Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Member Swaps and Round/Row Robins (https://www.quiltingboard.com/member-swaps-round-row-robins-f11/)
-   -   Dear Jane Christmas Block Swap - Closed (https://www.quiltingboard.com/member-swaps-round-row-robins-f11/dear-jane-christmas-block-swap-closed-t23731.html)

crkathleen 08-05-2009 07:59 PM

I haven't either on paper but in my mind.....

kluedesigns 08-05-2009 08:00 PM

yes, we're all plotting in our minds

crkathleen 08-05-2009 08:06 PM

Kleu,
Can you explain cutting directions for my block (M-12).
For rotary cutting it shows 2" long and 1" wide. Basically 2" wide fabric?
I've never followed directions before. haha
Thanks

kluedesigns 08-05-2009 08:37 PM

since you sew by machine you can strip piece this to make all the same block.

i've attached a pic so you can see which section i'm talking about easier.

cut 2 strips of the red fabric 1 inch by the width of the fabric
cut 1 strip of the gold fabric 1 inch by the width of the fabric.

now sew the 3 strips together with the gold fabric in the middle.

now press the strip set.

now you will cut the strip set every 2 inches - basically you're cutting 2 inch squares. you'll need 4 per block so 72 for all 18 blocks.

from the green fabric you cut 2 inch squares you need 4 per block so 72 for all 18 blocks.

once you have the pieces all cut out you can sew the rows (1,2,3) and then when you have all of those you can sew the 3 rows to each other to finish the block.

when pressing the rows before sewing them to each other press the seams out on rows 1 & 3 and press the seams in on row 2.

this way when go to sew the rows to each other the seams will nest with each other and help you match the seam lines.

is it clear? do you have any questions?

kluedesigns 08-05-2009 08:37 PM

1 Attachment(s)
silly me forgot the pic

STAR 08-06-2009 04:04 AM

Thanx Bettia and everyone else :lol:
You are right Klue I decided to do a second so that I could do a throw. I think I would get more use out of that than a table runner :oops: but wanted to join because of my curiosity with the dear jane. I wasn't worried so much about time but more with my skill, just don't want to dissapoint. :? Everyone does such beautiful work, I just want to be sure I can contribute my best.
Haven't decided yet if I will keep or use as a gift, will have to wait to see my finished product :mrgreen:

STAR 08-06-2009 04:41 AM

Oh forgot to ask about my material. I have several that i am looking at and one of my christmas prints has white in it along with gold and biege is this allowed?? or no bright white at all? Thanx

KGoodhand 08-06-2009 05:00 AM

I have been following this thread and I so want to be included!
I figure if they don't need to be done right away....oh mark me down for C12. If all goes well I will get them done earlier then I think! I just have to get a couple other things done first! (Like my centers for IRR!!!)
Kendra

kluedesigns 08-06-2009 05:01 AM

Originally Posted by kluedesigns
since you sew by machine you can strip piece this to make all the same block.

i've attached a pic so you can see which section i'm talking about easier.

cut 2 strips of the red fabric 1 inch by the width of the fabric
cut 1 strip of the gold fabric 1 inch by the width of the fabric.

now sew the 3 strips together with the gold fabric in the middle.

now press the strip set.

now you will cut the strip set every 2 inches - basically you're cutting 2 inch squares. you'll need 4 per block so 72 for all 18 blocks.

from the green fabric you cut 2 inch squares you need 4 per block so 72 for all 18 blocks.

once you have the pieces all cut out you can sew the rows (1,2,3) and then when you have all of those you can sew the 3 rows to each other to finish the block.

when pressing the rows before sewing them to each other press the seams out on rows 1 & 3 and press the seams in on row 2.

this way when go to sew the rows to each other the seams will nest with each other and help you match the seam lines.

is it clear? do you have any questions?

don't make these cuts yet - i think the math is wrong. let me double check and i'll let you know.

i think these measurements will yield a 4.5 unfinished block.

MNQuilter 08-06-2009 05:03 AM

Originally Posted by STAR
Thanx Bettia and everyone else :lol:
You are right Klue I decided to do a second so that I could do a throw. I think I would get more use out of that than a table runner :oops: but wanted to join because of my curiosity with the dear jane. I wasn't worried so much about time but more with my skill, just don't want to dissapoint. :? Everyone does such beautiful work, I just want to be sure I can contribute my best.
Haven't decided yet if I will keep or use as a gift, will have to wait to see my finished product :mrgreen:

Star, don't worry, I feel the same way. I'm debating doing a second set but we will see how quickly I can get the first done! All the sneak peeks have me so excited to do this! I might just have to keep this around for myself, although I know my MIL would use a table runner and that would be one thing off my christmas list! Whoo hoo! We'll see!