Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Yikes! Is this true? >

Yikes! Is this true?

Yikes! Is this true?

Old 07-31-2014, 03:30 AM

Originally Posted by Prism99 View Post
I think that is only partially true. If you read through this thread (no pun intended!):
http://forums.threadsmagazine.com/ga...sewing-machine
you will see a comment about the newer machines having "oil-emitting bearings". Perhaps the oil doesn't last forever, but it likely would not need topping up every year either. Also note that there is a difference between oiling a machine and getting a machine serviced.

My Bernina 1230 has not been in for service for at least 10 years. Granted, I do not use it heavily every day the way some sewers do; still, it has seen plenty of use in 10 years. I learned how to oil the bobbin race and do that regularly, and am very good about cleaning out lint. The machine still purrs as if it were brand new.

It's the "having it serviced as recommended" that I take issue with. The first few years I had my Bernina I took it to the dealership for professional servicing every year. The last time I did that the cost was over $100 and I noticed that the technician had never even bothered to change the top tension from the lower mark I had set it to for nylon monofilament thread. The machine was very clean when I took it in, so I suspected he did nothing but check the machine for lint. Not worth it for me! I decided then to take my machine in only if I noticed a change in how it was sewing. Been 10 years so far.......
I have a Bernina 1630 purchased 19 yrs ago. It has been to the shop once shortly after I purchased it because I dropped it . I oil and clean regularly and mine too sew great!
Old 07-31-2014, 03:42 AM

Another reason to keep all my old singers! Although I do have a Janome mc, a brother, and a singer that is newer models. I only bring my Janome in when I have too, to the tune of a $125 just for a cleaning. Probably more now.The other two I just got recently from my son so I will have to see. Love my singer vintage machines. Can clean and oil them myself, ( well my dh does it). I would have a hard time letting those out of sight.
Old 07-31-2014, 03:45 AM
Power Poster

My Janome Jem is no oiling. I took it apart (I have two) and the gears are silicone from the looks of them. Silicone needs heat to lubricate so if you don't run you machine at least once a year the silicone gears will be dry when first starting it. If very dry they could crack. Don't set a no oil machine in the closet or shelf for years. I doubt the newer machines have any metal gears, I haven't seen any in all the new machines I seen at the repair shop opened up.
Old 07-31-2014, 03:57 AM

One year between servicing is a guesstament. Some may need it more often, example every 9 months. Others may only need to be serviced every 18 -24 months. It really depends on how much you sew and what materials you use. Yes, there are oil pads on some newer machines and they do dry out over time. Think of your machine as you would a car, they all need servicing to keep them running efficiently. They won't completely stop, but will not run as well and this also wears parts. If you keep you machine happy, it will make you a happier sewer. Those vintage machines were meant to be serviced at home while the machines of today are difficult to access all the parts that need to be checked by the owner. I service machines as a part time service to quilt shop customers as we have no one within 2 hours. When I recommend having a machine serviced i am not trying to sell a new machine. Even we sewers like a spa day now and then:-)
Old 07-31-2014, 04:50 AM

Originally Posted by sewbizgirl View Post
I wouldn't buy a machine that needed to see the doctor once a year. I don't neglect it, either. I do what it needs myself. Our 'foremothers' didn't bring their old Singers in for an annual checkup! But then... I don't have any computerized machines. Strictly mechanical and vintage.
I'm with you, no new machines for me. I like complete control of my machines and care for them myself.
Old 07-31-2014, 05:03 AM

I have a vintage Singer, circa 1931 that is a version of a machine Singer made for harness making, and it has an oil well. This is the quietest machine I have ever sewn on, and is by far my favorite machine. I also have several computerized machines from Viking that I try to get serviced yearly, or every 18 months, depending on how much I have used them. As far as I am concerned, it is well worth the $100 spent to service them and keep them in excellent condition. I do the same for my truck, so why not my sewing machine. It is an investment not to be taken lightly. I have had my Designer 1 for fifteen years and it is still working beautifully. My old machines I take care of myself, as did our "foremothers". Those machines were very simply made and easy to take care of, not so the newer machines.
Old 07-31-2014, 06:22 AM

I don't know about yours but my Bernina does not have anything like an oil well. I had it 7 years before taking it in to be cleaned. It worked perfectly for me until it started breaking thread and it was from a burr on the face plate.
Old 07-31-2014, 06:37 AM

I periodically put a drop of oil in the bottom of the bobbin case holder (the technical name escapes me right now) of my Bernina 440QE, but not each time I change the bobbin. I do take off the needle plate and clean the lint out with a Q-tip every time I change the bobbin. I've been told that there's lint way back there that I can't get to, but as long as it doesn't mess with the thread, bobbin or feed dogs, I'm not going to worry about it too much.
Old 07-31-2014, 06:39 AM

A good sewing machine is like a car. If you keep it tuned up it will keep running for a long time and have few problems. If you consider how much you have invested in your sewing machine a yearly tune-up is not very expensive and saves much bigger expenses in the future.
Old 07-31-2014, 06:44 AM

I have an older computerized Kenmore and I do my own oiling as I do on all my machines. I just get my manual and read the instructions for oiling, it has not been in for service since the late nineties. I oil it once or twice a rear depending on when it needs it. This is also true for my singer which is only about six years old and had to have it in for a new pc board but it didn't need oiling or cleaning, I do that whenever I see it is getting a little lint in it and if there is a lot of lint I do a more deep cleaning and take the bobbin case apart. My new Janome does not need oiling at all per the instructions.