I Spy Swap with a Twist dead line to join is Sept.28th, 2013 >

I Spy Swap with a Twist dead line to join is Sept.28th, 2013

I Spy Swap with a Twist dead line to join is Sept.28th, 2013

Old 09-08-2013, 05:52 AM

Default I Spy Swap with a Twist dead line to join is Sept.28th, 2013

I Spy Swap with a Twist Dead Line to Join is Sept. 28, 2013

Please cut your charms before joining.

Charms need to be in my hands by October. 4th, 2013
Will start swapping on October 5th, 2013.

If you would like to be part of the I Spy Charm Swap, here are the guidelines. Please read carefully:

1.please pm me telling me that you want to enter the swap. In the pm please tell me how many sets you want to do,name and address along with board name. I will then send you a pm giving you my mailing address.

2. We will be swapping sets of 20 charm squares, each 5 inch square. You may send more than one set of 20 charms, up to 6 sets. Each set that you send to me CAN be cut from the same fabric (or 20 different fabrics) . You should be able to cut 20 five inch squares from around 1/2 yard of fabric depending on the design spacing. If you send more than one set, please use a different fabric for each set. I will divide up the charms randomly and return back to you 20 different charms per set. At least that is the goal, and I will try hard to do that! (If you send several sets, please realize that you might get duplicate charms in return.) if you do the twist no fabric from your originals are to be in there.

3. Please send 100 percent cotton only. Prewash or not prewash is except able . Squares should be carefully rotary cut from 100% cotton fabric. Keep in mind that your squares could end up in a child's quilt. Select fabrics that will hold up to a lot of love, wear, tears, draggin', cuddlin', washing, and trips through the dryer. Fabrics that fray easily, or are fairly easy to see through are not good candidates for this swap.

Please be advised that fabrics that are not square, squares too wonky or too off grain, squares that are shedding, squares that contain selvages, or those that are not 5" square will be returned unswapped. Be accurate in cutting the 5 inch squares. The novelty design should be good size, not tiny...it needs to be easily recognizable from a distance.Try to have the character centered on the charm as much as possible.

Be creative in your shopping...it would be great to not have too many sending me the same fabrics! In doing this I've only had a couple doubles. If you want you could post pictures of fabric it helps others in what they will send. Not a must though. Please no flowers, lines, solids,etc. These will be returned to you. we need more children fabric. Trucks, houses, food, characters , sports, camping,lets did dig deep and send in different things.License fabric is welcome. Children's fabrics please!!

4. Place each set of 20 charms in a zip lock sandwich size baggie. INCLUDE your name, address, and QB name on a piece of paper and put it inside baggies. please buy postage or concealed cash put in your envelopes.You just need to give me the correct postage. If postage is not included i will have to wait to send your charms back until you send the correct postage. I will provide flat rate envelopes they cost $5.95 now. Postage went up.
****Outside the US needs to add more postage for it will cost more. I'm sure when you send it you will know what to send. Please send correct amount for I will not ship until correct amount is received.****

5. The last day for me to receive the charms is October 4, 2013 I will post when I receive your charms. If you are sending them from outside the US, please keep this in mind as it sometimes takes weeks for packages to arrive. I will divide up the charms During the week and send out by October 11Th., 2013 Anything received after that will be returned to you.

Now for a twist on the swap:
You can additionally send in 6 baggies of 10 doubles in each = 20 charms in each bag. So basically 10 doubles=20 with your name and board name in each Baggie written on there saying this is for the Twist. I will swap Baggie for Baggie. So those of you wanting to do a I Spy match quilt this is for you. Now you have to at least do 2 baggies in the regular swap to be able to do the twist.(( The fabric MUST be different from the original sets)).

Remember to send in what you would like to receive back.
Let’s have tons of fun,and of course you have to follow all the basic rules, found here.
http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-20154-1.htm
Old 09-08-2013, 07:18 AM

I'm so excited! I just need to figure out how many I have for the twist and I will send a msg!
Old 09-08-2013, 08:12 AM

If both prewashed and unwashed are acceptable, would we be notified as to which we receive? It's often hard to tell, once fabric has been cut.
Old 09-08-2013, 09:03 AM

If the people inform I will inform everyone. Or you post here and let everyone know what is being sent. I think that will be the easiest for everyone.
Old 09-08-2013, 11:31 AM

I need help...I participated in a couple of the swaps and am just now making the quilts. I find that some squares are a tad too small and vice versa a tad too large. Do you measure each square before sewing or what? I thought I wanted the seams to meet but could begin every other row with a half square so the seams are off set, Will appreciate your expert opinions. Also, do you worry abut the directional patterns? All going the same way or anything goes?

Thanks so much and will be watching the swap....
Old 09-08-2013, 12:44 PM

"The novelty design should be good size, not tiny...it needs to be easily recognizable from a distance."

I bought these prints this summer specifically for this swap. Now I'm worried the design is to small. I places a quarter on each one to help you see what size they are. Please let me know.
Attached Thumbnails image.jpg  
Old 09-08-2013, 12:44 PM

Originally Posted by marybrace View Post
I need help...I participated in a couple of the swaps and am just now making the quilts. I find that some squares are a tad too small and vice versa a tad too large. Do you measure each square before sewing or what? I thought I wanted the seams to meet but could begin every other row with a half square so the seams are off set, Will appreciate your expert opinions. Also, do you worry abut the directional patterns? All going the same way or anything goes?

Thanks so much and will be watching the swap....

That's one of the reasons I usually shy away from swaps of small pieces. Even placing the ruler to one side or the other of the cutting board grid line, can result in noticeably smaller or larger cuts. On these smaller pieces, a few threads can make a really big size difference. Then if the fabric wasn't washed first, it ends up even smaller.

I'm thinking if I join this swap, I'll just take my received squares and if they don't match in size, just cut them all down to 4-1/2". Gotta see if I have any swap-worthy fabrics, first.
Old 09-08-2013, 01:35 PM

SheriR
I think your selections are great and would be happy to receive them.

Marybrace
I started working with squares from another swap last night, and found the same thing. I kinda figure that it is for kids, so I'm not going to stress too much. I also have 6.5 squares so I am alternating each row with a different size so the non matching seams won't be noticeable. I did wonder about the directions of the fabrics and if it mattered. I stared out making sure the pieces all faced one direction, then put the first row on upside-down. I am not about to take it apart, so they will alternate, I guess. When kids spread them out to play, they will sit all around the quilt anyway.
Old 09-08-2013, 01:53 PM

charp, alternating with 6.5 inch squares us a good idea------I have some of those too I also thought a thin, solid color sashing between rows might help. can even make one wider and embroider "I SPY" on it.

I don't feel so badly now and will go back to the machine and sew on...but still checking bacj here for any new words of wisdom....
Old 09-08-2013, 02:18 PM

What is the theme of the squares? kid prints?