Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Why do you Quilt? >

Why do you Quilt?

Why do you Quilt?

Old 03-10-2010, 04:00 PM
Power Poster

Inhale: It is relaxing, challenging, creative, colorful, stress-relieving, stash-building, teaching, learning, friendship-building, rewarding, loving, sharing, laughing blogging fun. Exhale!
Old 03-10-2010, 04:07 PM

Yeah, all that!! I agree!
YTQ
Old 03-10-2010, 04:10 PM

Originally Posted by MadQuilter
Inhale: It is relaxing, challenging, creative, colorful, stress-relieving, stash-building, teaching, learning, friendship-building, rewarding, loving, sharing, laughing blogging fun. Exhale!
ditto I think you summed it up.
Old 03-10-2010, 04:25 PM
Power Poster

I want to be creative, and at the same time provide something pretty and warm for my family and friends.
Old 03-12-2010, 04:25 AM

well, quess who bought more material yesterday - just could not resist. sewing room cannot hold any more - but I loved the colors and "plan" on making some new placemats... does anyone else ever do this.. am I a shopfabricholic???
Old 03-12-2010, 04:39 AM

Originally Posted by SaraSewing
It keeps me out of the bars. No - just kidding. I quilt because I find it relaxing. I can forget about work, stress, problems when I cut up fabric into little pieces and sew it back together.

this is exactly why I quilt!! I have a lot of stress in my life and when I quilt i have to concentrate on my sewing and nothing else! I'm not great at it, I make a lot of mistakes, but it's a stress reliever and I feel great when I have a finished product! :)
Old 03-12-2010, 05:41 AM

I once asked my Hubby "Is it sad that my mental stability hinges on whether I can get some time to quilt regularly?" He laughed, but I was only half joking. I think that sums up why I quilt. I quilt because I have to. I quilt because I love to. It is my release, my pass from reality. It is my passion and my poison. I am a perfectionist and quilting helps me with that. (Otherwise, I would be cleaning the house all the time...and that just wouldn't do.) I just get so pleased with myself when I finish a project! I even get a kick out of it that my Hubby now judges all the other quilts he sees against mine. "Those seams don't match up like yours do..." Makes me smile that he notices.
Old 03-12-2010, 05:43 AM

Originally Posted by Pamela Artman
I am, therefore I quilt. I quilt for so many reasons... because I love creating something beautiful, because I love the process, every step of the process. I love looking for patterns, (I never tire of looking at quilt books or magazines), I love selecting fabrics, I love cutting and making little piles of squares and strips and rectangles, I love sitting at the sewing machine, making beautiful blocks out of all those pieces, I love putting the blocks together and looking at the top I made, I love quilting it, taking the little stitches, watching it all come together, and I like showing off the finished product. I even like giving them away and seeing the look of awe on someone's face when they receive it. I quilt because I am totally, absolutely and forever addicted to quilting!!
Also peace of mind.
Old 03-12-2010, 06:39 AM

I think the biggest reason I quilt is seeing how much all my grandkids and kids really love the ones I've made them! The grandkids espeacilly seem to know they're filled with love.

And because there's so many I want, and making them myself is the only way I can get them! ~if I ever get all the kids and grandkids quilts done, so I can do some for me!
:) :)
Old 03-12-2010, 06:48 AM

I remember the warm and cozy feeling I had when I would cover with the quilts my grand and great grand mothers made. Piles of them on the bed, made from old flour/sugar/feed sacks and "filled" with cotton from their own fields, carded and spread between the layers of rough cotton fabric, lumpy and heavy with lots of love sewn in.

I get some of that feeling as I work on my own quilts and pray for the person who will receive them. I love the thought of passing on some of the comfort I received from those old quilts.

Also, I am not happy unless I'm doing something with my hands. Can't even watch tv without something to do. Drives my hubby nuts some times, but he has learned to live with it.