Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Why use flower head pins? >

Why use flower head pins?

Why use flower head pins?

Old 05-13-2015, 05:06 AM

What/why press with pins in? I use both.....flowers primarily on longarm...pinning to leaders..lay flat......and if I decide to do a stack n whack.....not!...once was enough! My pin cushions have yellow glass headed pins in them....
Old 05-13-2015, 08:24 AM

I like them for all of the reasons given. Wish I could remember which brand I bought so I wouldn't buy them again - the "flowers" have some rough edges, little burrs on them. Anybody else find that?
Old 05-13-2015, 08:34 AM
Power Poster

I usually iron pin then sew. Rarely iron over pins. I have all kinds of pins. As long as they're sharp I'm good.
Old 05-13-2015, 10:46 AM

I wouldn't be ironing over pins much when quilting, but for other sewing projects I do quite a bit. For hems, pinning binding on small areas, etc. I don't like using glue on something that won't be washed like a wallet or purse.
Old 05-13-2015, 11:09 AM

Location: Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.

There are flower head pins from several sources. I use the ones from Clover because they have a very slim shank, are so sharp,and CAN be pressed because they are not plastic apparently. A bit more expensive, but so worth it!

Jan in VA
Old 05-13-2015, 12:54 PM

Agree with different brands/different experiences. I have two sets, and am beginning to discard anything that won't go through the fabric on the first try. I'm pretty sure the Clovers I have are the good ones. I've also got some Fonz & Porter (bought with a 50% coupon--won't pay their full prices! Why is F&P stuff so expensive) and they're pretty good. Dritz--not so much.
Old 05-13-2015, 02:55 PM

I started using the flat head pins as soon as I found them. Since they lay flat against the fabric, I get way less distortion as I pin. Patterns come out more accurate for me, and when I am sewing, they are easier to grab as I go (since I never sew over them) because of the extra length. I do not use them for applique though. I use Elmer's or starch for that.
Old 05-13-2015, 02:57 PM

Originally Posted by Jan in VA View Post
There are flower head pins from several sources. I use the ones from Clover because they have a very slim shank, are so sharp,and CAN be pressed because they are not plastic apparently. A bit more expensive, but so worth it!

Jan in VA
Thank you Jan, I did not know they made them that could be ironed. Gotta go shopping again! Lol!
Old 05-13-2015, 03:50 PM

If your old like me, the most important reason to use them is they are easier to grasp when you have arthritis in your fingers and hands. Those little round balls are just too hard sometimes.
Old 05-13-2015, 04:25 PM

The blue clover flower pins are absolutely the best. They cost more but they are so worth it. They are very sharp and thin - did I say how much I love 'em?

i started using flower pins to save my husband's feet! For some reason if I dropped a pin he ALWAYS was the one to find it (ouch!). I can see these.....