April - Boom 18

Old 02-21-2017, 10:40 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Libster View Post
I love that dancing skeleton couple! LOL That will be me and my DH one day.
LOL! I love the little guy peeking out on the left long panel!

MJP, so excited about having the quilt in your local fair. It's your quilt, we only each helped in a minor way. If it wins, use the money to pay your postage on blocks in the next swap!
Old 02-21-2017, 12:07 PM

Originally Posted by mjpEncinitas View Post
Ibex94 I would like to make a block similar to Kass for you. I even have a fairy to peek out of the flower This would involve raw edge applique. It has held up well on my bed quilt. Let me know if this is ok with you. [ATTACH=CONFIG]568626[/ATTACH]
very definitely!!! Thanks! Sounds enchanting. This block is gorgeous!
Old 02-21-2017, 12:08 PM

Originally Posted by seasaw2mch View Post
Hello Ladies!!!!!
been a long time but I made it back at least for a short time. No promises on how long I can come in but I went to the site where Janice posts the boom blocks and I have to say you all are making some beautiful blocks.

Bad news is that I'm now on hospice and permanently in a wheelchair &/or have to be in bed on my back. I can't use the walker any more because I can't put any weight on my right leg at all. Actually, a few weeks ago I didn't think I would make it this long but I did and now I'm getting much better so I can get up and wheel around a little more.

Two days ago I found out that I can also do some sewing, as long as I keep track of my time & not sit to long I can sew about an hour or 2 per day, I'm good. I just have to split that time up so as not to wear myself out. Thank God for sewing machines that have the push button start & stop because without it I still couldn't sew.

About a month ago, I had to give up my bed for a hospital bed because I had pulled every muscle from my shoulders down the spine and down to the bottom of my right foot. During this time I have learned a lot about hospital beds that I wanted to pass on to all of you that make quilts for hospitals.

The twin size quilts are way to big for those beds. The hospital beds are only 36 inches wide so the extra hang over makes it difficult for any one that has to be in one to move around and get in & out of. I am working on making me a quilt for my hospital bed and the best size I have come up with is 46 inches wide by about 70 inches long. That way they are more suited for getting in & out of the bed as well as not to long that it feels to heavy on the legs or you feel like your strangling yourself around your neck. It is not necessary to have the quilt fold down from the top like most people do on a regular bed, it's to much extra fabric around your neck.

Like I said I'm working on mine right now and if you all don't mind, I will post a picture here when it's done. I've been working on a lay out that uses 15 of the 12 inch blocks with 2 inch sashing between them & an outside boarder of 3 inches. I'm planning on using the blocks that I got back from the boom swaps to make the quilt so I can enjoy everyone's blocks when I have to lay in the bed. I might have to make several of these so I can change them out so I don't miss any ones blocks. They are all so lovely.

Anyway, I just wanted to say Hi!!!! and will be looking in a little more often. If I get better then maybe I can join in the next Boom. Wish me luck!
Sue
Wishing you wonderful luck and comfort!!! Giant hugs, Sue.
Old 02-21-2017, 12:14 PM

Originally Posted by jclinganrey View Post
Ibex -

Are our blocks for you supposed to have a fairy theme?
no fairy theme necessary at all. I am putting them into a quilt to accompany a bunch of fairy rings I have already made.
Old 02-21-2017, 12:15 PM

Originally Posted by Libster View Post
Okay, Joan, this one is for you. I saw it on Pinterest so I don't really know what the name of it is. I'm calling it Pinwheel Hearts. Hope you like it. That is some seriously beautiful fabric. I hated cutting it up.
wow!! I haven't cut into this fabric yet. I still can't figure out what I want to do with it, lol. I don't want to cut it up either....
Old 02-21-2017, 12:48 PM
Power Poster

Seasaw, I forwarded your comments about the hospital bed quilts to the leader of my local charity group. We do make quilts for hospitals and your info is going to be so helpful! Thank you.
Old 02-21-2017, 03:51 PM

I made these 3 blocks this afternoon. One for Muse and Sew, Ibex94 and Biblostone. I hope the one for IB isnt too girly and childish for your quilt! I also have to share a laugh I had. I usually pay $60-70 for my water and sewer. Take a look at this bill....$2872.00.. NO pool, no outside spicket, just me...I about had a heart attack. They had a new meter reader and he transposed the number.. I laughed after they called me back but not at first! LOL
Attached Thumbnails muse-sew.jpg   ibex94.jpg   bibliostone.jpg   march-water-bill.jpg  
Old 02-21-2017, 03:54 PM

Joan, glad you have a strong heart. That was a real shocker

Great blocks
Old 02-21-2017, 04:11 PM

Great blocks Joan, really like the spinning effect on Ibex's block. I was able to get Marija's block finished today after all. Seems I could just take the test and not watch the 4 hour program, so woo hooo I got out of the first 4 hour part, sadly tomorrow is another 4 hour part I can't get out of.

Marija since several of your blocks had an "octagon"type star I did all your inside "star points" in the same color to reference those other blocks. This striped fabric looked like it was made in the same line as your floral it matches that well. I've had it for some time, it was found on my deep stash diving, so no clue where or when I got it. Anyway hope you like your block.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]568745[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails dsc_0591.jpg  
Old 02-21-2017, 04:31 PM
Power Poster

Beautiful blocks, Joan and Kass!