Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Is your stash like my stash? Mostly chunks some yardage? >

Is your stash like my stash? Mostly chunks some yardage?

Is your stash like my stash? Mostly chunks some yardage?

Old 11-15-2014, 03:53 PM

I have mostly chunks, a little yardage as I've been buying more yardage this past year. I have carry bags with see-through fronts for all my fat quarters.. 4 bags full at this point. All my other pieces are in four bins, 6 deep plastic drawers and many bags of various sizes.
Old 11-15-2014, 03:55 PM

Most of my stash is yardage. It is stored by color -doesn't matter what size the fabric is. I do have a drawer for small pieces of fabric, too big to throw away and too small to fold. I use that drawer first when making scrap quilts. Sounds likew maybe a bin system would work well for you.
Old 11-15-2014, 03:57 PM
Power Poster

I divide according to types of fabric, 1930, Civil War, childrens, lines of fabrics, solids and then have bins for scraps. Scraps are according to color but types of fabrics (ex. Civil War) will have everything from scraps to yardage. I also make my own kits and then store fabric and pattern together. Most of my fabric is FQ or smaller.
Old 11-16-2014, 06:39 AM

Oh my, I do believe that I am the only one that does not organize the neat and tidy way you all are doing. I am a very organized person but when it comes to my fabric pieces I am an ole hen and do the scratch and hunt method. I have tubs for lights, darks, solids, tiny scraps, and holiday prints. They are thrown in and when I need something I get in and start digging. I once had them all folded in the tubs but alas the ole hen came out. Guess the quilting police is on the lookout for me. It works for me and I do envy you all doing the correct way. Oh well!!!
Old 11-17-2014, 03:25 AM

I bought canvas totes, each one holds a different color or themed fabric scraps[ATTACH=CONFIG]499167[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails image.jpg  
Old 11-17-2014, 07:38 AM
Power Poster

My stash as I can describe it is WAY TOO BIG. Most of my yardage is on acid free comic boards and in comic book boxes. The rest is everywhere.
Old 11-17-2014, 08:11 AM

I went looking through my bins the other day and was surprised at how many chunks I had too. I am going through them soon and will remove all chunks and just keep the yardage. I will cut up my chunks into strips or charms. Those I will keep in drawers in my guest bedroom.
Old 11-17-2014, 08:24 AM

I have the "I can't throw it away" disease.....LOL! I usually keep any pieces that I think are large enough to incorporate into a backing and if it's not good for that, I cut it up into strips for string quilts.....they always seem to be popular with the charity groups and it's easy to make a binding for them, too. I generally don't throw anything away unless it is too small for a string quilt.
Old 11-17-2014, 09:23 AM

I put my smaller scraps in gallon zip lock bags by color and then keep them in a large plastic container. I do have more than one, but it works.
Old 11-17-2014, 09:26 AM

I agree that I have the I can't throw it away, so I have so much fabric I don't even know what I have.
Chunks, half yards, and then 3 yard pieces.