Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Member Swaps and Round/Row Robins
Boomerang 5.0-NORTH Group >

Boomerang 5.0-NORTH Group

Boomerang 5.0-NORTH Group

Old 06-22-2011, 06:33 AM

Originally Posted by paintmejudy
Was back in the early postings, before the signup deadlines, tere were people that had made comments about the simple-ness of a 9-patch. Said they had wished it could be outlawed. Don't know it was said in jest or not. But there are times when the 9-patch works perfectly! Case in point - the bug and animal blocks, among others.

And no offence taken, J.
Originally Posted by Jennifer22206
paintmejudy - I love the 9 patch. Why would you say it's "dreaded"? Just curious - no offense meant in any way!
I agree also - while 9 patch blocks CAN be overly simple, sometimes the fabric dictates it. Case in point the bug/animal blocks & some large florals that you just can't bear to cut into any more than necessary.
Old 06-22-2011, 06:39 AM

Blocks going home today....
NurseBetty
LauraEllen
Brenda21
Qbee
Materialgrl

All blocks have been sent except for Lillie (I have not recieved your f8). If you have not recieved my finished block, please let me know
Thanks
Kat
Old 06-22-2011, 07:18 AM

Got a beautiful block yesterday from fromzstore. Thanks!
Old 06-22-2011, 10:28 AM

I'm so in love with quilting that there hasn't been a block that I haven't loved. It's where I am right now in my quilting honeymoon.

I'm sure, like a good marriage, over time, some of the common blocks will be irritating... but not yet! ;-)
Old 06-22-2011, 03:24 PM

I received 2 grown up blocks yesterday
1 from Heyjami and
1 from fromzstore

Today I received a block from Carsey

I'll post pics later.
Thanks ladies, you all did a wonderful job.

I must give Linda (fromzstore) a very special thank you, she embroidered a wonderful flower on the center square, just wait til you see it......gorgeous! THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU,
Old 06-22-2011, 03:37 PM

While 9-patch blocks can be overly simple, I must say in the past I have received some poorly sewn 9 patch blocks where the intersections are off by 1/4" or more and the sewer never fixed it, just mailed it out. I shutter to think what they would do with a Wild Zinnia pattern or Flying Geese.
I personally would rather have a simple 9-patch that was executed well than a more difficult pattern that just didn't make it. I realize that we have all levels of quilters on the board, but in order to become a better quilter sometimes you have to try, try, try again.

Personally, I have probably re-sewn as many blocks as I have completed on the first attempt.

Originally Posted by montanablu
Was back in the early postings, before the signup deadlines, there were people that had made comments about the simple-ness of a 9-patch. Said they had wished it could be outlawed. Don't know it was said in jest or not. But there are times when the 9-patch works perfectly! Case in point - the bug and animal blocks, among others.

And no offence taken, J.
paintmejudy - I love the 9 patch. Why would you say it's "dreaded"? Just curious - no offense meant in any way!
I agree also - while 9 patch blocks CAN be overly simple, sometimes the fabric dictates it. Case in point the bug/animal blocks & some large florals that you just can't bear to cut into any more than necessary.
Old 06-22-2011, 03:38 PM

pattis47, I mailed your block on 5/31. Did I miss your posting that you received it or did the PO gremlins get it?
Old 06-22-2011, 03:43 PM

Florence,
I received your Irish Chain early in June, I have been having trouble with my posts not showing up on here since they changed servers a few months ago. I am beginning to really dislike this site. I will repost a pic of the block because everyone should see how nice it is, rather than look through 70 pages of notes......duh, just call me lazy.

Originally Posted by PokerDiva
pattis47, I mailed your block on 5/31. Did I miss your posting that you received it or did the PO gremlins get it?
Old 06-22-2011, 03:45 PM

I've resewn every single block I've made - sometimes making a complete new one! You called it patti - sew, sew again.

I have found that my eye is improving for seeing the errors so it is possible that in the beginning I didn't even realize the error! Yes, I'm that much of a new quilter. I have a blanket I made for a nephew in February/March and I chopped so many points... I am considering redoing the entire thing! :-) But it's a baby so he probably won't mind.

Originally Posted by pattis47
While 9-patch blocks can be overly simple, I must say in the past I have received some poorly sewn 9 patch blocks where the intersections are off by 1/4" or more and the sewer never fixed it, just mailed it out. I shutter to think what they would do with a Wild Zinnia pattern or Flying Geese.
I personally would rather have a simple 9-patch that was executed well than a more difficult pattern that just didn't make it. I realize that we have all levels of quilters on the board, but in order to become a better quilter sometimes you have to try, try, try again.

Personally, I have probably re-sewn as many blocks as I have completed on the first attempt.

Was back in the early postings, before the signup deadlines, there were people that had made comments about the simple-ness of a 9-patch. Said they had wished it could be outlawed. Don't know it was said in jest or not. But there are times when the 9-patch works perfectly! Case in point - the bug and animal blocks, among others.

And no offence taken, J.
Old 06-22-2011, 03:49 PM

I try to take that into consideration. If I see everyone else is doing brights, I will follow suit so my block fits with the rest. However, that being said, I do let the fabric speak to me if it is calling for something different I have done that in the past and just decided my block may not make it into the quilt, but it might make a great pillow cover!

Here is a general question for all----

When you see pics posted of blocks made for a person you haven't yet swapped with, do you factor in colors/style/pattern when selecting for the block you are making for them?

I am just curious. ;) :?: ;)