Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Wierd cutting sizes >

Wierd cutting sizes

Wierd cutting sizes

Old 02-07-2014, 09:26 AM

Default Wierd cutting sizes

Just an observation. When I started quilting, about 2 years ago, I bought several patterns and a kit. I just cracked into them and each one has these crazy size cutting instructions. Like 3 1/8 squares, 5 5/8 by 7 3/4 rectangles and so on. And they aren't going to be HSTs or geese. What's up with that? Maybe its just because I'm a beginner, but those sizes just seem strange to me!
Old 02-07-2014, 09:56 AM
Power Poster

If the pieces go together nicely, tthen they are the correct sizes.

I think some pattern designers use odd sizes to minimize copying of their patterns.
Old 02-07-2014, 09:56 AM
Power Poster

Hmmmm. Where did the patterns and kit come from? They sound as if they are quite old. Nowadays it's rare to see cutting instructions like that. Do they have any stars? Do you have the pattern names?
Old 02-07-2014, 11:21 AM

You might want to use some paper scraps and cut the sizes directed and lay it all out. The end result might be something familiar to you in a completely different manner. I have a pattern for a feathered star quilt that after reading the directions, my head was spinning. I took it to my LQS for some guidance. The person there I spoke with made the comment, oh, they have you doing x,y,z just in a different manner. All well and good. Still haven't done that quilt yet. One day when my mind is much clearer I'll follow my own advice here and work it all out differently.
Old 02-07-2014, 12:24 PM
Power Poster

Are the pieces cut bigger, then trimmed down? Sounds like that might be it.
Old 02-07-2014, 01:29 PM
RST

When I was a younger quilter, I remember that there was a prevalent mindset that said-- good quilters do not trim to size after piecing-- they cut precisely and stitch precisely, and the resulting block was precise and needed no adjustments. I think it led to a lot of frustrated quilters and people who walked away from projects (and the pursuit of quilting). The 7/8 markings on my rulers don't get a lot of attention anymore. For me, a lot of it has to do with the realization that my time and the enjoyment of creation are greater factors than no-waste stitching and extreme detail.
Old 02-07-2014, 03:03 PM

May just have something to do with the program they used to design the pattern in too. I do a lot of designing in EQ6 - and often times I'll start with the finished size quilt I want to make and then build my blocks to fit in it. So sometimes it will come up with blocks of really strange measurements so that all go together using my specifications.
Old 02-07-2014, 03:18 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by RST View Post
When I was a younger quilter, I remember that there was a prevalent mindset that said-- good quilters do not trim to size after piecing-- they cut precisely and stitch precisely, and the resulting block was precise and needed no adjustments. I think it led to a lot of frustrated quilters and people who walked away from projects (and the pursuit of quilting). The 7/8 markings on my rulers don't get a lot of attention anymore. For me, a lot of it has to do with the realization that my time and the enjoyment of creation are greater factors than no-waste stitching and extreme detail.
I don't know who told you RST that old wise tale but that is nothing but a ton of hogwash !! It doesn't matter the path you take, just as long as you get there. Eleanor Burns would be out of business if that hog wash was true. Usually, I find when blocks are set on point that you may run into some of those wonky sizes. Good Luck !!
Old 02-07-2014, 07:30 PM

Location: Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.

Originally Posted by bearisgray View Post
............I think some pattern designers use odd sizes to minimize copying of their patterns.
Bear, I know my cut sizes seem 'odd' sometimes because they are necessary to make the sections fit the size block I need rather than to prevent copying of my patterns. That never occurred to me and I can't think it has to many other pattern designers.

If a pattern calls for 12" blocks, those cut measurements will be different than if the block size is 10", for instance.

Jan in VA
Old 02-07-2014, 07:48 PM
RST

Dearest Maniac Quilter,
Which part of the post in which I described my quilting experience was hogwash? I took a few classes in the early 80s, before rotary cutters, rulers and mats were mainstream. There was definitely a culture that valued precision and mathamatical qualities of piecing at that time-- using templates and super fine point pencils and scissors and being very careful in the cutting and marking of peices. That's not hogwash-- it's just how quilters operated at that time. If the original poster is using patterns and directions that hearken from that time, or are written by a designer who uses that mindset, that's why there are a lot of unusual cutting sizes.

I'm certainly not advocating for a return to those days. Did your reading of my post lead you to believe I was?

RST