Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Yikes! Is this true? >

Yikes! Is this true?

Yikes! Is this true?

Old 08-01-2014, 01:30 PM

Originally Posted by Peckish View Post
The "oil-emitting bearings" are sealed, so the oil will not dry out or evaporate.
This is true. The yearly servicing are unnecessary. Some modern machines are sealed so it is not easy to clean them very well. Older machines are very easy to open up and clean, but someone realized there was money to be had in getting people to bring their machines in on a regular basis. The mechanical parts of the machine are actually not all that complicated. The servicing is not for the computer board. If that goes bad it needs to be replaced.
Old 08-01-2014, 01:58 PM
Power Poster

When I bought my Bernina 16+ years ago I was told to never, never, never oil my machine. The metal working parts are infused with oil during manufacturing so the parts are constantly lubricated and if I oiled the machine things could get gunky and stuff could happen that I would not like.

I have had my machine to the dealer once in all those years, to repair the knee lift. It was also "cleaned and tuned up" what ever that means.
peace
Old 08-01-2014, 02:13 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by twinkie View Post
I go along with Sewbizgirl. Give me the old time machines and I am happy
[ATTACH=CONFIG]485857[/ATTACH]

This is a picture of my long arm set-up; which is an early model Singer 66 that my husband redid for me. I love them
Now that is what a sewing machine should look like. Fabulous set up and awesome machine.
peace
Old 08-01-2014, 03:42 PM

I sew a lot of flannel for baby quilts so even though I clean with brush and pipe cleaner, I know a lot gets in where I can't reach
Old 08-01-2014, 05:30 PM

Originally Posted by Bobblehead View Post
I took my Brother embroidery/sewing machine in for it's yearly maintenance and cleaning. I was told that the reason newer machines never need oiling is because they have built-in oil wells. So if you neglect your machine and don't have it serviced as recommended, your oil wells may run dry.
I have been a devoted Brother machine owner and have never heard of an oil well that might run dry. If they had a oil well, wouldn't you have to be careful to never tip it? I will be watching this thread for more info. Thanks all who know....