Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures > Mission: Organization
Let's Organize Something Today >

Let's Organize Something Today

Let's Organize Something Today

Old 04-19-2016, 05:52 AM
Banned

I have been "collecting" brocade fabrics for YEARS in the hopes
of making at least 1 crazy quilt some day.

Although I probably have enough brocades to make 2-3 full size
quilts LOL.

Originally Posted by tkhooper View Post
A friend rescued some articles on crazy quilts that were headed for the trash. She knows I love the style. I got them into my design book. One of these days...
Old 04-19-2016, 11:55 AM

I love brocades. I think after I finish the Grandma's Flower Garden I'll be ready for the kind of hand work required to do the crazy. Or so I tell myself. But considering that I change the order of color I want the flowers in every morning pretty much it could take awhile.
Old 04-20-2016, 09:28 AM

Oh my! Since I have to rearrange my sewing room furniture when I long-arm quilt my tops, I usually piece about 5 quilt tops before I start quilting. It has always been easy to move the stuff on the long-arm into the closet and fold up the sewing table and I'm on my way. Well, it's time to quilt and something has happened to my sewing room and closet........there is no more room to put anything anywhere! The closet is full of 2 rolls of batting and a huge sack of fleece fabric for dog beds (courtesy of Hancock's sale). The long arm is filled and stacked with fabric for various on-line blocks of the month (that I have not even started) AND the floor is lined with strategically-spaced baskets of fabric, sacks of completed quilts to mail, and the stack of backings for the quilts to be quilted! At this point, I'm not even sure where to start.....so I've been procrastinating for 3 days.........

What do you do when you don't know what to do? Of course, you sew! ! ! ! So, I found a pile of scrap flannel and I am piecing a string quilt....I'm almost done with the top and I will add it to the pile and will get clearing out the room for quilting. But, I've gotta tell you.......sewing that extra top really relaxed me and made me feel better about the pile of fabric I have.

But, I've gotta get something cleared out........so today (or tomorrow if I don't finish the top), I'm going to get out my backing fabrics for all the quilts to quilt, sew them if necessary, get my batting out and lastly.............pile all the other stuff into the spare bedroom (since no one is coming to visit for a bit)! Thank goodness for spare bedrooms (or what I like to call "Nora's Quilting Annex"! ! !
Old 04-22-2016, 03:32 AM

My late husband once asked me if he needed to rent the apartment next door for all the crafts. So I definitely get the annex idea.

Today I cut up the scraps for the make fabric background I want for some blocks. Then I broke the iron so I put all the scraps in color coordinated sandwich bags for when I can start work on them again.
Old 04-22-2016, 12:29 PM

I love to be organized but when it comes to my quilting stuff it is nearly impossible. I don't have a dedicated sewing room and do my sewing at the dining room table. I have an upstairs storage area and one upstairs in an outbuilding behind the house. It feels like I am constantly going up and down the stairs lugging my machine, ironing board, fabrics, etc! On some days my family eats in the living room because I don't want to clear away my project to serve lunch since I want to go back to it in the afternoon. I think my current situation helps me to keep the amount of fabric I purchase to a minimum and that means I have less stuff to keep organized. I guess that is something!
Old 04-22-2016, 04:09 PM

today I finished hand stitching pockets on a cutting board carrier that I bought at the quilt show. I'm loving it. Now the cutting board, rulers and rotary cutter are all in the same place and easy to travel with.
Old 04-22-2016, 04:47 PM

I'm waiting for a break in my unusual fatigue. I don't know if I'm anemic or have a thyroid issue or what. I can't sleep enough to be refreshed even after naps. I'm seeing the dr on Tuesday. I'm sure it has something to do with sleep apnea. I'm going to ask for a sleep study along with bloodwork. It's scary to be so ready to fall asleep on a moment's notice--like when driving.
Old 04-23-2016, 02:39 AM
Power Poster

Soumds much like narcolepsy or sleep apnea. Wouldn't drive anymore than just had to.
Originally Posted by zozee View Post
I'm waiting for a break in my unusual fatigue. I don't know if I'm anemic or have a thyroid issue or what. I can't sleep enough to be refreshed even after naps. I'm seeing the dr on Tuesday. I'm sure it has something to do with sleep apnea. I'm going to ask for a sleep study along with bloodwork. It's scary to be so ready to fall asleep on a moment's notice--like when driving.
Old 04-23-2016, 04:26 AM

I went through something like that recently. Come to find out I was messing up my diabetes medication. Simple fix which was nice. I hope your's is also something that is easily fixed.
Old 04-23-2016, 08:42 PM

Feeling much better today after taking an iron pill and getting a whopping 8.5 hours sleep last night, I had a surge of energy.

- cleared off my cutting table
- dealt with a bunch of scraps
- tidied the floor a bit
- started making a kit for a houses quilt
- put a squishy together for a member here
- I even trashed a small pieced twister top that I hated! My blade was almost new but had kept skipping . Looked terrible and I didn't like my fabric choices, either. I'll try again with a different brand of blades. I feel liberated that it's gone.

Good day ...goodnight!