Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Fat Quarter storage: where do you put them?

Fat Quarter storage: where do you put them?

I'd love to see where you store your fat quarters! Do you put them in a drawer? On the floor?

Here's a picture of what I did with mine... I found 2 letter sorters at a thrift store and stacked them. They are the perfect this for fat quarters. I took this picture last year, when I first started organizing my stash. It's nearly full now, I should take another picture.

At the very bottom, you can barely see the tops of my comic book cardboard. I use that to fold the fabric that is too small to fit on a bolt but too big to to fold into fat quarters size.

Name:  fatquarter.png
Views: 1956
Size:  364.2 KB
    Last edited by Christine-; 08-13-2014 at 02:58 AM.

That's a great idea. And, I like how you've arranged the fabric by color.

Blog Entries
    I just learned about the comic book cardboard. I love the way it helps organize small amounts of fabric and how great it looks on a bookshelf. It is so easy to find the colors I need.
    Ellie Bunt
    Concord, CA

Looks like the ideal piece of furniture. I keep my storebough fat quarters in shoeboxes, filed by color. If I cut yardage down and end up with a homemade fat quarter, I roll it and wrap a contrasting strip of fabric around it, and stand it on end in a pretty container.

Artbin double deep satchel
    Brother XL-3500i, SQ-9050, Dreamweaver XE6200D

I had, emphasis on HAD, an abundance of those plastic shoe boxes inherited from a family member who actually stored shoes in them. Imagine that! They are now used as storage for fat quarters and those smaller standard cuts of fabric. I have a 2.5, 3, 4, 5 and then a box for binding tails and another for salvages and ... well you get the picture. I had the plastic shoe boxes on hand, so used them. They work!

I use an old CD storage shelf. This is my 3yr Granddaughters collection. Everytime we go to the store she chooses several. Over the winter I will help her design a quilt and she wants to "sew" it together. I think she will have more than enough. Sorry I still can't get the picture to turn upright.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

I love my CD holders! I keep a large collection on a shelf in my sewing storage room but my most recents and soon to be used are stored right by my sewing area. I bought both of these at Salvation Army for $2.50!

Name:  image.jpg
Views: 1599
Size:  475.4 KB
    Last edited by Cogito; 08-14-2014 at 04:50 AM.
    The expert's mind has no room to learn while the beginner's mind is free to know everything....

I have two dressers (chest type) each has 5 drawers. One dresser holds the fat-quarters, sorted by colors, and divided by balsa wood planks that I purchased at Hobby Lobby. The other dresser holds yardage and rolls of heat and bond, etc. Yes, I have tons of fat-quarters!!

Quote Originally Posted by craftygater View Post
    I use an old CD storage shelf. This is my 3yr Granddaughters collection. Everytime we go to the store she chooses several. Over the winter I will help her design a quilt and she wants to "sew" it together. I think she will have more than enough. Sorry I still can't get the picture to turn upright.
    To get pictures to stop flipping, save them in .png format! That solves the problem when you edit a photo so it will show the right direction.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast