Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: favorite battings

Exclamation favorite battings

Hi everyone! It's been a while that I've been on here. Had surgery on my foot last June and was laid up way too long! Anyways, I'm just about done with my latest quilt for my daughter and was wondering what everyone's favorite batting is? We live in WNY, so I'm looking for warmth, but yet light weight too. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance!

Blog Entries
    Warm and natural
    Be kind today......

I just ordered some Hobbs Tuscany wool batting because I heard raves about it. It seems many people on the board like wool so I want to try it.
    Glad you're back and hope you're better now!

Soft & Bright by the Warm Company. It's 100% poly and has a bit more lift that W&N and half the price tag. Been my go-to for years, love it, wears well. My mom's favorite is W&N, she's been thru several rolls of it, uses it for hand quilting and machine quilting although she does 90% handwork

edited to add: I just noticed that you're up north, have you look at Warm & Plush? It's a nice batt, I used it once to make a gift for a family member that was cold all the time and it was thick and lush and super warm. Here in Texas the W&P is way too hot.

My new favorite is the Warm and Company's Warm and Plush. Its 100% cotton and I just love the drape. I feel like its warmer as well

I made a quilt for my mom and used Warm and Natural - she says its warm. If you want warm, I'd use flannel backing and a wool batting.
    my name is becca and i'm a quilt-a-holic :-)

Blog Entries
    Hobbs Heirloom washable wool batting would be my choice. It is warmer than cotton battings and comparable in weight to polyester (much lighter than cotton of similar warmth). Here is a link:
    http://www.hobbsbatting.com/products/heirloom/

Hobbs also has a Tuscany wool batting, but I saw some negative comments about it on a longarming group. It might have been a bad batch. Someone here on the QB had a bad bearding experience with Quilter's Dream wool batting, so I stick to Hobbs Heirloom.

Wool batting is more expensive, but Connecting Threads is having a sale on batting right now and that makes it more affordable.

Edit: This website lists the pro's and con's of different batting types. Wool is the warmest, followed by polyester, then cotton. Wool and polyester are among the lightest in weight; however, wool and cotton breathe better.
    https://www.createforless.com/buying...right-one.aspx
    Last edited by Prism99; 01-14-2018 at 01:00 PM.

My favorite batting is Hobbs Tuscany Silk.
    We are shaped by our thoughts; we become what we think. When the mind is pure, joy follows like a shadow that never leaves. Buddha

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Sync View Post
    My favorite batting is Hobbs Tuscany Silk.
    Oh, yes! Truly a luxury batting! I had the opportunity to handle some quilts made with silk batting. They were all hand quilted and wonderfully soft.

I use Warm and Natural or Warm and White.

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    I recently use Quilter's Dream 80/20 and LOVED how supple it was and easy to needle. Will definitely use it again.

Blog Entries
    Hobbs Wool batting. Lightweight, lofty, warm, Wonderful!
    to me the Warm n natural cotton batting is very heavy, but not very warm.
    Hobbs and Quilters Dream polyester batts are very nice too, and very warm
    hiding away in my stash where i'm warm, safe and happy

Blog Entries
    Hobbs Wool batting. Lightweight, lofty, warm, Wonderful! To me the warm & natural batting is very heavy, but not very warm
    the Hobbs and Quilters Dream batts are very nice. Their polyester battings are very nice to work with and warm too
    hiding away in my stash where i'm warm, safe and happy

Blog Entries
    I love the Quilters Dream wool batting. I have never had a problem with bearding. Personally, I think that has to do with the weave of the fabric and not the batting. The wool batting is soft and slightly heavier than cotton and breathable. Make nice definition for your stitching whether it is FMQor hand quilting.

I use Hobbs wool almost exclusively. The exception is when I make a baby quilt, I use Hobbs 80/20 (it may be washed in hot water).

At the Houston Festival, I asked Hobbs the difference between Heirloom and Tuscany and was told it was just the packaging. Tuscany is not as tightly packaged and takes up more space, but I like it best.

I once purchased batting from a bad batch and Hobbs replaced it (I had sent them a picture).

Super Member quiltingshorttimer's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    washable wool--lightweight and warm because it "breathes"--plus your quilting will "pop"

Quilter's Dream wool batting is awesome. Lightweight and warm. It's washable and my absolute favorite for my personal quilts.

Just fyi: Wool is a fiber that can keep you warm even when it's wet, unlike cotton, which won't keep you warm if it gets wet. Instead, wet cotton will wick heat out of your body, and is considered "dead man's cloth" in survival situations.

Quilters Dream select - very drapeable, warm, easy to quilt, soft

My favorite used to be Hobbs 80/20 Cotton/Poly blend. My new favorite is Hobbs 80/20 Cotton/Wool blend. It comes out of the package much more relaxed and ready to use than any other batting that I have tried... hardly any wrinkles and it handles beautifully. I stocked up at the Connecting Threads sale this month.

https://www.connectingthreads.com/ba...nyCtnWool.html

Hobbs Tuscany Cotton Wool Blend Batting

Just like wool in clothing, this cotton and wool batting will give you wonderful insulation. It gives you warmth without weight, and washes up perfectly. It is recommended to dry your projects flat. Resin bonded and drapeable, this batting quilts up to 4 inches apart. Shrinkage approx. 3%. The blend is 80% cotton and 20% wool.

Wool is the very best!

I use Warm and Natural for everything. It is not very light but nicely warm. I love it.
    Life is not a movie. No one is going to yell "CUT" when you make a mistake. - Anne L. Fulton

I am from the South....39 miles south of Boston.

I am in the process of switching to Hobbs washable wool batting. Wonderful stuff!
    SEW MUCH FUN!

Quilters Dream is my favorite. Usually the cotton poly blend but I have tried their others and like them too.

cheap poly batting. I like warmth and poof. Plus I make 30-40 quilts a year to give away, and I'd go broke with the expensive stuff.
    My name is Cathy - and I'm addicted to old sewing machines and their attachments.

just had surgery last nov...still recouping
    fav batting,,,,hobbs fusible,,,,no spraying or pinning
    hobbs for quality
    i buy the 30 ft roll for economy
    just bought my second one....hissy2 and happy new year

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast