Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Fat Quarter storage: where do you put them?

Fat Quarter storage: where do you put them?

I'd love to see where you store your fat quarters! Do you put them in a drawer? On the floor?

Here's a picture of what I did with mine... I found 2 letter sorters at a thrift store and stacked them. They are the perfect this for fat quarters. I took this picture last year, when I first started organizing my stash. It's nearly full now, I should take another picture.

At the very bottom, you can barely see the tops of my comic book cardboard. I use that to fold the fabric that is too small to fit on a bolt but too big to to fold into fat quarters size.

Name:  fatquarter.png
Views: 1789
Size:  364.2 KB
    Last edited by Christine-; 08-13-2014 at 02:58 AM.
    Warning! If someone comes to your door telling you they are from the government and they're checking to see how bad the ticks are in your area, and then tell you to take off your clothes and dance around so they can check for ticks.... DON'T DO IT!!! This is a scam! They just want to see you naked! I wish someone had told me this yesterday, I feel so stupid.
    http://www.quiltdasher.blogspot.com/...bel/long%20arm

That's a great idea. And, I like how you've arranged the fabric by color.

I just learned about the comic book cardboard. I love the way it helps organize small amounts of fabric and how great it looks on a bookshelf. It is so easy to find the colors I need.
    Ellie Bunt
    Concord, CA

Looks like the ideal piece of furniture. I keep my storebough fat quarters in shoeboxes, filed by color. If I cut yardage down and end up with a homemade fat quarter, I roll it and wrap a contrasting strip of fabric around it, and stand it on end in a pretty container.

Artbin double deep satchel
    Brother XL-3500i, SQ-9050, Dreamweaver XE6200D

I had, emphasis on HAD, an abundance of those plastic shoe boxes inherited from a family member who actually stored shoes in them. Imagine that! They are now used as storage for fat quarters and those smaller standard cuts of fabric. I have a 2.5, 3, 4, 5 and then a box for binding tails and another for salvages and ... well you get the picture. I had the plastic shoe boxes on hand, so used them. They work!

I use an old CD storage shelf. This is my 3yr Granddaughters collection. Everytime we go to the store she chooses several. Over the winter I will help her design a quilt and she wants to "sew" it together. I think she will have more than enough. Sorry I still can't get the picture to turn upright.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

I love my CD holders! I keep a large collection on a shelf in my sewing storage room but my most recents and soon to be used are stored right by my sewing area. I bought both of these at Salvation Army for $2.50!

Name:  image.jpg
Views: 1443
Size:  475.4 KB
    Last edited by Cogito; 08-14-2014 at 04:50 AM.
    The expert's mind has no room to learn while the beginner's mind is free to know everything....

I have two dressers (chest type) each has 5 drawers. One dresser holds the fat-quarters, sorted by colors, and divided by balsa wood planks that I purchased at Hobby Lobby. The other dresser holds yardage and rolls of heat and bond, etc. Yes, I have tons of fat-quarters!!

Quote Originally Posted by craftygater View Post
    I use an old CD storage shelf. This is my 3yr Granddaughters collection. Everytime we go to the store she chooses several. Over the winter I will help her design a quilt and she wants to "sew" it together. I think she will have more than enough. Sorry I still can't get the picture to turn upright.
    To get pictures to stop flipping, save them in .png format! That solves the problem when you edit a photo so it will show the right direction.
    Warning! If someone comes to your door telling you they are from the government and they're checking to see how bad the ticks are in your area, and then tell you to take off your clothes and dance around so they can check for ticks.... DON'T DO IT!!! This is a scam! They just want to see you naked! I wish someone had told me this yesterday, I feel so stupid.
    http://www.quiltdasher.blogspot.com/...bel/long%20arm

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast