Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures > Mission: Organization
Carpet or hard surface? >

Carpet or hard surface?

Carpet or hard surface?

Old 03-16-2015, 06:35 PM

I have a very low pile carpet. The indoor /outdoor type. I like because the nippets , thread and lint don't travel. Yes I do have to vacuum , but everything is pretty much in the middle right where I dropped it. I have had it for twenty plus years and it still looks pretty good.
Old 03-17-2015, 03:19 AM

I love the "Hoarder Porch" term! Is it really a porch?

I have had hardwood and carpeting...in my sewing room. (Moved it to the next room which is larger and carpeted) both have pro and cons.
Sandy
Old 03-17-2015, 04:25 AM

I go with hard floor. It is easier to clean up pins and thread clippings.
Old 03-17-2015, 04:33 AM

I have wood laminate and tile throughout my house. Wood laminate in my sewing room and tile in my longarm room (formerly the back porch). Both are very easy to keep clean. Since you are going for the beachy look, what about pine flooring (either the real stuff or laminate). It sounds like it will be really nice and a pleasing place to be in!
Old 03-17-2015, 06:27 AM

One vote for hard surface! I have one and have lived with it since 1975. No pins in bare feet (Florida). No threads, bits, etc. in cats' innards, no lost buttons, snaps, screws and etc., easy to keep clean, easy to collect spilled equipment (beads, drinks, etc.), doesn't stain, can be wet or dry mopped quickly, throw rugs can be applied where needed and removed for shaking and so on, a chair with rollers moves beautifully with a minimum of thread removal from the rollers, and for lots of other reasons that aren't coming to the tips of my fingers. This thread stopped me on my way elsewhere and I'm runnig late.

Think really hard about the floor decision. Enjoy whatever it is. That's as crucial as the decision itself. Ask me how I know. (Just held up a bank and bought an extremly expensive sewing/embroidery machine. It's in the shop after 4+ months and I am a tad disgruntled. A design "difficulty" that was known by the maker before I bought the thing. I am going to keep it. It is mostly, exactly what I wanted and I am going to love it no matter what and use the daylights out of it. The factory shop repair set up is top notch and the dealer is even better. Whatever it is will get done well and I am determined. Can you spell "bullheaded" too?)

Happy St. Patrick's Day to us all.

Pat
Old 03-17-2015, 09:23 AM

I had carpet installed in my sewing area. Easier on my knees and ankles and I think easier to take care of. I have a plastic sheet under my sewing cabinet so my chair rolls easy. I rather run a vacuum than a broom, swifter or dust mop. I have carpet, hardwood and ceramic tile in my house and the dog and DH get the hard surfaces all footprints. DH does the hardwood floors - just not often enough for me!
Old 03-17-2015, 09:24 AM
Power Poster

I prefer carpet since getting older like the padding underneath my feet and the floors are as cold.
Old 03-17-2015, 09:42 AM

I have split brick in my floor. It is very hard on the feet. I have rubber mats around my long arm and cutting table. A magnet picks up dropped items from it. I have felt like carpet would be more comfortable. At the quilt expo in Atlanta last week, one of the vendors had wonder mat on the floor. It was so soft. Two vendors over the floor was covered with the mats I use. I hope to replace my mats and maybe cover the whole floor with the wonder mat. The vendor said it was available in different colors. They had a wood grain. I was really impressed with the comfort. My feet and legs were already hurting from all the walking, standing and looking. I felt better while standing on the mat in that booth.
Old 03-17-2015, 10:35 AM

I also have Berber carpet and really like it in my sewing room. I do use a clear acrylic mat under my sewing chair, however. It rolls very nicely and also makes it very easy to pick up all the loose threads and pins I sometimes drop.
Originally Posted by Tartan View Post
I have a low pile Berber type carpet in my sewing room. I like it because it keeps my threads in that room. I do have to vacuum once in a while. My rolling chair rolls well on it but stays in place when I' m sewing. There are advantages to both carpet and tile so go with what you like.
Old 03-17-2015, 12:38 PM

I am in the process of redoing my family room. Tore out the wall-wall and painted. I had only been painting for about an hour and my legs were killing me. LIGHTBULB!!! the cement was way toooo hard. Painted the cement gray and added braided rugs that I can move to where I am working. Much better.