Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Worlds oldest UFO and  its wonktastic. >

Worlds oldest UFO and its wonktastic.

Worlds oldest UFO and its wonktastic.

Old 05-24-2014, 07:44 AM

Default Worlds oldest UFO and its wonktastic.

Back in 1995 maybe 96 my mom and I took a class with Elenor Burns to make this star quilt. Obviously I didn't finish mine I put it away for a later date. Well I pulled it out yesterday and now I remember why I put it away. Talk about an off center, lumpy, bumpy, mess. But since it is the last project I ever worked on with my mom I would like to finish it somehow. I thought about trying to take it apart and re sewing the blades but it was so pulled on before I feel like it would creat even more issues. My other thought is just taking all the setting pieces off and appliquéing it down then adding the borders. I would welcome any of your thoughts or ideas too.

Ignore the blues it's laying on another quilt I am currently working on.
Attached Thumbnails image.jpg  

Last edited by Billi; 05-24-2014 at 08:03 AM. Reason: More info
Old 05-24-2014, 08:05 AM
Power Poster

What I would suggest is that you draw the actually size of the diamond block. Use that as a template. I used the stiff interfacing I could find. See if your discrepancies are from the diamond block or if it's your setting background are off. Then you will know how to proceed. Maybe just one diamond is off. If you find that it is mostly the background sections, then I would buy new fabrics and replace it. You are a better quilt now then you were in the 90s and so am I. That is what I did with a Lone Star from EB and I got it done and sold it. I have one more done in patriotic colors that I need to tackle too. Good Luck !!
Old 05-24-2014, 08:07 AM

It's a pretty star! I would remove the setting pieces and appliqué them on another fabric. You could use a narrow bias tape to attach the star..then you wouldn't have to turn under the blades...the bias tape would make it possible to keep the blade edges sharp.
Old 05-24-2014, 08:15 AM
Power Poster

If you feel the star is flat enough after you lightly press it, then I would say to take off the setting squares and replace them with nicely starched ones the right size. From here it looks as though that is the wonky part of the quilt. That is one beautiful quilt and deserves to be finished.
Old 05-24-2014, 08:45 AM

Great suggestions here! I really like the comment that you are a better quilter now. You can do this!! :-)

I made one of these about the same time and it's still sitting on a shelf waiting to be quilted. It turned out ok but now you've got me thinking it might be kind of fun to try another one since I'm more experienced now, too.

You really have a beautiful star there and a beautiful reason to finish it.
Old 05-24-2014, 08:46 AM
Power Poster

As long as the star lays flat, I would remove the setting pieces and put them back in but with a seam in the center of the big pieces. The new lone stars frequently have seam in those large sections now. If the star is a bit wonky, you can cut the star in half and place the center at the side. Someone posted one done like this in green on QB? It looked modern and fun.
Old 05-24-2014, 08:59 AM

I agree it looks like just the setting pieces are the only parts that look wonky. I'd starch the daylights out of the star and replace the setting pieces. Might be able to re-use the existing pieces by starting your stitching from the inside corners out and then trimming off any extra?
Old 06-01-2014, 08:49 AM

I can't tell from the photo if this was done, but the setting pieces can be done as triangles without any y-seams. If each of the eighths of the star will lie flat, then the star can be repieced by just re-doing the setting triangles. Check the angle on the eighths and be sure it is 45 degrees. If not, take small tucks in the seams to make it 45 degrees.
Old 06-01-2014, 09:23 AM

The star actually looks ok. I would would spray some starch on the star and press it to be sure it lays flat, then I would remove the setting pieces, and after measuring carefully, cut and sew new setting pieces. You might even want to audition a different color fabric for the setting pieces.
Old 06-02-2014, 03:34 AM

Such a beautiful star. Can hardly wait to see it done. Please let us know how you decided to finish it.