Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Why use flower head pins? >

Why use flower head pins?

Why use flower head pins?

Old 05-13-2015, 04:44 PM

Originally Posted by gale View Post
I got an email about a massdrop with pins and flower head pins are included. It specifically says these pins are not heat resistant. Other than ironing, what is the big advantage to using them? I know one is that you can put a ruler over them to trim. Any other reason?
What is a massdrop?
Old 05-13-2015, 05:11 PM

I do like the idea that they lay flat on top of a ruler but I'm a klutsz! I have sewn thru the flower several times-that is a difficult thing to undo!
Old 05-13-2015, 05:35 PM

Originally Posted by Latrinka View Post
You will want to slap me, but maybe cuz they're cute?! Sorry, couldn't resist, LOL!
Exactly! Also, the butterfly ones, the button shaped ones, etc.
Old 05-14-2015, 01:37 AM

Originally Posted by Jan in VA View Post
There are flower head pins from several sources. I use the ones from Clover because they have a very slim shank, are so sharp,and CAN be pressed because they are not plastic apparently. A bit more expensive, but so worth it!

Jan in VA
All of the flower head pins shown on the Clover website say they are not heat resistant and not to apply an iron to them. the ones in the massdrop say the same. Where did you find heat resistant ones? Maybe they're discontinued or something...
Old 05-14-2015, 03:06 AM

Originally Posted by GrammieJan View Post
I don't like my flower head pins. They are not sharp, also they are not thin enough to suit me. Therefore they are rather slow pinning. So, I bought a few more glass head pins and set the flowers aside.
I agree. I purchase the glass head pins and have since the late 70's, and I still have most of the first ones I purchased. I have had the flower heads break off when I was using them and it could be very painful if it went into my finger. The actual pin part is too thick and dull for my liking.
Old 05-14-2015, 03:46 AM
Power Poster

Tartan, again I agree with you. Was upset when our WalMart quit carrying them. They put them on clearance and I bought all 5 boxes left.

Originally Posted by Tartan View Post
I like the flower head pins because they are thinner and longer then other pins. If you accidentally sew over a pin head it doesn't mess up your machine. I bought mine when I was doing OBW so I could lay my ruler on top of them to cut 6 layers. When pinning seams they cause less distortion in the fabric and the fabric lays flatter. Love my flower head pins!
Old 05-14-2015, 03:51 AM

I also wondered why they were necessary and then a good friend had too many and gave me about 50 or so. I now love them. The pin is longer than most, it penetrates the fabric well and the most important part it lies FLAT
Old 05-14-2015, 04:13 AM

I'll go with easier to pick up AND because they are cute. I have the flowers and butterflies.
Old 05-14-2015, 04:58 AM

The flat head pins are specifically used with doing stack-n-whack quilts. To do stack-n-whack quilts, normally you have eight layers of fabic cut on the repeat of the print. You take the pin and pin all the layers together in numberous places so that the print of the fabric is directly in place for all eight layers. Then you cut the fablic in a particular way to get your kaliedascope design. To be able to move your ruler across the fablic and lay flat, you need to use flat head pins.
Old 05-14-2015, 05:08 AM

Originally Posted by lisalovesquilting View Post
What is a massdrop?
I would like to know also. Never heard of massdrop.