Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Wrapped clothesline

Smile Wrapped clothesline

Do you wrap a good bit of clothesline before you begin sewing the coil together? What else do you do to make this project a little easier? Would like to make a bowl to begin. Happy New Year to everyone.
    Lizzy in La.

Blog Entries
    Sorry Lizzy, I don't understand, why are you using clothesline?? I am missing something, maybe just my brain.

Quote Originally Posted by lizzy View Post
    Do you wrap a good bit of clothesline before you begin sewing the coil together? What else do you do to make this project a little easier? Would like to make a bowl to begin. Happy New Year to everyone.
    Just found information I was looking for in tutorials. Thanks.
    Lizzy in La.

I have made a few items and taught this to our quilting guild. I personally just wrap 4-5 feet and then sew a little, then wrap a little. You can also wrap longer clothesline, it just depends on your preference.

Lived in San Diego now retired in Eagar, AZ.
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by lizzy View Post
    NO, i wrap and sew, wrap and sew, approx 4--6 inches ahead of where I'm sewing....stop with needle DOWN, wrap a few more inches, sew a few more inches.... goes really fast and you would have to stabilize those long areas...are you willing to sew twice... or have glue all over.... wrap and sew...you'll like it...

When a group of us made the bowls out of wrapped clothesline most wrapped only about 6-8 inches before doing the sewing. Since I have arthritis in my hands I got tired out too soon to make anything much. Now, I do all my wrapping first as it is a good 'take along' project for when I go for various appointments or travel a bit. My bowls look more primitive or rustic but that is OK with me.

ali
    Have fun quilting! If it isn't fun, you will miss a lot.
    ali

Happy wrappy, be sure to post pic of your project.
    Cottontop
    (Sally)

What is the tutorial that is reference called? Looks like I missed the original post but the project sounds interesting. I can sort of figure out it has to do with wrapping clothline with cloth strips and winding the covered line around to form a bowl shape. However, I need to know what you use to sew the strips together and how it's done. Thanks.
    Fabric is like money, no matter how much you have it's never enough.