Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures > Mission: Organization
Let's Organize Something Today >

Let's Organize Something Today

Let's Organize Something Today

Old 04-28-2016, 01:10 PM

Originally Posted by zozee View Post
Feeling much better today after taking an iron pill and getting a whopping 8.5 hours sleep last night, I had a surge of energy.

- cleared off my cutting table
- dealt with a bunch of scraps
- tidied the floor a bit
- started making a kit for a houses quilt
- put a squishy together for a member here
- I even trashed a small pieced twister top that I hated! My blade was almost new but had kept skipping . Looked terrible and I didn't like my fabric choices, either. I'll try again with a different brand of blades. I feel liberated that it's gone.

Good day ...goodnight!

Glad to hear you're feeling more chipper (though still see the doc). Your list is great - but the final item is the best. That feeling of weight that lifts when we let something go that no longer gives us pleasure. I am trying to remove the word "should" from my vocabulary. i.e. I should finish it because ... Self-imposed obligation should take a flying leap!
Old 04-28-2016, 01:16 PM

Originally Posted by Quilty-Louise View Post
I have been "collecting" brocade fabrics for YEARS in the hopes
of making at least 1 crazy quilt some day.

Although I probably have enough brocades to make 2-3 full size
quilts LOL.
Not to entice you into collecting yet more (ha!) - but, a nice controlled way to collect small pieces of brocade and other fabrics for crazy quilts is to ask home dec/design firm/upholstery/etc places that have books of fabric swatches for their old ones. I've also lucked upon them at thrift stores.
Old 04-28-2016, 02:22 PM

Today I went by Target and bought two of those cheap plastic rolling carts with 3 drawers. I decided to dedicate the narrower one to fabric storage so I could get my yardage off the floor (it was divided between two of those vinyl bed in a bag containers. I used the top drawer to hold all my fabric scraps that are bigger than fat quarter size, but smaller than a yard. They are wrapped around comic boards (cut to fit in the drawer) and stand in the drawer with the fabric fold facing up so I can see at a glance what I have. The middle drawer now holds all my one yard cuts which I ruler folded so they would fit standing with the fold side up. The bottom drawer now holds all my fabric that is over 1 yard, also folded to be able to stand with the fold side up.

No more fabric in flimsy vinyl cases on the floor!

I will use the double wide unit to store some of the batting and stabilizers that currently take up whatever horizontal surface I can find for them (usually the radiator or the dresser and night stands in the guest bedroom). Yay!!!!

Rob
Old 04-30-2016, 04:40 AM

excellent rryder, I use those types of drawer but didn't think of using the comic boards. It will solve the problem of the smaller pieces getting hidden behind the larger ones. Thanks for the though. I have my grandma's flower garden fabrics laid out next to the ironing board in the arrangement I'll be sewing them. Makes it much easier to cut, iron and baste them when I have freed up the number of templates I need to start the next one. Yeah.
Old 04-30-2016, 07:31 AM

Originally Posted by rryder View Post
Today I went by Target and bought two of those cheap plastic rolling carts with 3 drawers. I decided to dedicate the narrower one to fabric storage so I could get my yardage off the floor (it was divided between two of those vinyl bed in a bag containers. I used the top drawer to hold all my fabric scraps that are bigger than fat quarter size, but smaller than a yard. They are wrapped around comic boards (cut to fit in the drawer) and stand in the drawer with the fabric fold facing up so I can see at a glance what I have. The middle drawer now holds all my one yard cuts which I ruler folded so they would fit standing with the fold side up. The bottom drawer now holds all my fabric that is over 1 yard, also folded to be able to stand with the fold side up.

No more fabric in flimsy vinyl cases on the floor!

I will use the double wide unit to store some of the batting and stabilizers that currently take up whatever horizontal surface I can find for them (usually the radiator or the dresser and night stands in the guest bedroom). Yay!!!!

Rob
Sounds like a great system. Kudoes.
Old 05-06-2016, 06:17 PM

This weekend is the weekend I clean up the sewing space & figure out my projects!! Too much chaos & clutter. I signed up for a quilt class, so I have motivation.
Old 05-09-2016, 09:02 AM

Way to go QWC--taking a class sounds like an excellent motivator.

Speaking of motivation--thanks so much to Zozee for starting this thread--seeing what everyone else is doing to organize their spaces has helped me stay motivated and on task with my own organizing adventures.

Rob
Old 05-09-2016, 11:42 AM

DH took both of my sets of 3-drawers for his smaller office since he has no desk drawers, I bought 2 more, but one is wider. I need to find everything that was in the other drawers and organize them. One problem I have is that one of them will hold sewing stuff (needles, bobbins, etc) right by the machine and the drawers are pretty deep. Has anyone done anything to organize the vertical space so everything does not feel like it is just junked in there?
Another question, I have some of those big stacking drawers and they are a real disappointment. Pulling out the bottom one is fine, but pulling out the upper ones can cause it to tip -- does anyone know how to stabilize them? Thanks.
Old 05-10-2016, 03:06 AM

weight the bottom. You can buy lead strips at the fishing store.
Old 05-10-2016, 06:50 AM
Power Poster

Home improvement store have safety straps for a situation like this.
Originally Posted by QuiltnLady1 View Post
DH took both of my sets of 3-drawers for his smaller office since he has no desk drawers, I bought 2 more, but one is wider. I need to find everything that was in the other drawers and organize them. One problem I have is that one of them will hold sewing stuff (needles, bobbins, etc) right by the machine and the drawers are pretty deep. Has anyone done anything to organize the vertical space so everything does not feel like it is just junked in there?
Another question, I have some of those big stacking drawers and they are a real disappointment. Pulling out the bottom one is fine, but pulling out the upper ones can cause it to tip -- does anyone know how to stabilize them? Thanks.