Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Anyone buy and use already the Pellon battings one day Joann's sale?

Anyone buy and use already the Pellon battings one day Joann's sale?

Before Thanksgiving, Joanns was having a lot of one day sales and one of those days was a 60" wide x 20 yards of Quilters Touch® Polyester Batting by Pellon. It was siliconized polyester.

If you purchased this and used it... what do you think of it? It's on sale today and I'm wondering if I should pick up a roll or two of it.... They don't have it in the store for me to look at so I can't tell if it's decent batting. I don't like fluffy batting if that makes sense. Man I wish I could see and touch this in person!

I found my answer - here. I had originally searched before posting the question but didn't find an answer then I changed what I was searching for and found the right answer... sounds like it is a thin batting, which I do like.. but I think I'm going to pass. I know it sounds silly but it's $39.99 not $29.99 like when it was on sale before... I think I'll hold off for a better sale then try it. I have a lot of wall hangings to make for a project I'm working on and this could come in handy but I'll be good for awhile before I need more batting. If it were the same price as the Thanksgiving sales, I would have gotten a roll or two

Blog Entries
    I got a $40 Joann card for Christmas and I'm getting ready to order a roll right now. I know that doesn't help you out... I'm "going for it", but it's basically free for me. It's $.01 short of being able to use free shipping coupon, so I'll buy something else too

Doesn't that just get you? A penny short of being able to use the free shipping code. Maybe they'll have something else to pick up I think I'm going to gamble that it will be on sale for President's Day as well. I know. It's a risky gamble. I'll ask my husband what he thinks before I totally rule out getting it. I cringe that it's 25% more than the last time it was on sale. That's my thrifty side coming out. If hubby says to get it, I'll order two rolls of it and chalk it up to bad timing.

I'm annoyed at them that the email said their bulk fabric was on sale, and most of it is- but not the pfd stuff (which is labeled bulk fabric.)

Hope those who get it enjoy their batting.

Blog Entries
    There is a Pellon rep who belongs to my long arm group. I have used the cotton, recycled cotton and wool batting from Pellon Legacy and think it's comparable to other brands I've tried. I've not tried the poly or poly blend...
    "I do not understand how anyone can live without one small place of enchantment to turn to."
    Marjorie Kinnan Rawlings

Blog Entries
    Trying to think about math isn't working well this morning yet... how many quilts can you get out of this? (I found a little pen/paper set for $.70 to use my free shipping!)

I purchased that batting at the Thanksgiving sale, and I like it. It definitely is a thin batting and perfect for those purposes. I am making a baby quilt for a family member and am planning to use 2 layers, because they want fluffy. I think it will work good that way.

One thing I like about the batting is that the roll doesn't take up a huge amount of space and the batting is not rolled on there with creases. It is very easy to work with.

Dayle

Quote Originally Posted by AshleyR View Post
    Trying to think about math isn't working well this morning yet... how many quilts can you get out of this? (I found a little pen/paper set for $.70 to use my free shipping!)
    How big of a quilt are you making?

It is 60" wide (which I think is a little narrow, most of my quilts are at least that wide) and 20 yards long. So if you wanted to make a 58" square quilt, you could make 12 and have a little extra.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Skittl1321 View Post
    How big of a quilt are you making?

It is 60" wide (which I think is a little narrow, most of my quilts are at least that wide) and 20 yards long. So if you wanted to make a 58" square quilt, you could make 12 and have a little extra.
    I usually buy pre-packaged batting and stock up on the queen sized for around $15 each. I honestly don't even know if that's a good deal or not!

I usually buy pre-packaged batting and stock up on the queen sized for around $15 each. I honestly don't even know if that's a good deal or not!
    \

Queen is usually 90 x 108, so you'd have to piece this batting together to use it for that.
    By are (a queen uses 9,720 square inches, this batting has 43,200 square inches) you could make 4 quilts and have some left over, but I'm not sure how easy it would be to piece it that way.

However, this costs $40, and you could get at least 3, so that would put you ahead dollar wise, but it might not be worth the effort of piecing the batting.

"It is 60" wide (which I think is a little narrow, most of my quilts are at least that wide) and 20 yards long. So if you wanted to make a 58" square quilt, you could make 12 and have a little extra."

That would mean you spent 180.00 for 12 $15 sale battings--Sounds like I deal to me...piecing is what quilters do :-)
    Last edited by Pixquilt; 12-28-2012 at 11:09 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Pixquilt View Post
    "It is 60" wide (which I think is a little narrow, most of my quilts are at least that wide) and 20 yards long. So if you wanted to make a 58" square quilt, you could make 12 and have a little extra."

That would mean you spent 180.00 for 12 $15 sale battings--Sounds like I deal to me...piecing is what quilters do :-)
    Not quite, the $15 battings she said were queen size. 60" is a lot narrower than queen size (see my previous post about equivalent area), a 58" square is more like a throw. For queen, It works out closer to equivalent to 3 ($45) or 4 ($60) of the queen battings. So the price difference isn't too much greater and depends on if the hassle is worth it.

(As for "piecing is what quilters do"- I rarely ever piece, and I'm definetly a quilter.)

My local JoAnn's had it at Thanksgiving time. I went over and felt it and looked at it. I did not like the feel of it, seemed poor quality. It would probably be ok for wall hangings or craft projects.

the fact that it is 60" wide has taken it off of my list.......so how does it compare to w/n thin poly which is 90"wide? Figuring the width as well as the $$per length I wonder what the difference is.....not going to figure it out now, but I think w/n thin poly might be a better investment. I use the w/n poly and really like it both for quilts and wall warmers......

Blog Entries
    A friend gave me a bolt of it to use for the Hurricane Sandy quilts I have been making. I really like it. It feels kinda stiff , but when it is in the quilt, it feels like a much lighter (in weight) version of Warm and Natural. It is a little narrow for some of the quilts, but is very easy to zig zag pieces together. One thing I really like about it is that it is nice and straight along the edges versus packaged batting, which tends to be wavy and uneven. My longarm likes it, and that is what is important to me. Much cheaper than using W&N for charity quilts.

Blog Entries
    I decided against it this time. Gift card is still burning a hole in my pocket....

I bought a roll on sale. Since I make quilts no wider than 50inches, it seemed right for me. The batting is bait thinner but worked up fluffy when quilted. I liked it but would not pay $40 for it unless I was out of batting. Usually buy king size batts at michaels with a 40 percent off coupon but for me the 60 inch worked out fine.

I ordered one, sight unseen...added scissors to get shipping....glad some have used and liked it..For that price, I figured it would be hard to lose!

Blog Entries
    I am a longarm quilter and have use the Pellon batting that clients have brought me with their quilts and I like it just fine. It is thinner but that is one reason I like it.

Quote Originally Posted by Yarn or Fabric View Post
    Before Thanksgiving, Joanns was having a lot of one day sales and one of those days was a 60" wide x 20 yards of Quilters Touch® Polyester Batting by Pellon. It was siliconized polyester.

If you purchased this and used it... what do you think of it? It's on sale today and I'm wondering if I should pick up a roll or two of it.... They don't have it in the store for me to look at so I can't tell if it's decent batting. I don't like fluffy batting if that makes sense. Man I wish I could see and touch this in person!
    I really like it. I use a juki on a Gracie frame to quilt and have used it for several quilts. Especially kids quilts - quilts so easy and I like the feel better than 100% cotton - 20/80 still my favorite but would recommend this for kids quilts and charity quilts - but haven't been able to find where to buy it by the roll again

Banned
    I use Pellon battings and like them just fine. once in a quilt can't tell the difference from an expensive batting. I order mine by the bolt from Walmart online. They have so much more on line than in the stores. I mostly use 80/20 batting but have used others. I also buy my interfacings and stabilizers by the bolt. The prices are so much better than by-the-yard or small package prices, even beats JoAnns sale prices. If I don't have a large enough order to get free shipping(rarely happens) they ship it to my nearest store for free pick up.

Cari

I have bought that batting from Joann's twice (both times for $29.99) last year. I like it, but found that the second roll was thicker than the first. I would buy it again if Joann's ever has it again.

Quote Originally Posted by Daylesewblessed View Post
    I have bought that batting from Joann's twice (both times for $29.99) last year. I like it, but found that the second roll was thicker than the first. I would buy it again if Joann's ever has it again.
    It's 29.99 now with free ship.
    http://www.joann.com/pellon-siliconi...=false&start=1