Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
your sewing desk/cabinet/surface >

your sewing desk/cabinet/surface

your sewing desk/cabinet/surface

Old 11-11-2016, 07:49 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Misty's Mom View Post
I sew on IKEA tables. Works great and I can move my machines wherever I want
Me too. Mine has adjustable legs so I can set the sewing height how I want it.
Old 11-11-2016, 10:06 AM

Peckish.....love your sewing area. I think you have a sewing platform or a sewing stage! Wonderful work area! We found some Ethan Allen furniture at an estate sale and purchased that set-up to store my quilting stuff (upper and lower cabinets). That lines one wall. Then, I found something called a project deak/craft desk at Costco several years ago. It is solid and tall - so I use that for my cutting surface. It has shelves in the front and sides...so lots of storage. Then, we found an Ethan Allen dining table with fold down leafs.....My husband took off the leafs and cut the legs (from the top to keep the shape of the legs), turned it sideways so I sew on the width-side of the table. It fits exactly I the space I needed it to fit...plus it "matches" the other furniture. Then he made the ironing board ito a "big board" for me. I really wanted that to be able to roll out of the way.....so we purchased a metal utility cart from Harbor Freight and mounted the big board on that..got 2 more storage spaces underneath. Purchased a Cheryl Ann's design board for $10.00 via Craigslist (just had to buy new flannel cover for $40). Now, there is only room for me in the room.......nice and comfy and cozy. (I cannot gain any more weight in my belly or I won't be able to get in or out)! ! !
Old 11-11-2016, 12:03 PM

Peckish, thanks for the pictures. You've given me lots of great ideas!
Old 11-11-2016, 10:15 PM

Ikea has modular office furniture. I put door-sized table top onto two units with drawers (got to choose drawer size and position). Originally I had one facing each direction, with serger one side and sewing machine other side. Since moving this year, both drawer units face same side, with ample space for a chair between when serging. I can easily move my serger to the space under the table top when I need more room for rotary cutting. I have a separate sewing machine table by the window.
Old 11-19-2016, 04:56 AM

I, too, have an Arrow table. I got it on sale at Joann's a while back during a Christmas doorbuster sale. I have two small Lifetime brand tables that I can set around it for actual quilting. The table folds up easily. I've been very happy with mine.
Old 11-19-2016, 06:41 AM

I found a Gidget I table on Craigslist for $20.00 and my DH cut it to fit my big Brother NX-2000 machine. It works fabulous and is super sturdy!! I make quilts of all sizes if I need more room, I set up a tray table at the larger end to hold the bulk. Works fantastic and can be taken down and stored in a small area! Important when you live in a camper full time. ;-)
Old 11-20-2016, 01:01 PM

I have a table my husband made, can furnish pics if interested:
2 kitchen base cabinets, drawer units, that he cut to tow kicks off
Set far enough apart the width of the machine, with a counter to hold the machine so a hole can be cut on the desk surface to lower the machine.
The desk area is 67 by 49 folds down to 67 by 25. The weird dimensions are because it was the best use of the space efficiency-wise. There is electricity coming from the basement below through a hole in the floor

We live in an old home and the wood used matched the woodwork in what used to be a dining room. He made this whole room to me 5'4" specifications, NOT his 6'2" height!
Old 11-22-2016, 08:59 AM

I like Quilt & Sew Add a Table. Added two of them some time ago and it works for me with my domestic sewing machines.
Posted on this some time ago, http://www.quiltingboard.com/picture...t256360-2.html
Old 11-22-2016, 08:41 PM

I cut a space out of an old formica topped table..very slippery for quilts...if I need extra room to the left to support a quilt, I use my ironing board...usually it's long enough. All methods work well, it's a matter of what you're willing to spend.