Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Yikes!  Need some positive thoughts for my long arm machine! >

Yikes! Need some positive thoughts for my long arm machine!

Yikes! Need some positive thoughts for my long arm machine!

Old 12-12-2016, 08:24 PM

Default Yikes! Need some positive thoughts for my long arm machine!

I have a Gammill 2006 Classic Plus long arm that I bought used from a deceased guild member in mid-2013. Some replacement parts over the last 3 years, but basically problem free. In the last 3 months I've notice a very faint metal-on-metal skreech when I'm quilting. Finally called Gammill rep today--he said that I haven't been using enough oil (which I had cut back on cause book talked 5-6 drops while he's saying12-15 in the one spot) and concern is if I don't get it all "oiled" and broken free, that internal bushings will freeze up and cause major problems. So oiling like crazy but sure hope I don't have other problems between now and Jan when they can send a tech to my house!
Old 12-12-2016, 08:34 PM

I had a similar experience. I have the Gammil Classic Plus and hadn't used it for several weeks plus didn't oil it........ I learned my lesson and always always always oil and run the machine to warm it up and get the oil moving.
Best wishes!!!
Old 12-13-2016, 03:26 AM

Do you think I need oiling? I had always admired my friend's APQS Melinium 12 foot long arm. She turned out some very nice stuff and the stuff on the internet was stupendous. So I bought it and paid for it. I had some Amish deliver it and we set it up and I did one quilt. I am not the least bit skilled. It looked so easy, and yet in the mean time I got older and sicker and just lost interest. There is not too much wrong with me now, other than I do not have the fire...mentally. Has anyone else gone through this?

Marcia
Old 12-13-2016, 05:21 AM

Battle axe - lost your fire....sorry. Yes, I think at one time or another, we have all been there. And we are all getting older- yuck! Working with a longarm is not an instant skill-well maybe some have that "gift". You have a Millie, how great is that.....but you must start easy and work into hard...I have a very old apqs,no complaints, and have been l/a for a long time. I started out with simple, but not straight line pantos...lots of curves and easy movement....til you get the "feel" of the machine and then try a little ruler work on front side. But you have to do a little every day....put up plain muslin sandwich, this way you can see how you have progressed. Oh, fun thing.....write your name (cursive) from front... Hmm, wonder what this new generation of kids kids who are not taught cursive will do....oh, I forgot, use the computer, of course! Sorry, I digress........and it's winter....short days, no sunshine, hard on the mental attitude, which controls our physical in so many ways....think spring!!!!!!!!!
Old 12-13-2016, 06:39 AM

Marsha, I am going thru the same thing. I am blaming the winter weather, grey skies etc. as it's been an on again off again thing for the last couple of years. It's like I lost my mojo. lol I just keep on telling myself that this too shall pass.... In the meantime, I keep trying. some days chickens and some days feathers !
Old 12-13-2016, 06:56 AM

I have a 2011 Gammill Vision and took the 2 day class back then that came with it. Basically, what I learned is that you really can't over oil the machine. I oil mine at the start of each day that I am using it. If I don't use it for awhile, I oil at least once a week. I keep a piece of batting under the machine to catch any oil drippings. My machine does great! Never any tension issues and it just purrs along.
Old 12-13-2016, 07:03 AM

Hope your machine ends up fine. When we were visiting relatives (and quilt shops) my husband got to talking to a service guy that did the HQ machines, and he told DH all about the "normal" servicing they require. He said to get the kit and DH could do it himself. the problem appears to be that HQ won't sell it to anyone other than a licensed dealer. We have not checked yet with the company we bought the machine through, but we are hoping they'll order one for us, and not require us to bring the machine in to them.
Old 12-13-2016, 06:06 PM

still working on new stockings but plan to load some practice fabric later this week, drench the oil spot below the motor eith the 3x drops of oil that the dealer recommended and then give it a whirl! I'll let you know....
Old 12-14-2016, 03:44 AM

Thanks to all for the words of encouragement. I called the lady I purchased from and asked if she wanted it back, she said no, she has moved on to hand quilting. I got a good nights' sleep and feel a little better this a.m.

Marcia
Old 12-14-2016, 04:33 AM

Yes. I have a Voyager17 with a ten foot frame, had it for over 7 years and quilted a lot of charity quilts. About a year ago I was getting to the point that no matter how many tops I was getting made, I didn't have any interest in getting them loaded on the frame and quilted. So SO and I took it down and stored it all away. I've now gone to doing simple grid quilting and am a lot happier. I may wind up selling the whole thing, right now don't know. I guess the whole point to all this is, give yourself some time and don't feel bad.