Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Member Swaps and Round/Row Robins (https://www.quiltingboard.com/member-swaps-round-row-robins-f11/)
-   -   Row Robin 2012/2013 GROUP #3 (https://www.quiltingboard.com/member-swaps-round-row-robins-f11/row-robin-2012-2013-group-3-a-t200774.html)

charlottemarie 09-19-2012 11:50 AM

MizMelly so sorry about your baby being sick. Mine has problems pretty often, about every six months or so. He gets sick and has to stay in the hospital for a couple of days with IV's. Then the vet is stuck on $350 every time. This has been going on for several years now. He is about 15 years old. All our other kitties have passed away and he seems to be more well. Suppose he wanted to be an only kitty? Don't know, now he's working on my DH. Do you suppose he wants to be the only male in the house? Just saying...

MizMelly 09-19-2012 02:30 PM

Well, I must say, I have this compassionate streak that is very BIG. See, I have 3 older kitties (Dusty is my Avatar pic), that are all 9 years old. Then I have a 1 year old "Jack" who I rescued last year - he had a serious eye infection and I had to have it removed, so then I went to 4 indoor kitties with the addition of "One-eyed Jack". I also have a colony of outdoor kitties that I take care of. And gee, wouldn't you know it, I had ANOTHER kitten get a serious eye infection and had to have surgery done on him. That was Monday of this week. Vet bills are absolutely outrageous! It's a very good thing I have a huge fabric stash, so I should be fine digging through my stash to meet everyone's quilt themes.
But anyway, my new kitten is named "Frank" (Frankenstein? Frankencense?). He's adorable and just a wild boy now that he's recovering from surgery. Even tho I'm going to be beyond broke, I can't see my animals suffer and the other option I do not find acceptable when an otherwise healthy kitten has a treatable problem. I wasn't planning on retiring anytime soon anyway....

So, back to the quilting theme. I know I have a few fabrics with cherries, I also have several fabrics that look like wood.
It will be a few weeks before I start on mine, I do quilt commissions on the side and right now I'm working on a memory quilt for a client (37 photos!!!). They have to be placed in chronological order in the layout that the client specified. Not so much fun since I can't be as creative with layout as I'd like!

Qbee 09-19-2012 03:03 PM

Question.....it's a very long story but would any of you ladies be willing to switch groups with another lady?
I'd really appreciate it :D

charlottemarie 09-19-2012 04:08 PM

We only have one person who hasn't checked in. Could you check with her?
Charlottemarie

RainydayQuilter 09-19-2012 05:09 PM

Bus lady, I have to admit I love the idea of your theme. Creating a quilt about your mother and a mothers love, but I'm also a little nervous that I might get it wrong. With kitties and snowmen/snow people the hard part will be deciding which fabrics not to use. I actually have several of those fabrics in my stash. Yea!

Tam...Moo 09-19-2012 06:13 PM

Hello Group 3 swappers...I am excited to be part of this group. I am thinking about a wacky dog print quilt. my older son is nuts about his dogs...thought it might be a great quilt for a future christmas present. I will post a picture when I get it together and you can give me your honest opinions, Looking forward to getting to know you all throughout this journey.

charlottemarie 09-19-2012 06:35 PM

RainydayQuilter, Don't worry we are all just a click away with the internet. If you have problems with anything or can't figure what to do, just let us know. We all can help with ideas and will be glad to help. I will help in any way I can. Just have faith and keep going, that is why we have 2 months to fix each row. Things will come to you.

charlottemarie 09-19-2012 06:39 PM

Tam Moo we are very glad to have you with us. This is an awesome group. Buslady come on in and talk to us when you can. MizMelly glad to have you also! Girls I am so sleepy I have to go to bed now. I will read your emails if any show up in the morning. Have a good evening!

charlottemarie 09-20-2012 05:46 PM

Here is the info I was going to post for you to read and make comments if you want to:

If at any time, for any reason, you believe you will no longer be able to particpate, please let me know. Life happens, for the good and not-so- good, and we understand that. If you think you might hold up the group for some unseen reason, let us know and we will work out how to keep the rows moving and get back to you when timing is better. We have two months to complete each round.

A few things to know:
always send the row your make/complete to the person listed after you.

Mailing dates are:
1st Row – mail by Dec. 1st
Row 2 – Feb. 1st
Row 3 – April 1st
Row 4 – June. 1st
Row 5 – Aug. 1st

A few things to think about:

Correspondence - include with your starter row. This could be a piece paper, note card or anything you choose. Consider this your opportunity to express your preferences, such as colors, techniqes, and what not to do/use. Perhaps you prefer to join your rows when they come home to you - you would state that in your correspondence.

Labels - Send along a label with your starter row for each person to sign. This can be as simple or fancy as you want.

Sashings - Does anyone in the group have objections if any of the swappers wants to send along sashing to be used to join the rows together? It may affect the cost of shipping.

Mailing the rows - What is the preference of the group - do we mail according to the dates, or do we want to mail the rows as soon as they are finished?

What are we forgetting to address?
Suggestions?
Comments?

Charlottemarie

MizMelly 09-21-2012 09:14 AM

Originally Posted by charlottemarie (Post 5529404)
A few things to think about:

Correspondence - include with your starter row. This could be a piece paper, note card or anything you choose. Consider this your opportunity to express your preferences, such as colors, techniqes, and what not to do/use. Perhaps you prefer to join your rows when they come home to you - you would state that in your correspondence.

Labels - Send along a label with your starter row for each person to sign. This can be as simple or fancy as you want.

Sashings - Does anyone in the group have objections if any of the swappers wants to send along sashing to be used to join the rows together? It may affect the cost of shipping.

Mailing the rows - What is the preference of the group - do we mail according to the dates, or do we want to mail the rows as soon as they are finished?

What are we forgetting to address?
Suggestions?
Comments?

Charlottemarie

I have no problem with rows being mailed as soon as they are finished, I won't be starting mine until mid-October since I'm finishing up a commission memory quilt for a client right now. I do plan to have it done and mailed long before the December deadline tho.

I also have no problem if people want sashing, it won't increase the cost that much for sending Priority mail, which is what I plan to do.

As far as correspondence and labels. I say "YES" and "YES". A card with preferences would be greatly appreciated! I know for mine, rows can be assembled, and I would request that each row not be all the same, since I want mine to be truely scrappy in nature.

Just my $.02 worth!