Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
would it be horrible? >

would it be horrible?

would it be horrible?

Old 06-24-2011, 03:33 AM
Power Poster

Definitely take it back but I agree with the others who say not to be hostile. That usually puts the other person on the defensive.
Old 06-24-2011, 03:38 AM

I would certainly go and talk to him. That is a very expensive machine, and $600 seems like a very good price.

Is it the fact that it has a chip that you don't like, or the sewing?

If it is the sewing, perhaps he can help you with that.

If it is the chip that really bothers you, well it would depend on where it is. I have little decals all over my machine, because I wanted it to be my own.

I am looking to replace mine though soon, but I will take all my decals off and put them on my new machine. I was actually considering the machine you purchased. So I would be interested in hearing what it is you do not like really about it.
Attached Thumbnails attachment-215963.jpe   attachment-215964.jpe  
Old 06-24-2011, 04:18 AM

there is something called an "implied warranty of merchantibility" - that means, if it is a sewing machine it is supposed to sew!! If it is a lawn mower it should mow the lawn. etc.

Don't feel bad about taking it back, I am sure the seller wants a happy customer. Maybe it is a simple fix.
Old 06-24-2011, 04:31 AM

I have had my Janome 6500 since May 2004 and I have always had the issues you described. The bed of my machine does have worn off paint and missing paint in a couple of places. The paint has also worn off around the edge where the acrylic surround sits. This machine has always liked to chew up fabric at the start and veers off the seam line at seam junctions. The bobbin case will also knock, rattle and jump out of place if that oil wick under the bobbin case dries out (they don't tell you that in the manual!). I have had a love/hate relationship with this machine since I bought it. I know other owners sing its praises but in my opinion it does have some issues. Good luck resolving this with your dealer.
Old 06-24-2011, 04:32 AM

No way - take it back.
Old 06-24-2011, 04:37 AM

Hopefully it will be a simple fix but I would definitely take it back and talk to him.
Old 06-24-2011, 04:45 AM

If you aren't happy with it now, you won't be happy with it later! I would at least call and try. Maybe he would have a used 6600. I have a 6600 and love it!
Old 06-24-2011, 06:13 AM

I have a 6600 and make sure your fabric is really close to the needle. If not, your 1st stitch could get stuck, because you probably are using the reg. face plate that is for zig zag or embriodery stitches. I've purchased a single hole plate for my machine and don't have problems when piecing. Even when I use my reg. face plate I'm not having problems, just make sure the fabric is really close to the needle before stitching.
Old 06-24-2011, 06:23 AM

Originally Posted by Amythyst02
I would certainly go and talk to him. That is a very expensive machine, and $600 seems like a very good price.

Is it the fact that it has a chip that you don't like, or the sewing?

If it is the sewing, perhaps he can help you with that.

If it is the chip that really bothers you, well it would depend on where it is. I have little decals all over my machine, because I wanted it to be my own.

I am looking to replace mine though soon, but I will take all my decals off and put them on my new machine. I was actually considering the machine you purchased. So I would be interested in hearing what it is you do not like really about it.
Those decals look darling on your machine!!
Old 06-24-2011, 06:38 AM

First, I would make sure I was calm. Then make the phone call. Gentle conversation asking if your concerns are with the machine itself, or the way the machine handles and it could be checked over and adjusted to your satisfaction? If it can't be resolved with that particular machine, I personally would make sure to mention that I am interested in another machine from him or the business, and what would he suggest? If possible, test it out before agreeing to anything. Working with the person makes a bigger impact than working against him. Good luck to you! Don't settle. You sew because you love it, you should really enjoy sewing on the machines too.