Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
What a horrible day...I hate hospitals >

What a horrible day...I hate hospitals

What a horrible day...I hate hospitals

Old 06-08-2011, 06:33 PM

My boyfriend had surgery to help his sleep apnea on Friday. At 2 am this morning he came into the bedroom and stated "something is wrong!" his wound was more than seeping. It had gotten infected. I quickly got up and said we are going to the E.R. ...he said "wait I can get it to stop"....we waited long enough for me to get dressed and out the door.

The smell was just awful! They admitted him and pumped him full of fluids and antibiotics. We don't have the cultures or blood tests back yet. But the good news is that he is doing better. The swelling has gone down and his pain is now manageable. He is drinking on his own now as well. He has not eaten since Thursday night and had nearly nothing to drink relative to his body mass.

After only having 2 hours of sleep in the last 36 I am home and wiped out to say the least. I have been playing nurse maid for nearly a week at home and in the hospital. I can feel my Fibromalgia getting ready to flair and I am just sick that I can't be at his side overnight. I hope to get some rest and quickly return to his side.

All the prayers and well wishes are welcome and appreciated. Thank you for letting me vent a bit.
Old 06-08-2011, 06:37 PM

People in the hospital need an advocate with them. Kudos to you for being that for your friend. Take care of yourself and all will work out fine.
Old 06-08-2011, 06:38 PM

Prayers and get well soon wishes are being sent his way.....and to you too!!! Hope you get some well deserved rest tonight!
Old 06-08-2011, 06:39 PM

Bless your heart!! Something like that is soooo draining.....He is fortunate to have you....Hope his recovery is quick and complete!!!! and that you get some badly needed rest. Isn't it great to have some place to tell your story and know so many will be concerned and care about your plight? :thumbup:
Old 06-08-2011, 06:41 PM

Originally Posted by Marty K
Isn't it great to have some place to tell your story and know so many will be concerned and care about your plight? :thumbup:
It really is...just an impartial place to vent and no one to take care of...just to talk from the heart.

He knows how lucky he is to have me...and I know I am lucky to have him as well. He is a very good man and deserves the best that I can give him.
Old 06-08-2011, 06:41 PM

Originally Posted by Marty K
Isn't it great to have some place to tell your story and know so many will be concerned and care about your plight? :thumbup:
It really is...just an impartial place to vent and no one to take care of...just to talk from the heart.

He knows how lucky he is to have me...and I know I am lucky to have him as well. He is a very good man and deserves the best that I can give him.
Old 06-08-2011, 06:45 PM

Big hugs your way. I just spent 2 days at the hospital, one with my nephew who had a sudden brain annurisym. They did emergency surgery on him & he's doing better than well. He's doing great so far, but he's not home yet either. He's not out of the woods by far. Then the next day I went for myself & testing & stopped by to see him. I didn't get home until after 10 pm each night & I was zapped. Lisa (Greg's wife) said they don't make it comfortable for you at the ICU either. The chairs are not fit to sleep in, they only give out pillows at 9 PM & are in there cleaning around 7 a.m.! Said they run the waiting room like a military camp! I will send prayers your way & I hope his surgery works for him! I'd like to have it done but not ready for that yet!
Old 06-08-2011, 06:49 PM

I am sure once the medicines work, he'll be fine. Sleep and tomorrow will be better.
Old 06-08-2011, 06:57 PM

Sorry to hear that happened. You are in my thoughts as is your boyfriend.
Old 06-08-2011, 07:04 PM
Power Poster

Unless the patient is in ICU then someone needs to be with them all the time in the hospital room. Remember never never be hesitant about speaking up and asking what is that medicine, let me look at it, why, when, what and why about every thing needs to be asked about every little detail of the patient care. Mistakes happen or things get overlooked. Whenever I have to stay in the hospital with a family member I keep my own chart and write everything down, times, meds, everything. I know when it's time for each med, test and everything else in between.