Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Wool Batting >

Wool Batting

Wool Batting

Old 01-29-2015, 06:22 AM

Originally Posted by selm View Post
Are you sure you want to double wool with cotton batting? I haven't used wool yet but understand it is quite warm even though light in weight. To add cotton to it might make it too warm.
Originally Posted by Jan in VA View Post
I was wondering the same thing. WHY?!
To me, the whole point of wool is that it's perfect for ALL weather -- warm in the winter, fine under AC in the summer; has the most wonderful drape - you'll LOVE this part; and very easy to quilt. I wouldn't defeat the whole purpose by double batting it with another wool batting, or especially with a cotton batting. Heavy doesn't necessarily mean warm!

Jan in VA
You ladies don't know my husband. He specifically wants a HEAVY, WARM quilt, so that's what he's getting. Right now he has two quilts (one of which is wool top, wool batting and flannel back, the other is all cotton) and a Vellux blanket, PLUS a big puffy comforter and thick flannel sheets on the bed....and we live in CA and have central heating and an upstairs bedroom so it's rarely less than 60 degrees in there. I have to kick off everything but the sheet most nights. And after all that, he still has to have a fan blowing on him year-round or he can't sleep.

The man is crazy and difficult to sleep next to, but I love him, so I will make a gigantic, heavy, hot quilt if that's what he wants. And since it'll be tied...if it turns out to be too much I can snip the ties and binding off and peel off a layer of batting without too much hassle, I think. But I think he'll like it with the double batt. I'm hoping this one quilt will replace the two that he's using now, and maybe also the Vellux blanket if I'm lucky. (I like how fuzzy the Vellux is but I hate how stretchy it is, it's hard to keep all that bedding straight with that stretchy blanket in the mix.)
Old 01-29-2015, 12:40 PM

Location: Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.

Originally Posted by Sewnoma View Post
You ladies don't know my husband. He specifically wants a HEAVY, WARM quilt, so that's what he's getting. Right now he has two quilts (one of which is wool top, wool batting and flannel back, the other is all cotton) and a Vellux blanket, PLUS a big puffy comforter and thick flannel sheets on the bed....and we live in CA and have central heating and an upstairs bedroom so it's rarely less than 60 degrees in there. I have to kick off everything but the sheet most nights. And after all that, he still has to have a fan blowing on him year-round or he can't sleep.

The man is crazy and difficult to sleep next to, but I love him, so I will make a gigantic, heavy, hot quilt if that's what he wants. And since it'll be tied...if it turns out to be too much I can snip the ties and binding off and peel off a layer of batting without too much hassle, I think. But I think he'll like it with the double batt. I'm hoping this one quilt will replace the two that he's using now, and maybe also the Vellux blanket if I'm lucky. (I like how fuzzy the Vellux is but I hate how stretchy it is, it's hard to keep all that bedding straight with that stretchy blanket in the mix.)
Okay, I get it now. My DD is the same way, she has always wanted heavy covers on her since she was little. She also has a bit of ADD (even though she is well respected pediatrician) and I've often wondered if that has something to do with it. She often finds it hard to 'turn off her mind' at night. I thought of this when I first read about the weighted blankets for autistic kids.

Jan in VA