Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Would you work at Walmart (fabric department)? >

Would you work at Walmart (fabric department)?

Would you work at Walmart (fabric department)?

Old 10-14-2014, 08:40 AM

You might also consider being a nanny. Here is Phoenix it pays way better than retail. I was a preschool teacher. We have a big internet place to look for job called Care.com. It is in other places also. I looked for part time and found just what I wanted and never week ends.

I worked in a fabric store in Framingham MA and really liked it. My kids were young then. It was 3 nights a week and Saturdays. The lady at our Wal-Mart in MD liked working there and was VERY sad when they did away with the fabric department. I used to see her in other departments like shoes.
Old 10-14-2014, 08:41 AM

Originally Posted by QuiltedCritterLady View Post
Here's my two-cents worth on the question: I would definitely consider a part time job in the WalMart fabric department if I wanted to work with fabric. I was just let go from a small quilt shop here in Phoenix because the owner said she could not afford her payroll. (And believe me, I was not making much to begin with ...) I had been enjoying the job and so I went to find another in a different quilt shop. What I found was that they are all struggling. At least you would not have to worry about getting paid at WM.
35 Avenue is hiring.
Old 10-14-2014, 09:00 AM

QuiltingNinaSue and Onebyone are correct. As an ex-Walmart employee I can tell you that when you apply, you cannot specify in which area you are willing to work and you would have to give open availability. You would not be considered if you refuse to work evenings, week-ends or (in some cases) holidays. The front end--cashiers--have the highest turnover of staff. If you were lucky enough to get a floor (department) position, being the lowest on the totem pole would definitely mean the less sought after shifts. Part time is 12-27 hours per week. The few months before Christmas are the busiest. Jan-March see hours cut to the bone. The manager of the store makes a huge difference. I worked under two--the first was fairly easy-goingaltho he showed a lot of favouritism. The second was a nightmare.

If you really think you want to try it out, see if your local store is hiring seasonal staff for Thanksgiving/Christmas. At least it would give you a taste of the job.
Old 10-14-2014, 09:42 AM
Power Poster

If I didn't have a full time job now, I would seriously think about working in the fabric department. I am knowledgeable about sewing and could possibly help with customer questions.
Old 10-14-2014, 09:48 AM
Power Poster

Why don't you try it and see? It's easy enough to quit if you don't like it.
Old 10-14-2014, 09:52 AM

I'm an ex-Wally Fabric dept (7yrs) I loved the job for the very reasons that you state.
Plus you get a discount card for the rest of the store also, you need to think about that.
There are good points and bad to every job out there.
Old 10-14-2014, 09:53 AM
Power Poster

When we had a Walmart fabric dept. , you had to hunt down someone to cut fabric. You could try it to see if you get to work fabric or if you are required to cover all the neighboring departments too.
Old 10-14-2014, 10:04 AM

I know people that work at Wal-Mart and it is not an ideal place to work. I doubt that they would guarantee you a job in the fabric department. Low pay, constant pushing to do more and no appreciation for a job well done. Believe me, Wal-Mart is all about profits. Not overly fond of that place, but yet I do shop there because in our rural area it's the only department store within 60 or so miles.
Old 10-14-2014, 10:13 AM

I sure would. Maybe you would upgrade the place where you worked! Nothing wrong with working there.
Old 10-14-2014, 10:20 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by MartiToo View Post
I have volunteered at our local food pantry and library, and it seems to tick off dh that I give away time without getting anything out of it.
Don't give up what is good for your well being just to keep someone from being less ticked off about it.