Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures > Mission: Organization
Drooling over the expensive cabinets. Frugal, not cheap. HaHa. >

Drooling over the expensive cabinets. Frugal, not cheap. HaHa.

Drooling over the expensive cabinets. Frugal, not cheap. HaHa.

Old 12-18-2014, 03:43 AM

Default Drooling over the expensive cabinets. Frugal, not cheap. HaHa.

I've always had my machine just sitting on top of whatever table was available. Right now it is a huge banquet table. Which is great because of all the space. I used to use one end for cutting, etc. But now I have a huge 4x8 work area. Half of it has an ironing surface that is removable.

So I don't really need the huge table just for the sewing machine. Also I've been having some tension issues that don't appear on my sample pieces, just when I get the whole quilt under the needle.

So I'm wondering if it is my set up.

How many of you have a flat sewing surface? I'd love one of the L shaped cabinets with a lift. But for a hobby? And they think an awful lot of them.

I've been watching CL for someone selling.
Old 12-18-2014, 04:00 AM

I bought a very heavy folding banquet table for $10 and used it for years. However,, I ran across a great sewing table with the dropped surface that my machine fit perfectly! $80 at a rummage sale. I do NOT miss that banquet table. keep in mind the size of your machine and make sure it will fit into any pre-loved tables you may run across on CL, etc. Maybe ask machine dealers if they have any leads on used furniture as people upgrade to larger machines that no longer fit their furniture.

an idea, if you have handy men with jigsaws, you can buy nice, sturdy wood tables and he could figure out out how to retrofit the dropped surface or add the lifts. Or, to make it easier....save and buy! Tailormade and Arrow are "affordable". Koala is top is TOL in price.

I drool over sewing machine furniture too!
sandy
Old 12-18-2014, 05:23 AM

Originally Posted by Sandygirl View Post
I bought a very heavy folding banquet table for $10 and used it for years. However,, I ran across a great sewing table with the dropped surface that my machine fit perfectly! $80 at a rummage sale. I do NOT miss that banquet table. keep in mind the size of your machine and make sure it will fit into any pre-loved tables you may run across on CL, etc. Maybe ask machine dealers if they have any leads on used furniture as people upgrade to larger machines that no longer fit their furniture.

an idea, if you have handy men with jigsaws, you can buy nice, sturdy wood tables and he could figure out out how to retrofit the dropped surface or add the lifts. Or, to make it easier....save and buy! Tailormade and Arrow are "affordable". Koala is top is TOL in price.

I drool over sewing machine furniture too!
sandy
thanks for the input. My sewing machine is huge. So no one would be selling to get a bigger one. I have the Janome 12000 MC. My DH can build anything. Including our kitchen cabinets. That's the problem. My table isn't a priority right now and probably not for a long time. So I'm trying to solve the problem myself because I'm getting impatient and also think it might be affecting the quality of my stitches.
Old 12-18-2014, 06:36 AM

I have a horn table and love it. I did save for a while to buy it and I got a pretty good deal one year at the Houston International Quilt Show. My friend has the same one that she bought on Ebay for a reduced price. I think if you look around you can probably find one in your budget.
Old 12-18-2014, 07:59 AM

I have a very old ironing board that I can lower to the height of my sewing table it sits on my left to help hold up the quilt. can be folded away when not needed. On my right I have a 2 wooden TV trays, one I padded and can use as ironing board if needed, second I just use to hold odds and ends may need, thread, pin cushion, ---- Not fancy but it work for me
Old 12-18-2014, 09:24 AM

Originally Posted by Gramie bj View Post
I have a very old ironing board that I can lower to the height of my sewing table it sits on my left to help hold up the quilt. can be folded away when not needed. On my right I have a 2 wooden TV trays, one I padded and can use as ironing board if needed, second I just use to hold odds and ends may need, thread, pin cushion, ---- Not fancy but it work for me
What about the machine itself? Is it flush with the table?
Old 12-18-2014, 09:47 AM

Don't give up on Craigslist... I have been searching Craigslist for 3 YEARS and finally found my dream Koala sewing table! We just picked it up last weekend and it is amazing Need to order the acrylic insert so I don't know yet how it will be to quilt on it.

RE: the tension problems, is all of your quilt supported while you are quilting it? Maybe you need another small table to the left of your machine to take some of the weight? Also, you can buy a "sew steady" table for your machine that has about a 2 sq ft area of raised height around the needle.
Old 12-19-2014, 02:25 AM

You might check out the Gidget 2 to see if it will fit your machine. It's not too expensive and your machine will sit flush. But with a larger machine, there isn't a lot of space around it. I have a 6' folding table alongside mine.
Old 12-19-2014, 03:40 AM

The janome 12000 is huge and heavy. I had no idea from the original post that was the machine Sval was referring to. My 2 cents is to shop and pop for a table that supports and fits the large TOL machines. The machines are not cheap and protecting the investment is worth it IMHO. I have a Janome 9900 which is not as large so I really was fortunate to find my pre-owned table. I would still love to have a table with the lift mechanism. I keep shopping and dreaming. For now, my set up works just fine.

sval, have you talked to the dealer about furniture that you purchased your machine from? I am always amused that when one drops some $$ on a machine the dealer does not at least try to sell furniture too....at a reduced cost, at least. My experience from having purchased 4 machines in the last 7 years. Curious.

good luck!
sandy
Old 12-19-2014, 03:56 AM

Originally Posted by Sandygirl View Post
The janome 12000 is huge and heavy. I had no idea from the original post that was the machine Sval was referring to. My 2 cents is to shop and pop for a table that supports and fits the large TOL machines. The machines are not cheap and protecting the investment is worth it IMHO. I have a Janome 9900 which is not as large so I really was fortunate to find my pre-owned table. I would still love to have a table with the lift mechanism. I keep shopping and dreaming. For now, my set up works just fine.

sval, have you talked to the dealer about furniture that you purchased your machine from? I am always amused that when one drops some $$ on a machine the dealer does not at least try to sell furniture too....at a reduced cost, at least. My experience from having purchased 4 machines in the last 7 years. Curious.

good luck!
sandy
Sandygirl: I see you have quite a few Janomes. Which one would you say give the best stitch and overall performance for quilting?
This one of mine is surely a lemon. I have trouble with tension and other things all the time. Either that or it is just very finicky.