Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Wool Batting >
  • Wool Batting

• Wool Batting

Old 01-28-2015, 03:49 AM

Default Wool Batting

Dream Wool or Hobbs? I am going to be machine quilting but I also want a lightweight bat for this project. I have used, and like, the Dream wool I have never used Hobbs. Are there any other wool bats? I did a Google search but all I got was Hobbs and Dream.
    Old 01-28-2015, 05:32 AM
    Power Poster

I love Legacy wool. It's the Pellon brand batting, you need to quilt about 4" apart, washes well.
    Old 01-28-2015, 05:35 AM
    Power Poster

I have an older Hobbs wool batting but I have never used it yet.
    Old 01-28-2015, 05:56 AM

I have used both Dream Wool and Hobbs and they are about the same. I have a preference for the Quilter's Dream products, but a lot of my customer prefer the Hobbs products so I carry both as a longarmmer.
    Old 01-28-2015, 06:18 AM

I have a Hobbs wool lap quilt over my legs right now. It was my first wool batting, and I still love it after 4-5 years. I wash mine in the washing machine on gentle and I dry it on low in the dryer.

Pam
    Old 01-28-2015, 06:23 AM

I haven't used it yet, but I have a Quilter's Deam wool batt right now. I haven't ever used wool so I opened the bag to check it out and I LIKE it. It's for a king size quilt and I'm going to double-batt the quilt (with cotton also) so I need to work up the courage to tackle that, LOL. But the batting feels very luxurious, I think I'm going to be very fond of this quilt when it's finally done!
    Old 01-28-2015, 11:26 AM

Originally Posted by Sewnoma
    I haven't used it yet, but I have a Quilter's Deam wool batt right now. I haven't ever used wool so I opened the bag to check it out and I LIKE it. It's for a king size quilt and I'm going to double-batt the quilt (with cotton also) so I need to work up the courage to tackle that, LOL. But the batting feels very luxurious, I think I'm going to be very fond of this quilt when it's finally done!
    Are you sure you want to double wool with cotton batting? I haven't used wool yet but understand it is quite warm even though light in weight. To add cotton to it might make it too warm.
    Old 01-28-2015, 12:52 PM

Massdrop.com has a deal going now for Quilters Dream wool at a good price and you can pick the size(s) that you want. Depending on the size(s) you can get up to 3 batts for around $48.
    Old 01-28-2015, 10:56 PM

Location: Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.

Originally Posted by selm
    Are you sure you want to double wool with cotton batting? I haven't used wool yet but understand it is quite warm even though light in weight. To add cotton to it might make it too warm.
    I was wondering the same thing. WHY?!
    To me, the whole point of wool is that it's perfect for ALL weather -- warm in the winter, fine under AC in the summer; has the most wonderful drape - you'll LOVE this part; and very easy to quilt. I wouldn't defeat the whole purpose by double batting it with another wool batting, or especially with a cotton batting. Heavy doesn't necessarily mean warm!

Jan in VA
    Old 01-29-2015, 03:29 AM
    Power Poster

I use both, and Love both! I tend to ( stock up) on Hobbs wool when Connecting Threads is having their batting sale & a couple times a year a sort of local quilt shop who carries all of the Dream battings has a sale & I grab the wools ( and the dream orient) at those sales.

Jan in VA - many longarm quilters use a wool batting along with a cotton when they want to really showcase their quilting. The wool batting's loft on top of the cotton really adds wonderful definition to the stitching. Fairly { common practice} in the longarm community among the quilters doing custom, show, & whole cloth quilting