Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures > Mission: Organization
Fabric Organization >

Fabric Organization

Fabric Organization

Old 01-27-2016, 09:24 AM

I still remember when I moved to this house 5 years ago and had to decide how I wanted to display my fabrics. Heard about the comic book boards so ordered what I thought I'd need. Boy was a way off. I hadn't realized just how much fabric I had in my totes as they'd been stored for 5 years. I still have some apparel fabrics in plastic totes yet stored under the quilt frame for lack of any place else to hide it. I've ran out of room down here to buy anymore fabrics........though I break my rule and buy more when I see something I just have to have. But I'm making way thru it all.
Old 01-27-2016, 09:24 AM

I am doing the same thing. My craft room is a disaster area. But soon all will be in order. I can't wait. I am so tired of digging for material or tools I need.
Old 01-27-2016, 11:31 AM

I also need to organize my fabric. My stash looks like it's exploded, which it has. I have tubs, but I end up pulling fabric out and it suddenly doesn't fit when I need to put it away. I also have more fabric than totes and don't want to buy more. I am trying to be patient waiting for our Ikea store to open, but that's not until sometime around August. When I drive by the site, I feel like that old Mervyn's commercial where the woman is standing outside saying "Open, Open, Open."
Old 01-28-2016, 06:19 AM

Mine was pretty organized BUT DH decided now is the time to replace the carpet with the vinyl plank flooring we have talked about. I am thrilled, however, it means taking EVERYTHING out. Since we are doing that, it is forcing me to rethink the configuration, sorting through books, kits etc. Moved two bookcases to the bedroom, making room in the guest room closet for overflow fabric and hoping to add a countertop so I can have a couple more machines up and ready to use, rather than on the shelf. Here is a before picture:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]541335[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]541337[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]541338[/ATTACH]

I'm thinking of moving the current oak desk in front of the window and adding a countertop to the entire length of the wall under the pegboard, to make a "U" shape. Will have to move the Tiara and cutting table a bit to accommodate the width of the oak desk, but should have enough room. The closet is FULL of projects. My design wall rolls down over the window, but will move that to the guest room so it hangs over the closet when in use. What do you think? Any further ideas?
Attached Thumbnails s.-wall-craft-room.jpg   dscf4288.jpg   dscf4289.jpg   dscf4290.jpg  
Old 01-28-2016, 07:36 AM

What is your cutting table/pressing table made from? Nice pegboard set up over the machine

I like the idea of the counter.
Old 01-28-2016, 08:43 AM

I use the comic book boards and the bolt boards for larger than 3yds. As I tend to order more of the same fabric, especially from Connecting Threads and they have various colors in the collection, I have started to stick their label to the bolt/board so I know exactly which color it is. Some of their colors are so close to each other and of course when you look online its hard to tell which one it is you need. I find this helps me as I have quite a few of their complete collections, especially their blender fabrics such as "Mirage". Also have found out that not every bolt of their fabric matches. Thank goodness for their return policy.
Old 01-28-2016, 10:32 AM

i absolutely love your space!
you might want to give some thought on the angle & time of day that the sun comes thru the window before putting your desk there. we have a chair in our house that's unusable for a few hours in the fall because the sun would blind anyone who sat there.

chris in virginia
Old 01-28-2016, 11:13 AM

Chris458 is right. I thought putting my sewing machine in front of the window would be great for light, but instead it was too bright. So had to put it off at an angle which is fine but I was surprised it didn't work. My window is a south facing window so that may be why.

Since my DH is not what you could call talented working with wood, I depend a lot on Ikea and even thrift stores for my storage assistance. Just bought two "Omar" shelving units from Ikea to put in the closet of my sewing room for my fabric bins. It is so nice to have to be able to get to each bin without having to remove three bins on top. Except for the large flat bins, those needed to be stacked 2 per shelf. So I am thinking about replacing them with taller ones that aren't so long. It will be the same storage area just in a different shape. (Sounds like a trip to Joann's is needed.)

Last edited by quiltingcandy; 01-28-2016 at 11:19 AM.
Old 01-28-2016, 03:08 PM

I am going to have my craft room remodeled and I went through all of my fabric and I marked the yardage on each piece but I have never heard of using comic book boards to store fabric. What size do you use and are there instructions on how to fold the fabric? I'd love to have my stash accessible. It was like a Treasure hunt when I started going through all of my fabric. I found fabric I forgot I had and I found fabric that I knew I had but I couldn't find it. I really want an efficient and organized work area.
Old 01-28-2016, 03:33 PM

Originally Posted by EmiliasNana View Post
Mine was pretty organized BUT DH decided now is the time to replace the carpet with the vinyl plank flooring we have talked about. I am thrilled, however, it means taking EVERYTHING out. Since we are doing that, it is forcing me to rethink the configuration, sorting through books, kits etc. Moved two bookcases to the bedroom, making room in the guest room closet for overflow fabric and hoping to add a countertop so I can have a couple more machines up and ready to use, rather than on the shelf. Here is a before picture:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]541335[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]541337[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]541338[/ATTACH]

I'm thinking of moving the current oak desk in front of the window and adding a countertop to the entire length of the wall under the pegboard, to make a "U" shape. Will have to move the Tiara and cutting table a bit to accommodate the width of the oak desk, but should have enough room. The closet is FULL of projects. My design wall rolls down over the window, but will move that to the guest room so it hangs over the closet when in use. What do you think? Any further ideas?
dd

Wow, everything looks so neat and organized. Your pegboard is well done. Could you tell me what those teal colored containers are and where you got them? How about the grey things above them? What's in them?