BOOM 17 Sign-ups OPEN!

Old 07-18-2016, 12:40 PM

Hi ladies, I have always been a crafter.By the time I was 28 I had three little ones. I also was a stay at home mom. I would make crafts and sell them in this little craft store near my home. As my kids got older I opened my own shop and had that for many years. I still craft but quilting is what I love. my sister and I went to a quilt show and feel in love with all the beautiful fabric and quilts. So we said we were going to become quilters. Now years later and many quilts made here I am. Love making quilts all my 7 grandkids have had 3 quilts each and I have made some for friends and some for charity. I still make quilts and love it. This is my 14th boom and Janice is a great host!!! The ladies are wonderful and you will be hooked on these Booms!!!!!
Old 07-18-2016, 01:52 PM

Well, I certainly know you ladies a bit more. Moonwork, loving that hippee fabric, bring it on girl. Welcome to the newbies.
Old 07-18-2016, 02:51 PM

See, thank you for sending all those quilts, wonderful you made them but sad our soldiers hadn't been adequently provided for
Old 07-18-2016, 02:59 PM

Old 07-18-2016, 03:42 PM

Originally Posted by terriamn View Post
See, thank you for sending all those quilts, wonderful you made them but sad our soldiers hadn't been adequently provided for
Most of the guys were taken care of but the ones in the "forward bases" didn't have much at all and when my son called home telling me he was freezing I almost flipped out. It gets down to -40 degrees in the winter over there so I had to hurry and do them before it got to cold. By the time I finished sewing all of them I was exhausted but it was well worth all the time I put into doing them. The guys loved them & said they were warmer then the sleeping bags they were equipped with.

Even as much as I like sewing blocks, I could never produce that many quilts or spend that much time sewing again in that short of time. All I did was sew, slept maybe 4 hours a night but the thought of them freezing to death kept me going. I think I slept a week straight after I got the last batch sent. LOL

I still have pictures of all those quilts I made for them, no two were the same, if I remember right.
If I know how to put them in an album on here I would.
Old 07-18-2016, 04:37 PM

So fun to read about everyone! You're all such wonderful women!

Here's a bit on how I got started. My mom had me take sewing lessons when I was growing up, which I loved. I loved anything crafty where i could use my hands. More important to my mom, since she was a piano teacher was music lessons. I took violin & piano lessons growing up. Loved anything to do with music. Then went to college & graduated in music. For 25 years or so, I did studio recording work, played for movies, played for lots of bands, tons of albums, etc coming into town, & the ballet. I always had dreamed of quilting, just not enough time with family & working.

I bought an embroidery--sewing machine probably 20 years ago. I did a few BOM & sewing in my spare time. Fun hobby. In the last 10 years though I've been able to do my dream of sewing & quilting. I just love it. I've had so much fun with swaps, quilting, quilting etc. I sell mini baby mini blankets & jewelry.

I have my DH, 4 kids, 8 1/2 grandkids, 8 horses, too many cats to count, and 2 dogs. Two of my daughters are still at home. My older daughter says she won't leave until she can take her horse.
Old 07-18-2016, 04:45 PM
Power Poster

Love the stories, ladies... Thank you to all who sew for others in need.
Old 07-18-2016, 10:13 PM
Power Poster

That was a wonderful story, and they were all blessed by you making all those quilts.
Old 07-19-2016, 05:27 AM

I have my fabric cut -- I tried to give everyone at least a 13 x 18 piece in case you wanted to use my fabric as a full block background. Some of it is pretty wild and others are pretty dramatic looking (the darker blues with grays) .... need to press them flat and get them stuffed.

Boy my note will be like a book most likely

Peace and Love to y'all
Old 07-19-2016, 07:04 AM

Hubby said my fabric has arrived, will be heading home in a few hours and try to decide which fabrics to send