BOOM 17 Sign-ups OPEN!

Old 07-18-2016, 06:01 AM

My baby enjoying her favorite spot

[ATTACH=CONFIG]554178[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails image.jpeg  
Old 07-18-2016, 07:36 AM

Boy are you right there Seasaw2much. Would love tent dresses to come back in style. Could hide a multiple of things
Old 07-18-2016, 08:07 AM
Power Poster

This is my baby... Marty.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]554185[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]554187[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails dsc02416.jpg   dsc02416-small-.jpg   img_0138-small-.jpg   img_0138-small-.jpg  
Old 07-18-2016, 08:11 AM
Power Poster

Have no idea why the pictures posted twice!
Old 07-18-2016, 09:33 AM

Default 2 month group update

Below is the list of swappers who've signed up for the 2 month group. As usual, if anyone spots an error, please email me asap at [email protected] and I'll make a correction.

Billi
GramE
Jaba
Joanelizbay
Libster
Ljdugas
Lum
MonaG
Moonrise
NanaKathy55
QuilterMomma
Sewbizgirl
Terriamn

That brings us up to 13 for this group.

There's still almost 2 weeks until sign-ups officially close, but if this group doesn't fill, we can always think about doubling-up as we did the last round. (For newbies, some of our swappers chose to double up, making 2 blocks for the others who wanted to double, and receiving two blocks from those same swappers. Some doubled, some didn't. Either way is perfectly ok with me.) It's an option to think about if our group doesn't make it to 20.

Have a lovely day everyone!
Old 07-18-2016, 10:02 AM

Look at all the cute companions

Terri I see water is she on the boat because she looks happy as a clam.

My pups not pups but that is what I call them they are 11 and 12 were in their favorite place too RIGHT at MY FEET! as I type this Emma is my foot stool as I rub her back with my foot and Gambit the goat hahahahaha no worries showbiz girl he has been called worse has his nose on my leg. He is a very touchy feely guy. He never just sniffs you he always touches with his nose too.

2 month is filling in nicely YAY lots more fabrics to play with.
Old 07-18-2016, 10:04 AM

Welcome to all the newbies joining in, I think the Boom swap are the best way to learn a little more about what we have grown to love doing, sewing blocks. All the oldies (but goodies) here are more then glad to help out if you ever run into a problem or have any "silly question". BTW there are no silly questions, each answer gives you the help you need to grow as a quilter, so never hesitate to ask about anything.
I also see that different ones have give their beginning sewing history so I figure tell you mine. First of all, I was an industrial mechanic by trade and loved doing sheet metal work as well as wood working. So sewing wasn't even in my normal things to do but as I was raising my first 2 children by my self, out of necessity, I taught myself to sew on a machine that I picked up at a yard sale. I made my kids clothes because I couldn't afford to buy them. They had the best looking clothes around but at that time it only cost 25 cents a yard so making the clothes was well worth the effect.
Jumping forward a few years, I got remarried and had a 3rd child. When he was only 2 months old, I broke my foot and had to stop working. The doctors told me that I wouldn't be able to walk again but I showed them. It took 5 years of working on that but I managed to do just fine. I still can't do the work I enjoyed so when my youngest son went into the Army, I pulled out the sewing machine and started teaching myself to make quilt blocks. I did this because the guys in Afghanistan called & said they were freezing and since they didn't have heat at the time, I managed to make & send them 41 cot size quilts, & it only took me 3 months to make them all. That is how I got started making quilt blocks and I've loved it ever since. So, if I can do it, anyone can do it!!!!!! Just sit back and relax and enjoy the process, it's all about the fun & excitement of making something that will bring a smile to someone face.

One thing I have learned while being in these Boom swaps is that all the ladies love a pretty block & no matter how ugly we might think a piece of fabric is, they sure know how to bring out the best in it. I can now say with confidence, "There is no such thing as an ugly piece of fabric", it's just a ducking looking to be embellished.

So welcome aboard and enjoy the fun!!!!!!
Old 07-18-2016, 10:19 AM

Well said See!!
Old 07-18-2016, 10:34 AM

My grandmother was housebound when I was a kid and she had one of those hugh wooden quilt frames set up in her dining room along with her bed and tv..I use to watch her for hours sewing little tiny stitches. She would let me use her treddle sewing machine to sew on..Then I took FHA and 4H and did a lot of sewing on my moms old Singer. After getting married way too early I kind of quit sewing for a few years. Started again in 1991 when my boyfriends mother told me Id never be able to make a Cathedril window quilt...had to prove her wrong..and Ive quilted ever since...
Have 3 grandkids in their late 20's and early 30's. 5 great grand kids out of one of them...Then I have 3 11 year old grandkids and a 3 year old out of my son (who is in his 30's...the same age as my oldest granddaughter). That's what happens when you start at 16 then don't have another till 32!! Ive made lots and lots of quilts...give most of them away to kids, grandkids, nieces, nephews, sisters and give a lot of them to charity or benefits like Honor Flight or Patriot guard riders. I was hand quilting all my tops then found a wonderful couple who quilt as a "hobby"...so I send them down to them and they quilt and return them to me...Really great couple and the price is absolutely the best around! She wont charge me for military quilts or charity quilts so I have to be careful and NOT tell her that's what they are for! LOL...Ive been in 11 booms I think it is..I was HORRIBLE with the lst and 2nd booms...totally horrible..I thought you had to get them done FAST and back to the people..I picked cheap fabric.."normal" patterns. No app, no pp, no embroidery...just normal...I like to think Ive improved a little since the lst swap..I will even step out of the norm a little now..And I'm trying harder to make sure the blocks are 12 1/2" when finished!! BUT Ive had nothing but FUN with this group..They are wonderful women, very helpful...so funny...couldn't ask for better "friends"...and the BEST leader Ive had since joining booms!! Welcome...come in, sit a spell, but most of all HAVE FUN!!!
Old 07-18-2016, 11:07 AM

" I still can't do the work I enjoyed so when my youngest son went into the Army, I pulled out the sewing machine and started teaching myself to make quilt blocks. I did this because the guys in Afghanistan called & said they were freezing and since they didn't have heat at the time, I managed to make & send them 41 cot size quilts, & it only took me 3 months to make them all. "

Seasaw, I have to say "God Bless You, and thank you" for being such a caring person. You've brought a tear to this old lady's eyes. I think if God gives us the talent to sew, we should use it to give some back. That's what makes us all human in the end. I love this bunch of Boomers. Off my soapbox now.