Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 6 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Would you combine these 2 colors together for a monochromatic quilt? Not sure.

Would you combine these 2 colors together for a monochromatic quilt? Not sure.

I am excited to be planning 2 purple monochromatic quilts.

I'm looking for the red star quilt where the blocks form a large star (ohio??) See post #4 for photo. Really incredible.

http://www.google.com/imgres?q=blue+...81&tx=94&ty=70 This one is referred to as a Kaffe Economy Blue quilt.

I have amassed a large collection of purple batiks but they fall into 2 different color families. I have a collection that is more a violet-blue and then another collection that is violet-plum (or red). Would you only use one color collection or consider these both as "purples" and mix them? I am thinking that maybe because you want the look to be more uniform for the Ohio Star one to only use one collection (my favorite is the violet blue one) and then maybe using both mixed for the Economy quilt. I would like to hear other opinions as I find color selection to be very difficult.

Here are my collections. The first photo is all fabrics, the second is the violet-blue one and the last is the violet-plum one. Thanks.
    Attached Images Attached Images      

Blog Entries
    Sure! Beautiful combinations.

Yum, purple is my favorite, love both collections and I think you have a good plan to use them.
    Come to Me and I will give you rest--Jesus.

Oh my I must stop drooling on my keyboard your collection of purple batiks is soooooooo beautiful !!!

I am hand piecing a drunkards path using a combination of both of those colourways in batiks at present and they mix very well together in the quilt top.
    QB Albums: Lynnie25's Quilts; Lyn's Dolls Quilt Swap Quilts

Blog Entries
    I would combine them for both quilts. Makes the quilts more interesting for me. Blues and reds especially, it seems to me, easily become boring when the fabrics are too alike.

I think they'd look great. Those are my favorite colors in gatiks.

Technically they're not monochromatic.

They're beautiful and I think more interesting than monochromatic

Blog Entries
    Why not put together. Purple matches purple and we frequently put blue with red. They are beautiful colours please hurry and put together and show finished top.
    Finished is better than a UFO

I say the more the merrier. I am a nut for blue and one of my favorite quilts I ever made is a "monochromatic" that stretches the blue at both ends of the spectrum, including some that are nearly green turqoisy blues, and some that are almost purple. It gives a richer texture to a "one-color" quilt, imho.
    www.makeminepatchwork.etsy.com
    www.zibbet.com/makeminepatchwork

"Piecin' a quilt's like livin' a life...The Lord sends us the pieces, but we can cut 'em out and put 'em together pretty much to suit ourselves, and there's a heap more in the cuttin' and the sewin' than there is in the caliker...I've had a heap of comfort all my life making quilts, and now in my old age I wouldn't take a fortune for them." (Eliza Calvert Hall, Aunt Jane of Kentucky)

I think your quilt will have much more 'movement' if you mix all the colours - more 'life' to it (if you know what I mean, lol).
    Lang may yer lum reek.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 ... LastLast