Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
(Winding) Ways to disaster >

(Winding) Ways to disaster

(Winding) Ways to disaster

Old 01-22-2009, 10:01 PM
Zoo

I'm so frustrated right now!
I figured I'd do a few Winding Ways practice blocks as it'll be my next quilt...or I thought it would be.
I've done 3 blocks, 2 of them using plastic templates, and one using a pattern from a Winding Ways book I have. I'm obviously doing somthing seriousely wrong as all 3 blocks aren't square, or even close. The sides of the blocks aren't even straight. I'd take pix and post them but right now I don't even want to look at them. grrrrrr. :evil:
The last one I made is expecialy vexxing, I assumed with the first 2 I was just being sloppy or not paying enough attention, so I was careful, careful, careful with cutting out the pieces, sewing them, using the iron etc. And although it is slightly better than the other 2 it's still not square, and the edges are still wobbly.

Anybody have any simillar experiences with this block, or am I just ill-suited to this task?
:( Zoo
Old 01-23-2009, 01:21 AM
Izy

OOOOOOhhh Zoo, I just googled your block, it is lovely BUT its got curves.....you are very brave to try this one, I hope a more experienced quilter can help you, as it is a beautiful pattern :-)
Old 01-23-2009, 02:34 AM
Administrator

check out the tips in this tutorial. it's a different pattern, but curves are curves. ;-)

http://www.quiltingboard.com/posts/list/4260.page
Old 01-23-2009, 05:52 AM

I looked the pattern up and I have to agree with Izy, I personally think you're a very brave quilter to attempt curves. I'm afraid of them.LOL I'm sure someone on board can help you though.
Old 01-23-2009, 06:12 AM

That looks like a lot of curves to me. Brave person you are!! I have a feeling you are being too hard on yourself though.
Old 01-23-2009, 07:42 AM
Zoo

Took a pic of the blocks. ick! (BTW The actuall quilt would be in blue and grey).
The book I'm using is "Winding Ways Quilts" by Nancy Elliott MacDonald. I've read the directions over about 20 times at this point, I'm comfortable with the directions, I'm comfortable with the techniques she uses, I just can't make it work. :(
I've done curved seams before, (sucessfully), but not on a quilt....she says not to clip the seams, and I haven't, I don't think that's the whole problem, but I'm wondering if it's adding to it?
Zoo
Attached Thumbnails attachment-32963.jpe  
Old 01-23-2009, 08:04 AM
Power Poster

I'm thinking the bias edges are getting stretched as you sew. You could try pre-starching the fabric before you cut; heavy starching will keep the fabric more stable. I haven't tried starch with curves, though, so not entirely sure how this would work.

Sharon Schamber has videos on Youtube showing how to "true" blocks to size -- including blocks that are lopsided, too big, or too small. Your green block doesn't look too much off, so that is certainly an option. Here are the Youtube videos (some are continued to another video):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v-3RIWhBvcA
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i6aplw_tVZc

Mary
Old 01-23-2009, 08:58 AM
Power Poster

When I made the drunkards path, also curvy, I did clip one side (color )on the curves, it helped immensely!
Old 01-23-2009, 09:16 AM

Hi I am new posting on this board, but read it almost everyday. The people here are just lovely and helpful people. A few weeks ago, in my LQS, I saw this quilt on display. It was a pattern that was done in a class at this shop. I love this pattern, but do not usually attend classes as my budget is very tight. I bought the book and made the templates out of plastic template sheet. The first three, maybe four8 that I made, were a big "fail". After I caught on, I did better and finished the small quilt. Not all the points made it to home, but I still loved it, could not stop looking at it, and am hand quilting it. Since, in the process of cutting, I inadvertantly "shaved" the templates, even though I used double the width of the plastic and glued them together, I decided, for the next one, I would order the templates. from her website. They arrived and are much better than the plastic templates I had used. I also used my 45mm cutter because when I tried cutting with the 28mm I cut my finger---twice! She recommends the 28 cutter, but I used the 45 with the new templates. I am currently collecting neutrals to make the quilt like the one in the book--wedding quilt and this will probably take me a year--maybe more! I say---stick with it. Keep going. I am not out of the beginner catagory yet, but managed to put it together out of sheer stubborness.!!
Old 01-23-2009, 09:47 AM

The blue & green one is looking really good. You are doing it!!!!! YEAH!!!!!