BOOM 17 Sign-ups OPEN!

Old 07-17-2016, 11:30 AM

"Two inside furry felines rule the creative room and will generally allow me to share one of the chairs ." If they are like mine, you get a corner of a chair, not the whole thing. (unless I bribe him w/ whipped cream)
Old 07-17-2016, 11:39 AM

Originally Posted by Janice McC View Post
Oh, thank heavens! I'll need some serious help. I'm coming to your house to make moonwork's, Kass. Maybe I'll absorb some creativity through osmosis.

Kass will get you coloring outside those lines...hahahahaha
Old 07-17-2016, 12:01 PM
Power Poster

Look ladies, I've got stuff to do and this line of talk is so funny I don't want to break away! But go I must. But I'll be back. Thanks for the belly laughs.
Belly Laughs. You're killing me...
Old 07-17-2016, 12:13 PM
Power Poster

Many of you probably know me from other swaps... I've been on the board for years. Don't know how I resisted BOOM for so long.

I've also been sewing since I was a child. Started playing with a godzilla finished Kenmore machine as soon as I discovered it inside 'that table in Mom's room'. Then, at ten, I practically took up residence in Mom's room at the sewing machine. Mom was no help... Dad bought the machine for her when they first got married and used it to recover some couch cushions. Mom never took to sewing. So I'm self-taught.

Sewing has always been my only marketable skill. I have made all kinds of clothing and costumes, and altered everything up to wedding gowns. I pretty much HATE clothing now and almost exclusively quilt... except when someone needs a shirt, usually me.

I quilt a little for my Etsy shop and craft shows, but the bulk of my work is charity quilting. I belong to a great charity group and we make an impressive amount of quilts (collectively) for hospital patients and children in shelters. I love it.

Right now I'm into the Row by Row thing, and also plodding along on a 1930's Farmer's Wife quilt, with the FW group here.

I also knit and crochet and hand embroider.
Old 07-17-2016, 12:26 PM

SewBiz - it took me a while (doesn't everything) but I swapped with you on the Birthday candy last year. It was so much fun and really used every square and then some. Maybe next year.
So glad you joined us.
Old 07-17-2016, 12:28 PM
lum

Ok ladies I am in... I have been lurking here for months and months, I almost joined boom 16, and I have followed both the 2 and 3 month groups all the way thru.

I am fairly new to quilting but have been sewing for years, mostly formal gowns for myself that I am proud to wear.

I have found the fabric that I am sending, I want this to be a Quilt of Valor for a female so I would like to stick to a patriotic theme.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]554124[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails 20160717_123136_resized_3.jpg  
Old 07-17-2016, 12:34 PM

Before we scare off all our newbies with this "release the beasts" stuff, naked chicken talk, three armed dresses and who knows what else, why don't we tell just a tiny bit about ourselves to encourage our newbies to do the same. Somebody go first...

Kassaundra perhaps?
Welcome new boomers, I am a native Southern girl who moved to CA because DH wanted to move back to his home state and like Kass, I am not a fan of cold, so it works out well. I have been sewing for as long as I can remember. I sewed some clothes for myself in HS and dabbled with quilting. Didn't sew a lot for a few years, started back again in the early 90's and haven't stopped yet. I have a DH, a DD who is 34 and has my 12 yo GD and 5 yo GS, 2 DS's (14/16) and 2 little doggies.
I teach special education and don't get as much time as I would like to sew, but I join the boom swaps as often as scheduling allows. Welcome again and above all, have fun.
Old 07-17-2016, 12:47 PM

I'm Billi, I'm married and have 2 adult daughters. I live in southern Ca where it never snows.....hint hint Kass, and my husband has recently retired.

My mother was a professional seamstress and all of us kids grew up in her workroom helping out. I always had something going till the late 90's for a variety of reasons I put all my toys away I thought I was over it till 3-4 years ago I caught the itch again.

I never call myself a quilter because only thing I have ever quilted is a pot holder or two. I do love making quilt blocks and tops. I just figure the price of having my things quilted as part of the cost of the hobby I love. My first Boom I saw as a nice way to meet people and experience and learn something new. I thought 1 and done.... hahahahahaha this is number 5 for me and I am already looking for fabric for boom 18. I love the challenge of using fabrics I would not choose for myself, trying to see your vision and making something we can both be proud of. I also like taking the beautiful blocks made for me in ways I would not think to do and turning them into a quilt. I have learned a lot and have become a better "not a quilter" because of the booms.

That deep dark place called appliqué that some of you shy away from is one of my favorite techniques to use it's one of the few ways I can get what I see in my head to a quilt block, and be sure it will be exactly the size I need.

My sewing room is a work in progress and you are all welcome to join me in the chaos. There is an extra chair you'll just have to move a stack of fabric or project box or two. Look out for my 2 shadows Emma and Gambit they follow me everywhere. I still can't figure out why they come into the sewing room as often as I have stepped on and tripped over them you would think that they would learn to stay clear.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]554120[/ATTACH]

I Speak snark and sarcasm fluently and my language and humor both tend to be just south of appropriate so I do occasionally find myself having to censor or explain myself. I apologize in advance for that.

I am a sports fan love my Padres and my chargers
Attached Thumbnails emma-gambit.jpg  

Last edited by Billi; 07-17-2016 at 12:57 PM. Reason: words are hard
Old 07-17-2016, 01:00 PM

Originally Posted by lum View Post
Ok ladies I am in... I have been lurking here for months and months, I almost joined boom 16, and I have followed both the 2 and 3 month groups all the way thru.

I am fairly new to quilting but have been sewing for years, mostly formal gowns for myself that I am proud to wear.

I have found the fabric that I am sending, I want this to be a Quilt of Valor for a female so I would like to stick to a patriotic theme.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]554124[/ATTACH]
Welcome to another Newbie I love it!

love the idea of a quilt of valor with a feminine touch great idea it will be fun to help with that.
Old 07-17-2016, 01:36 PM

I' m Terri and been retired about a year and a half. Love almost ever minute of it. Have 3 dd's and 1 son and 5 blessed grandkids. Unfortunately we live in Minnesota and freeze in the winter and get eaten by mosquitoes In the summer. In the summer I am rarely home, am at the lake or staying with my sister 4 hours up North visiting my 87 year old Mom. I also love to piece and not big on getting my tops quilted, oh well. My great aunts taught my sister and I to sew and craft. Have managed to turn my sister on to quilting and almost everything she makes she donates to different charities. She actually finishes her projects, something I need to do.