Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
would it be horrible? >

would it be horrible?

would it be horrible?

Old 06-23-2011, 11:14 PM

I just got a used Janome 6500 from the dealor yesterday and I thought I would love it. It had paint chipped off the front, it doesn't sew as nice as I thought it would and it's eating my fabric. I just don't love this machine and I paid $600 for it. Would I be horrible if I called him tomorrow and told him I don't want it and I want to return it? Do you think he will take it back? I feel so sick over this...
Old 06-23-2011, 11:19 PM

Absolutely take it back. You just bought it; there's no way he could refuse to refund your money. :thumbdown:
Old 06-23-2011, 11:28 PM

Originally Posted by QUILT4JOY
Absolutely take it back. You just bought it; there's no way he could refuse to refund your money. :thumbdown:
U don't think its different for used machines? I feel so bad cuz it was his machine but he didn't tell me about any cosmetic damage either... Should I just say I didn't like how it sews? Cuz its true....
Old 06-24-2011, 12:17 AM

Definitely take it back. Just be honest with him and I'm sure he will understand. Good luck and let us know what happens.
Old 06-24-2011, 12:27 AM

He cannot refuse to refund your money. You said 2 things. 1. you bought it in a store and 2. it was his personal machine. When you take it back, take the fabric you tried to sew that kept getting caught and have him demonstrate to you how it should work properly. $600 is way too much money for him to tell you he won't refund you. Unless it's too inconvenient for you to go to the store, I would not call him first. But even if you call him he should (as a reputable store owner) be happy to demonstrate on your fabric to show you what might have been the problem. It is actually illegal for him to expect you to *eat* your money like his machine ate your fabric. Good luck. Be insistent! Be stubborn! Don't take no for answer. Take an aggressive friend with you who can help you stand firm that you want a refund. I got my Viking machine for $399. It's not a computerized machine, but I prefer the mechanical machines anyway.
Old 06-24-2011, 01:06 AM
Administrator

i would not recommend that you approach the dealer in any manner that could be perceived as hostile or aggressive.

in fact, he might not be obligated to take the machine back and give you a refund. this is especially true in the case of used machines. they are commonly sold "as is".

i am not suggesting that i believe he would be right to refuse a refund. i'm only pointing out that he might be legally free to refuse.

the suggestion that you take the proof/sample of the problem with you is excellent. i would also take along a good supply of sizable scraps to use while showing him the problem(s) you had when you tried to sew with it.

it might be that you need some pointers in proper use of the machine. it might be that a tension setting needs to be tweaked, or that he goofed up somewhere along the line when he serviced it before putting it up for sale.

he would be rather foolish to just blow you off. after all, he will want to be your first choice if/when you decide to purchase any more machines in the future. in a case like this, most dealers will not give a refund until they have made every possible attempt to solve whatever the problem is so that you take it back home in good working order.
Old 06-24-2011, 01:22 AM
Power Poster

never spend so much with out test driving the machine you would like to buy!
it should be looked at like buying a car-
you wouldn't buy a car (even a $600 car-without taking it around the block
i wish you luck with your return-
next time you are considering a new machine- go try a few out=then choose the one for you-
that machine may be a dream for someone else and just not (your thing)
i have a viking some people hate- and would rather use the little brother- others fight for the right to use the viking-
different people like different machines- you need to find what works FOR YOU.
Old 06-24-2011, 03:18 AM

He sold you something that doesn't work correctly. Call him back and gently describe whats going on and explain your desires and position. Keep in mind ... you catch more flies with honey than with vinegar.
Old 06-24-2011, 03:25 AM

U should take it back..
Old 06-24-2011, 03:27 AM

Totally take it back. You have to live with it ya know... I'd return it in a heartbeat.