Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How to hold machine flush with cabinet surface >

How to hold machine flush with cabinet surface

How to hold machine flush with cabinet surface

Old 11-18-2013, 12:37 PM

Default How to hold machine flush with cabinet surface

Not sure if this is a good title or not but... my husband would like to build me a sewing cabinet for Christmas/birthday. Can anyone tell me if there is a place you can order the case(?) that would attach to the bottom of the surface that would hold the machine making it level with the top of the cabinet? I've searched online but don't even know what to call it. Thought one of you might. Thanks!
Old 11-18-2013, 12:47 PM
Power Poster

One I have heard of has a shelf for the machine to sit on and held by a chain on each end and attached to the bottom of the top of the cabinet. I bought a table from Leah Day site and that is how mine is made. It might be a gidget table, or something like that. There have been lots of talk about tables like that. Look in the Mission organization section. There should be lots of ideas in there.
Old 11-18-2013, 12:51 PM
Power Poster

You can also install a lift mechanism that will allow you to have your machine flush with the cabinet or sitting on top of it, depending on what you are doing. http://www.rockler.com/sewing-machine-lift-mechanism
Old 11-18-2013, 01:18 PM

Heres the cheap way. Put a TV tray under the hole. Its the perfect height with a couple rubber pot holders under the machine. Thats how i do it and i can change machines and adjust their height by adding or taking away the pot holders. I wrapped a block of styrafoam in tape to stuff in the openings between the top of the cabinet and machine. Makes a nice flat surface.
Old 11-18-2013, 01:34 PM

What my DH did is cut a hole in the desktop where I wanted the machine to sit, with enough room for the wiring, extension table for machine and room to get around and reach the feed dogs) measure the height from the surface of the desktop to the point where I wanted the machine to be level (sewing bed, plate, whatever you call the thing the fabric slides over!) and then he built a little box just that finished depth, with dimensions to line up with the rectangular hole and screwed it into the bottom of the desktop. He drilled holes in the bottom of the box so I can run the wires through it.

If your DH can do a cabinet, I bet he could do that also. All we did was repurpose an existing old wood desk!
Old 11-18-2013, 01:38 PM
Power Poster

My old Singer sewing desk have some hinges that allowed the Singer to swing down into the desk. With my Bernina, I just let it sit on a piece of carpet and it sits perfectly in the cabinet.
Old 11-18-2013, 01:46 PM
Power Poster

I think it is called "make it yourself". It really is only a sturdy shelf to minimize vibrations that is set at a measured level below the cabinet surface so the machine will be at the same height as the surface of the cabinet.
I don't know if you can even purchase the adjustable hydraulic attachment like the ones in commercial cabinets.

You could even install those bookcase shelving attachments that have adjustable pegs so you ca move a shelf up or down and put a nice thick board on it for your shelf.
Good luck and post with updates. Lots of interest here.
peace
Old 11-18-2013, 03:02 PM

Jo C Could you post a picture please.
Old 11-18-2013, 03:10 PM

Probably a dumb question, but my machine has the front loading bobbin, not a top drop in one (does this make sense?) Will a flush table work for this type of machine?

Anita
Old 11-18-2013, 03:15 PM

Originally Posted by ILoveToQuilt View Post
Probably a dumb question, but my machine has the front loading bobbin, not a top drop in one (does this make sense?) Will a flush table work for this type of machine?

Anita
My mom had a cabinet with a drop front for her machine that had a front load. Dad made it, I think he just hinged the front.