Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Your favorite battings to use? And why? >

Your favorite battings to use? And why?

Your favorite battings to use? And why?

Old 07-30-2010, 10:08 PM

I have only ever used W&N and am looking to expand my knowledge of different types of batting.

What else do you guys use? Why do you choose that batting?
Old 07-30-2010, 10:55 PM

100% cotton these days. Never use 100% poly for mine. See this post as to why: http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-56705-1.htm

I use to use 80/20% cotton/poly, but found it was cheaper to buy Warm and Natural from Jo-Anns with the 40% off coupon.... Less expensive is better and it is just as warm.
Old 07-30-2010, 11:33 PM

My favorite is warm and natural. The reason is because it's easy to find and I can use coupons on it so it's pretty cheap. A year or so ago, I found a bunch of packaged queen size w&n battings at Joann's for about $5. I bought them all (sorry-I'm greedy!).
Old 07-31-2010, 04:11 AM

I love Mountain Mist White or Cream Rose. It's thin and easy to use. I can get an antique look to my quilts, or an cotemporary look if i want. It is expensive though. I use the Hobby Lobby coupons to get it. Or stock up when it's on sale. I use Warm and Natural when I want a heavier quilt.
Old 07-31-2010, 05:18 AM

I love using Quilters Dream Blend (70/30) for my machine quilting. It is soft, drapes well and quilts up nicely. I also like the puffiness or antique look from it when i wash it. You can also quilt up to 12" apart.
Old 07-31-2010, 05:33 AM

I use W&N. I have never used anything but cotton batting, for one thing W&N you can quilt up to 10 to 12 inches apart, and with so many allergies out there and I want they people I give them to to be able to enjoy them. Especially baby quilts.
I tried a poly once than my MIL gave me and it was a disaster!! Never again!
Old 07-31-2010, 05:41 AM

I only use Warm and Natural if it is my money buying it. lol
I am working on a quilt for my sister, she bought all the materal needed, and quilting it with Mountain Mist. It is a soft batting but I don't know if I like it or not. lol
Old 07-31-2010, 05:42 AM

I use many differnent battings... it is really very project specific.
I have used wool, bambo, poly, poly/cotton, cotton... all from differnent manufactures with various percentages of fiber content. Some I preshrink .. some I do not. I evaluate each project as the final outcome I want is diffenent. The only one I have not tried is silk. Sometimes I double batt and use two different types.
Old 07-31-2010, 05:55 AM

I used Warm and Natural in two quilts. I thought they were stiff as boards. I started using Hobbs 80/20 after that and I'm still using it. I really like the way it gives your quilting some definiition and it drapes really nice. I also like all the different Quilter's Dream battings. The cotton is wonderfully soft and very drapable. Dream Poly the only poly batting I'll use.
Old 07-31-2010, 07:01 AM

have only ever used warm and natural With coupons from Joanns I get it every chance I can at half price. My sil bought a whole bolt of it, she'll never run out