Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Member Swaps and Round/Row Robins

Old 12-03-2012, 03:30 PM

Dabbler, you will enjoy these swaps! And your partner, Lynnie does awesome work! Now I have to ask what...
lefse is???
Old 12-03-2012, 09:32 PM

Lefse is a scandanavian - it's flat like a tortilla - it's made with potatoes, real butter, heavy whipping cream, pinch of salt and flour. It's rolled paper thin on a special board with a special lefse rolling pin; it's picked up with a turning stick and gently placed on a hot lefse griddle; once it starts to bubble and turn a little brown you use your turning stick to flip it and when it's done it's stacked/layered between old table cloths/sheets/cotton dish towels to cool down. Once it's cooled you put butter on it, sprinkle with sugar or brown sugar and roll up and eat. Some like to eat with Lutifisk - it's very popular in our area as many of our scandanavian ansestors settled in this area. The lutheran churches around this area have Lutifisk suppers. If you google it you will probably get a better description. They sell it for $15-18 per dozen. I make it and donate it - if I sold it - it would seem to much like work and no longer fun to make. It's very tedious and time consuming to make.
Old 12-03-2012, 10:08 PM

oh heck no to flinging potato cakes in the air with tweezers! LOL My mom made stuffed crepes almost the same way but we would at times just squeeze lemon juice a tad of melted butter and power sugar and your right delicious. I would gladly pay for that memory again.. do you travel and flip crepes?

I am so happy I have a wondeful partner AGAIN. My first partner and I have had a few very nice emails and now psychomomaquilter is also being sweet and chattering back and forth. Its wonderful getting to know a bit about the person your quilting for. The personalized part is truly a joy. I am thinking black on black what say you partner? oh not holiday spirit enough but what if its like the coal from a snowmans belly button? or.. well that is as good as that thought gets so it will have to be a tad more traditional. You will love it even if right?
Old 12-04-2012, 05:12 AM

Linda, you ARE a brat. Such a tease!! I love reading your banter! I am so looking forward to this month. I just love Christmas. I have myself so backed up right now that I am not able to start til this weekend, and that is if I get off my butt after work the next couple of days and get to work. I hate that I have to come in to work 5 days a week. I'd much rather be home sewing. Oh, well. Such is life. Sew when I can.
Old 12-04-2012, 07:32 AM

[QUOTE=Elisabrat;5697190]oh heck no to flinging potato cakes in the air with tweezers! LOL My mom made stuffed crepes almost the same way but we would at times just squeeze lemon juice a tad of melted butter and power sugar and your right delicious. I would gladly pay for that memory again.. do you travel and flip crepes?

Sorry no - want me to fling one your way - they're flat enough if I flung it real hard it might make it by Christmas!!! I can just see the news headlines between here and there - UFO coming in for a landing in the coastal mountains of California - there are a lot of unfortunates out there that have no idea of what lefse. Thanks for letting me be a goof
Old 12-04-2012, 10:08 AM

Sent a pm to my partner ljdugas31. So excited.
Old 12-04-2012, 11:49 AM

Originally Posted by dabbler312 View Post
Lefse is a scandanavian - it's flat like a tortilla - it's made with potatoes, real butter, heavy whipping cream, pinch of salt and flour. It's rolled paper thin on a special board with a special lefse rolling pin; it's picked up with a turning stick and gently placed on a hot lefse griddle; once it starts to bubble and turn a little brown you use your turning stick to flip it and when it's done it's stacked/layered between old table cloths/sheets/cotton dish towels to cool down. Once it's cooled you put butter on it, sprinkle with sugar or brown sugar and roll up and eat. Some like to eat with Lutifisk - it's very popular in our area as many of our scandanavian ansestors settled in this area. The lutheran churches around this area have Lutifisk suppers. If you google it you will probably get a better description. They sell it for $15-18 per dozen. I make it and donate it - if I sold it - it would seem to much like work and no longer fun to make. It's very tedious and time consuming to make.
Thank goodness I have an aversion to my kitchen.. that sounds like way too much time but they do sound nice enough to eat when done. But peeling all those potatoes... heck, I could sew a dolls quilt in the same time as it takes me to peel that many spuds !
Old 12-04-2012, 07:26 PM

Tam...Moo.... here's your sneak peek.
Attached Thumbnails p1010067.jpg  
Old 12-05-2012, 07:15 AM

LOVE IT BRANDY! Tam...moo looks like its gonna be a Winter Blues theme! Makes me feel all snowy just looking at it!
To bad our weather isn't!
Old 12-05-2012, 08:58 AM
Banned

Our weather here in CO hasn't been to cold either much less snowy LOL.

We have been having much warmer than normal temperatures recently.

See that you live in Statesville; I lived in Catawba County until August 1998
when I loaded up the car and booked it out of there with my oldest daughter.

I sometimes miss it out there, but I DON'T miss the lower wages.

Originally Posted by QuiltingKrazy View Post
LOVE IT BRANDY! Tam...moo looks like its gonna be a Winter Blues theme! Makes me feel all snowy just looking at it!
To bad our weather isn't!