Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Anyone buy and use already the Pellon battings one day Joann's sale? >

Anyone buy and use already the Pellon battings one day Joann's sale?

Anyone buy and use already the Pellon battings one day Joann's sale?

Old 12-28-2012, 07:06 AM

Originally Posted by AshleyR View Post
I usually buy pre-packaged batting and stock up on the queen sized for around $15 each. I honestly don't even know if that's a good deal or not!
\

Queen is usually 90 x 108, so you'd have to piece this batting together to use it for that.
By are (a queen uses 9,720 square inches, this batting has 43,200 square inches) you could make 4 quilts and have some left over, but I'm not sure how easy it would be to piece it that way.

However, this costs $40, and you could get at least 3, so that would put you ahead dollar wise, but it might not be worth the effort of piecing the batting.
Old 12-28-2012, 11:03 AM

"It is 60" wide (which I think is a little narrow, most of my quilts are at least that wide) and 20 yards long. So if you wanted to make a 58" square quilt, you could make 12 and have a little extra."

That would mean you spent 180.00 for 12 $15 sale battings--Sounds like I deal to me...piecing is what quilters do :-)

Last edited by Pixquilt; 12-28-2012 at 11:09 AM.
Old 12-28-2012, 11:17 AM

Originally Posted by Pixquilt View Post
"It is 60" wide (which I think is a little narrow, most of my quilts are at least that wide) and 20 yards long. So if you wanted to make a 58" square quilt, you could make 12 and have a little extra."

That would mean you spent 180.00 for 12 $15 sale battings--Sounds like I deal to me...piecing is what quilters do :-)
Not quite, the $15 battings she said were queen size. 60" is a lot narrower than queen size (see my previous post about equivalent area), a 58" square is more like a throw. For queen, It works out closer to equivalent to 3 ($45) or 4 ($60) of the queen battings. So the price difference isn't too much greater and depends on if the hassle is worth it.

(As for "piecing is what quilters do"- I rarely ever piece, and I'm definetly a quilter.)
Old 12-29-2012, 10:17 AM

My local JoAnn's had it at Thanksgiving time. I went over and felt it and looked at it. I did not like the feel of it, seemed poor quality. It would probably be ok for wall hangings or craft projects.
Old 12-29-2012, 10:40 AM

the fact that it is 60" wide has taken it off of my list.......so how does it compare to w/n thin poly which is 90"wide? Figuring the width as well as the $$per length I wonder what the difference is.....not going to figure it out now, but I think w/n thin poly might be a better investment. I use the w/n poly and really like it both for quilts and wall warmers......
Old 12-30-2012, 05:27 AM

A friend gave me a bolt of it to use for the Hurricane Sandy quilts I have been making. I really like it. It feels kinda stiff , but when it is in the quilt, it feels like a much lighter (in weight) version of Warm and Natural. It is a little narrow for some of the quilts, but is very easy to zig zag pieces together. One thing I really like about it is that it is nice and straight along the edges versus packaged batting, which tends to be wavy and uneven. My longarm likes it, and that is what is important to me. Much cheaper than using W&N for charity quilts.
Old 12-30-2012, 06:21 AM

Originally Posted by AshleyR View Post
I usually buy pre-packaged batting and stock up on the queen sized for around $15 each. I honestly don't even know if that's a good deal or not!
I decided against it this time. Gift card is still burning a hole in my pocket....
Old 12-30-2012, 07:35 AM

I bought a roll on sale. Since I make quilts no wider than 50inches, it seemed right for me. The batting is bait thinner but worked up fluffy when quilted. I liked it but would not pay $40 for it unless I was out of batting. Usually buy king size batts at michaels with a 40 percent off coupon but for me the 60 inch worked out fine.
Old 12-30-2012, 08:20 AM

I ordered one, sight unseen...added scissors to get shipping....glad some have used and liked it..For that price, I figured it would be hard to lose!
Old 12-30-2012, 10:49 AM

I am a longarm quilter and have use the Pellon batting that clients have brought me with their quilts and I like it just fine. It is thinner but that is one reason I like it.