Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Is your stash like my stash? Mostly chunks some yardage? >

Is your stash like my stash? Mostly chunks some yardage?

Is your stash like my stash? Mostly chunks some yardage?

Old 11-17-2014, 10:44 AM

I love fat quarters and buy lots of them. They're all stored by color family in drawers. Yardage is starting to multiply as well, and it's mostly on shelves. Anything over about a half yard is stored with the yardage; under that is stored with the fat quarters. Less than half a fat quarter or so gets cut up into strips Bonnie Hunter style and stored in plastic tubs. I also keep a bin of 2.5 inch squares, one of strings, and one of weird shapes for paper piecing.

Last edited by colorfulom; 11-17-2014 at 10:47 AM.
Old 11-17-2014, 12:27 PM

More yardage than chunks because I prefer to prewash fabric. I do have strips and squares from swaps and occasionally purchase fat quarters.
Old 11-17-2014, 02:07 PM
Power Poster

While I have tried to stay organized, putting Christmas prints in one or two totes (I have a lot), and I've tried to separate fabrics by color or use - I have a separate bin/tote for fabrics I plan to use for making handbags, but then I start making projects, go searching for the right fabrics and end up disorganized again. Oh well, guess I know what I can do on cold snowy days this winter.
Old 11-17-2014, 03:39 PM

I have lots of chunks like you. Some are almost a FQ some a lot smaller. I have them sort of folded in clear containers sorted by color. I have one container for the ones that don't really fit in any color group. I do a lot of paper piecing and they really come in handy. I also use the bits and pieces as if they are all one fabric, purple scraps where a quilt calls for purple. My yardage is not as organized. I am trying to use up my stash.
Old 11-17-2014, 05:30 PM

I have mine sorted by color. each color has its bin. the strips I keep in a shoe box according to size 2 1/2" , 3", 3 1/2" etc.
Old 11-17-2014, 08:54 PM

Originally Posted by wendiq View Post
I have the "I can't throw it away" disease.....LOL! I usually keep any pieces that I think are large enough to incorporate into a backing and if it's not good for that, I cut it up into strips for string quilts.....they always seem to be popular with the charity groups and it's easy to make a binding for them, too. I generally don't throw anything away unless it is too small for a string quilt.
I suffer from this same affliction. Yesterday I decided I wouldn't keep anything smaller than an inch. All my yardage is sorted by colour and fabric folded using the ruler method and stored in plastic tote. I line them up so they look like a line of books. My fat 1/4's or anything smaller than a yard are folded the same way and kept in flat boxes in totes. all scraps are divided by colours and stored in those plastic portable drawers. Like I say I keep everything.
Old 11-18-2014, 03:36 AM

I too have reached a point of no return on the stash and am currently writing a book on dealing with it. I decided that keeping a large stash is not supportive, but is defeating me. On top of that the fold lines cause me to loose fabrics. I would love input on your feelings about using the stash so you can replace it regularly with more current fabrics. Also so that it is more manageable in size. We need to keep buying to support our local quilt shops, but we also need to keep our sewing rooms clear enough so we can get to the machine to use the stuff. Side stepping has become a way of walking for me and I wonder how many others have the same issues.
Old 11-18-2014, 11:58 AM

I arranged my stash strictly by the color wheel, for all fabrics except scraps. And I learned in the last few months to manage those better and make one or two designs with scraps and will send the leftovers to someone on this board when I get a box full. Scraps can quickly become overwhelming if not controlled.