Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Member Swaps and Round/Row Robins
NEW UPDATE!!  11/20 Secret Santa 2013---OPENING DAY-DECEMBER 8 @ 4PM EST!!!! >

NEW UPDATE!! 11/20 Secret Santa 2013---OPENING DAY-DECEMBER 8 @ 4PM EST!!!!

NEW UPDATE!! 11/20 Secret Santa 2013---OPENING DAY-DECEMBER 8 @ 4PM EST!!!!

Old 12-12-2013, 06:42 AM

This was my 3rd year doing SS and it has been a learning curve. Each year, particularly the 1st I send out my package worried that it isn't enough or the right stuff or the items simply won't be liked. I'm like "Mikey"-I like everything. The 1st year I had no idea the thread was active during the entire time from signing up to opening. They don't call me blondeslave for nothing... The second year I posted a little trying to fit in with the group even though I'm more comfortable as a lurker. In all honesty I never felt truly accepted by the established group of swappers and ended up as a lurker again. I don't think those of you who know each other well and banter all the time understand how intimidating it is as a newbie to try and jump in. If you take the risk and post and no one plays with you it's kind of...awkward-at least it was for me. This year I was so crazy busy at work through most of November that I barely had time to look at the thread a few times and when I did look it was completely overwhelming how many pages I was behind. I did make an attempt to jump in with both feet with my "whine" story but again other than a couple of comments there was no real response to my follow up posts so I mostly went back to lurking. Hey, at least I got to the edge of the hole this year. I'm not complaining-I had a ball putting the box together for my SS and received a wonderful box in return. I'm just trying to provide some perspective as to why some people may not post from my own experience. I'll still be back next year as long as Terri is willing to put up with us.
Old 12-12-2013, 08:06 AM

I posted my picture from TammyB on December Secret Pal # 101 Page 11. Thanks again, Tammy.
Old 12-12-2013, 09:38 AM

I think the problem was one of expectations.
Some of us considered it a swap, in which the participants would all be seen/heard and would have a chance to get to know each other. Some of us considered it a swap, in which to just exchange a gift, with little or no interaction. Different expectations usually result in hurt feelings. Maybe in the future, the participation rules can be stated more clearly, to avoid misunderstandings.

For what it's worth, this was my very first QB Secret Santa swap. It took several posts, before I felt accepted . . . but that's probably because so much was going on, around me. Also, I've noticed when I reply to a post, I have to back-track to where I left off reading, or I'll miss all of the posts in-between the one I answered and my own reply post. Even though I try not to miss any, I'll often see one quoted, which I don't remember reading. When the posts are coming quickly, it's especially hard to both reply and not miss some.
Old 12-12-2013, 10:20 AM

Hey everyone. I'm sorry I'm running late here. Life kind of blew up over the weekend and then work kind of blew up on Monday. I'm FINALLY getting around to opening my gift. I love it, it is from kequilts, she did a lovely job picking things out for me. The snowman is sitting on my desk, just looking at it cheers me up.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]451464[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails 000_0098.jpg  
Old 12-12-2013, 10:52 AM
Banned

My partner Mariposa (Rhonda) isn't able to post pictures.
So I am posting the pictures I did remember to take, but
I forgot to takes pictures of about 1/4 to 1/3 of the goodies
I sent her.

2 of the MAIN things I sent to her that I did not get a pic
of was a small pair of titanium scissors, and all the hot fix
crystals (about 21-22 different colors MOST in 3 sizes).
Which my hubs had fun laughing at me sitting on the bed
with a lap tray and all my crystals out with me counting
them by hand and labeling each little zip bag with color, size
and qty (about 144 in each bag).

The last photo shows how full the box was BEFORE I add the
wrapped goodies that I didn't take a picture of. Believe me I
had to repack that box 5 times in order to get everything into
and able to close/tape the top.

Rhonda I am glad you enjoyed your SS goodies.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]451473[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]451474[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]451475[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]451476[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]451477[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]451478[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails dscn2712-small-.jpg   dscn2708-small-.jpg   dscn2710-small-.jpg   dscn2707-small-.jpg   dscn2709-small-.jpg  

dscn2716-small-.jpg  
Old 12-12-2013, 11:51 AM

Hello At first I didn't understand what was going on so I went back and reread almost all the post and now I think I understand a little more. Knittee has said it well and in such fine words but each one of us went into this swap with open hopping for something we really wanted when in all realty were probally not going to get or at least that is the way we should have felt. I gave a list that was very general because my taste can get expensive and I didn't want that to hamper what I did get and I got some really wonderful things I loved all of them the bar of soap I got was great and makes my sewing room smell so good, the homemade scarf is good for my coat great colors, The blinking nose I got was so cute I wore it out to dinner but dh made me take it off before we went into the restruant, and the list goes on and on but none the less most of it wasn't on my list(thank goodness) but I was so excited I got what I got that not being on the list wasn't even a factor once I started opening the gifts. This is the season for giving and for receiving no matter what you get be happy enjoy and say thank you to who gave it to you and enjoy this season.
Old 12-12-2013, 01:22 PM

Originally Posted by bezzie2013 View Post
Hello At first I didn't understand what was going on so I went back and reread almost all the post and now I think I understand a little more. Knittee has said it well and in such fine words but each one of us went into this swap with open hopping for something we really wanted when in all realty were probally not going to get or at least that is the way we should have felt....
I joined the swap for the fun/social aspect, rather than the gift.

Not everyone has the means to shop sales and gather lots of goodies, for swaps. I think as long as the stated minimum requirements were met, a gift should be graciously accepted. If the minimum requirements/rules were not met, then I believe a complaint is justified - in a PM to Terri, not publicly.

My own Secret Santa (Blondeslave) went way above-and-beyond any expectations I had. I'm still in a bit of shock, at the amount of goodies I received . . . and how well she seems to know what I like!
Old 12-12-2013, 02:42 PM

Oh Blondeslave, I loved your story! It was so much fun flying hunting for the whine! Please join in again with the banter, you have a beautiful imagination to share! LOL!
Merry Christmas!
Old 12-12-2013, 03:02 PM

Hi, I have been really ill and in bed for days and I totally forgot to open my SS gift. I need to apologize to StephT for not letting her know about the gift she sent. I would like to give her a great big think you for the lovely gift, I love it and love purple. She did a great job, thank you so much StephT![ATTACH=CONFIG]451490[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]451491[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails ssanta-photos-001.jpg   ssanta-photos-002.jpg  
Old 12-12-2013, 03:31 PM

I enjoy putting the package together for my SS. In my opinion that is the best part. Just saying. I try to let the sender know by Private message that I like what they have picked out for me. Yes, everyone has different taste. If you do not like something, be gracious. You may be able to re gift it to someone else on the board. Live by the golden rule and we will all be happy. Just had to voice my opinion.