).

I think it would be cool to collect a fat quarter from all over the world and to make a siggie quilt.

Karen
Old 03-08-2010, 06:04 PM

I am, therefore I quilt. I quilt for so many reasons... because I love creating something beautiful, because I love the process, every step of the process. I love looking for patterns, (I never tire of looking at quilt books or magazines), I love selecting fabrics, I love cutting and making little piles of squares and strips and rectangles, I love sitting at the sewing machine, making beautiful blocks out of all those pieces, I love putting the blocks together and looking at the top I made, I love quilting it, taking the little stitches, watching it all come together, and I like showing off the finished product. I even like giving them away and seeing the look of awe on someone's face when they receive it. I quilt because I am totally, absolutely and forever addicted to quilting!!
Old 03-08-2010, 06:07 PM

I quilt because I like it.
I like seeing the pattern when it's all together.
Kind of like a completed jigsaw puzzle.
Old 03-08-2010, 06:13 PM

I primarily quilt for the opportunity to create something nice for our battered women's shelter and for wounded soldiers. It's something I can have fun with, and have a good feeling about when the quilt is done.
Old 03-08-2010, 06:17 PM

It keeps me out of the bars. No - just kidding. I quilt because I find it relaxing. I can forget about work, stress, problems when I cut up fabric into little pieces and sew it back together.
Old 03-08-2010, 06:28 PM

I grew up feeling that I had no real talents even though I sewed, knitted, and crocheted and any number of other things. So when I retired I made up my mind I was going to take up quilting because no one in our family has quilted since my Grammy. I made up my mind that I was going to excell at something different than the others. Now I am hooked and couldn't imagine my life without it. AND I have a stash worthy of a quilter!
Old 03-08-2010, 06:33 PM

Originally Posted by SaraSewing
It keeps me out of the bars. No - just kidding. I quilt because I find it relaxing. I can forget about work, stress, problems when I cut up fabric into little pieces and sew it back together.
LOL, that was so funny! My girlfriend says that same thing....she doesn't get quilting because you take fabric cut it up and then sew it back together! Me, I like quilting because I admire the finished product, I always have. I don't know anyone that does quilt and I knew that if I ever wanted to have a quilt I would have to learn to make one, because I can't afford to buy one. I also strive to learn new things, I had a stroke some years back at the age of 35, and I know that I need to keep my brain active...its like a muscle without constant use and excercise it will atrophy.
Old 03-08-2010, 06:40 PM
Power Poster

I quilt because my mother made a quilt (just one) that my DD and Grand daughter all want. I wanted to create something that wonderful and loved. Now I quilt because it soothes me and makes me happy. (And my family is never cold. )
Old 03-08-2010, 07:59 PM

Well I quilt for several reasons , I love to sew and I also had a mother who only made one quilt, but I loved that quilt and
decided to make them also. They give me away to express
myself and show my love through what I make when I give them to a family member.It also gives me something to do as I'm in very poor health and can not do much anything else as I use to be able to do so I have my quilting .. :D
Old 03-08-2010, 08:49 PM

I quilt because it gives me calm in my life. Everything can be going wrong but when I start to quilt everything in my life starts to fall into place. I also like that others like what I do.