Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Wool batting users >

Wool batting users

Wool batting users

Old 06-25-2014, 08:10 AM

Default Wool batting users

I am very eager to try quilting with a wool batting, have always used cotton until now. Those of you who prefer wool batting, do you always check with the intended recipient of the quilt about allergy to wool? Do you ever give a wool batting quilt without having checked about that? Have you had many instances of feedback about problems with wool batting quilts?
Old 06-25-2014, 08:18 AM

Wool batting is so expensive that I only use it in quilts for my DH and me. I really like the drape it gives.
Old 06-25-2014, 08:32 AM
Power Poster

I've used many wool battings-hands down my favorite... I use either Dream Wool or Hobbs Wool... I have given two quilts with wool battings to family members who swear they are Horribly allergic to wool... Neither of them have had any problems with their quilts. I let them know I would make them new ones if a problem came up... One of them has had their quilt for about 5 years...and she uses it all the time. I don't know if the wool battings are somehow (hypoallergenic).. But I have not found any problems using them
Old 06-25-2014, 08:40 AM

Often it is the chemicals used to treat the wool, rather than the wool itself, that triggers allergic reactions.
Old 06-25-2014, 08:55 AM

i would check with people. i was surprised to find that some of the recipients of my quilts wanted the slightly less warm cotton over wool, and that another just doesn't like wool.

i love working with it. i love the drape of it, how it needles, how warm it is....everything.

aileen
Old 06-25-2014, 10:20 AM

Hobbs has just come out with a new silk / wool combination batting. We had one of their reps at our guild meeting in May. It hasn't gotten wide distribution yet, but I'm betting that they have it at the quilt shows. I'll wait until the big one in Houston and buy a couple batts there.
Old 06-26-2014, 05:14 AM

I only use wool batting if a customer requests it. Wool has a lot of loft and I personally prefer the flatter look I get with cotton.