Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures > Mission: Organization
Carpet or hard surface? >

Carpet or hard surface?

Carpet or hard surface?

Old 03-17-2015, 12:50 PM

I prefer wood. I hate carpet for any room.I can run a dust mop without having to move furniture. And I know my floors are clean. Dirt filters through the carpet and if you have critters their hair is almost impossible to get off/out of carpeting. And if you drop pin's you can find them before they have to be pulled out of your foot.
Old 03-17-2015, 04:31 PM
Vat

Have had carpet, never again. Now I have ceramic tile, easy to vacuum, mop, Swiffer, etc. , etc. It is by far the best flooring I have every had.
Old 03-17-2015, 05:29 PM

I vote for ceramic tile. My last house, I had carpet, hated it. I love the tile. Easier to clean. Add an Irobot roomba and my floors are cleaned every night. Can't beat that!
Old 03-17-2015, 05:56 PM

I have a Berber and really like that it's warm, soft and quiet underfoot, the chair rolls easily but not out from under me, and it's not too hard to clean. Sure it'd be easier to sweep with a broom, but at least it's just one surface to clean.
Old 03-18-2015, 01:44 AM

I have indoor outdoor carpet in my sewing room. I do like it a lot , I think wood collects to much dust.
I do have wood floors everywhere else.
Old 03-18-2015, 05:19 AM

I used to have carpet but I drop pins all the time. They land on an angle and I'm always barefoot! OUCH! No more carpet for me...my house is all hardwoods upstairs and porcelain tile in the full finished basement where my quilt studio is. So easy to sweep at day's end.
Old 03-18-2015, 10:16 AM

Currently have carpet in my sewing room BUT am getting ready to change it to laminate flooring. Vacuuming clogs up my vacuum cleaner with threads so DH is constantly cleaning it out. While I have two of the vinyl chair mats so that I can roll easier between the computer and the sewing and embroidery machines, they keep cracking and need replacing and that gets expensive.

I have laminate floors in the rest of the house except for the other two bedrooms, and I love the ease of cleaning it.

Just my opinion.
Old 03-18-2015, 03:23 PM

I know a lot of people recommend laminate or hardwood in their sewing room. I have carpet and really like it. I know how I am and don't clean it nearly as often as I should. Hardwood would show all of the thread, fabric scraps and dust bunnies(I suspect I have some bigger than bunnies, more like dust bears) on my floor. I go in there to clean and get distracted and start working on a project. Carpet hide a lot of mess for me. I have Berber carpet that is off white with colored flecks in it. Hide a lot of sins.
My whole house has this carpet and it has been down for 16 years. I have 4 kids and a DH who works in the mud. I have come home to muddy footprint on my carpet all the way thru the livingroom. If I let them dry they vacuum right up. My next carpet will be something similar. I would rather sew than clean.
Old 03-18-2015, 08:57 PM

I thought I wanted hardwood through out the house. My husband wants carpet through out. Because of his allergies, we have hardwood in the bedrooms and carpet in the hallway and living room. Because we were replacing baseboards, we ripped the carpet up and was on hardwood floors for a week. Today they installed new carpet and I am really happy we decided to put carpet back in. It is warmer, softer, and a lot less noise. It might be worth pulling out the old carpet and living without for a couple of weeks to see how you feel. However, go with what you really want.
Old 03-18-2015, 10:23 PM
Power Poster

I have hardwood floors. You do see everything on it but it is so easy to get threads and dust it makes up for it. Besides thread I feel fabric seems to have a lot of dust. It tends to stay in the rugs or carpet and make me sneeze.