Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures > Mission: Organization
Drooling over the expensive cabinets. Frugal, not cheap. HaHa. >

Drooling over the expensive cabinets. Frugal, not cheap. HaHa.

Drooling over the expensive cabinets. Frugal, not cheap. HaHa.

Old 12-19-2014, 05:28 AM

Originally Posted by Gramie bj View Post
I have a very old ironing board that I can lower to the height of my sewing table it sits on my left to help hold up the quilt. can be folded away when not needed. On my right I have a 2 wooden TV trays, one I padded and can use as ironing board if needed, second I just use to hold odds and ends may need, thread, pin cushion, ---- Not fancy but it work for me
I use my ironing board also as a support when working with large items, works well for me .
Old 12-19-2014, 03:52 PM

I sewed on a regular table (kitchen or banquet) for years. I now have a koala table that my machine drops down in that provides a larger flat surface area when I'm sewing. I love it. Eleanor Burns has a video that shows how her son altered a table or a desk for her machine. It was actually on one of her older Quilt in a Day shows. I think that you can access her shows from her website.
Old 12-19-2014, 04:20 PM

Originally Posted by sval View Post
Sandygirl: I see you have quite a few Janomes. Which one would you say give the best stitch and overall performance for quilting?
This one of mine is surely a lemon. I have trouble with tension and other things all the time. Either that or it is just very finicky.
I am sorry to hear that you are having challenges with the 12000. I would talk to your dealer. I love my 9900 sew/embroid machine. I bought it to replace the 9700. It does not have the deep space you have for quilting. It quilts fine....it is the operator that is not so great. (Me). I do not do FMQ ....i just stitch-in-the-ditch or use decorative stitches to quilt small projects. For large projects i send to my long arm quilter. I, frankly, am bored to tears "quilting". I love to piece. I love the embroidery function and the 9mm stitches. I take my smaller 3050 for classes, etc. My serger has barely been used. Sigh.....love Janome brand!

sandy
Old 12-19-2014, 08:03 PM

Originally Posted by lfletcher View Post
I have a horn table and love it. I did save for a while to buy it and I got a pretty good deal one year at the Houston International Quilt Show. My friend has the same one that she bought on Ebay for a reduced price. I think if you look around you can probably find one in your budget.
I also have a Horn cabinet (quiltmate II), I can fit my Pfaff Quilt Expression 4.2. I bought a new plexiglas insert for it, it fits just fine. The machine in the photo is a Husqvarna Viking Sapphire 875, its the same size as my Pfaff 4.2.
Sharon in Texas
Attached Thumbnails spiderweb-being-quilted-005.jpg  
Old 12-19-2014, 08:23 PM

My sister and I repurposed her huge computer desk to fit her machine last weekend. We removed the hutch and cut for the machine. Sanded and rounded the edges of the cut and she painted it. We took one of the shelves and attached to the underside of the desk with long bolts, large washers, and nuts. We were able to get it perfectly level and at the correct height using the nuts as adjustments. (saw this on this board in another post, can't find it now.) It works great and was easy to do. Not sure how it would be on a really heavy machine. This is a Kenmore 385.1960180. A solid machine but not an anchor. I know I wouldn't put my grandmothers Nelco in there, that thing weighs 38 pounds and was advertised as portable.

This was easy to do. Even with painting the top, it was complete in a day, really just a few hours. There is some really quick drying spray paint now.
Attached Thumbnails repurposed-machine-table.jpg  
Old 12-20-2014, 04:22 AM

Having my machine flush with the table has made a huge, positive difference when I'm sewing. Not having the fabric go up and over makes for a lot more accuracy without so much manipulating, and my arms/shoulders don't get so tired.
Old 12-20-2014, 05:37 PM

I have seen (either on here or just online somewhere, not sure) where people use insulation board around their machine to make it an even surface for quilting. It might be something inexpensive to try while you're looking for the perfect sewing table.
Old 12-20-2014, 08:22 PM

I also keep looking at the sewing tables. I have an antique ding room table the is huge, 40+ x 60+. It's great for all the support area but puts stress on my shoulders when quilting/binding a big quilt. I have a Bernina 710 & wonder how to get at the bobbin area with the drop-in tables. What brand would work with this machine?
Old 12-21-2014, 03:56 AM

Default Tables

Tailormade are exceptional tables, Stone Soup Batiks has a great sale on them right now..they have three sizes..
Old 12-21-2014, 04:54 AM

Originally Posted by ladysuds View Post
Tailormade are exceptional tables, Stone Soup Batiks has a great sale on them right now..they have three sizes..
I tried to find Stone soup Batiks. An Etsy site came up. So furniture. Can you help me find it? I looked at the Tailormade cabinets on their website. They look like what I"m looking for and in my tolerance level. Thanks.