Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures > Mission: Organization
Let's Organize Something Today >

Let's Organize Something Today

Let's Organize Something Today

Old 09-09-2016, 06:28 AM
Power Poster

Over the weekend Tuesday Morning (very near to us) had a sale. Looks like a sewing machine carrier tote but is a "yarn" tote. Got it for $29.99. Holds a lot. I was able to fit extra yarn in it including embroidery kits and some crewel products. Side pockets hold needle packs and darning eggs and crochet and knitting needles. That cleared a large space for nothing, just opened an area for breathing.
Old 09-09-2016, 06:58 AM

Good job tessagin! I'm constantly looking for better ways to store yarn. I used to do a lot of knitting, crocheting and also spun my own yarn, so I've got yarn and fibers that need someplace other than the plastic bags shoved inside cardboard boxes system I've go going now. Maybe a destash purge is in order........
Old 09-09-2016, 07:04 AM
Power Poster

I purged "threads" a long time when I realized quilting was my true craft...lol as I occasionally pick up crochet cotton at thrift stores...fun colors that I should incorporate into some art quilts..I stores them in a ten gallon crock with a glass top.

A space for nothing...yes...an admirable feat, tessagin....
Old 09-09-2016, 09:55 AM

Found an old 2 drawer file cabinet in the basement. Took out the guts from the drawers and stuffed all my odds and ends and extra batting in there. Looks much tidier, but I'm almost afraid to open the drawer...SPROING!

Watson
Old 09-20-2016, 04:23 AM

I got two totes small ones at our queen bee's meeting. I used the smaller one for the scraps that are still large enough to make something with. I put the neutrals and the multi-color fabrics in the new tote and now I can close the lid on the decorator lid of the old box. Now if I can just remember where everything is when I go to look for it...
Old 09-20-2016, 12:47 PM

Been sorting my bin of scraps that I keep under the cutting table. It was overflowing! My son cleaned out his closest and got rid of a ton of stuff and had some extra totes that were a perfect size for me. I sorted all strings and small strips into one. Then the larger strips four inches and wider or chunks into a second one. The other two totes were bigger so I went thru and put anything that was about a fat quarter up to 3/4 yard neatly folded and on edge ( looking down at them) and by color into those. Its like going thru a file folder. Still have some to go and eventually I would like the strings sorted by color but I don't have that many yet.

Course no I realize I am going to need to start making string blocks or crazy log cabins.
Old 09-20-2016, 02:03 PM

Originally Posted by tkhooper View Post
I got two totes small ones at our queen bee's meeting. I used the smaller one for the scraps that are still large enough to make something with. I put the neutrals and the multi-color fabrics in the new tote and now I can close the lid on the decorator lid of the old box. Now if I can just remember where everything is when I go to look for it...
This is the problem I have. I see all those nice, neat looking organized sewing areas with pretty boxes, bins, baskets, etc., but I have to put labels on everything or I will forget what's in which container. I just use drafting tape (like painter's tape, low tack) and a sharpie. The labels go on the side of the container thats facing out. The main problem I'm having right now is how to deal with projects that are on hold for a short time (not long enough to be UFOs). I tend to leave them out because I haven't come up with a good way of storing them. I'm afraid to store them the way I do my UFOs because then they might become UFOS too

Rob
Old 09-20-2016, 02:32 PM

I have a shelf of those that are just fabric and idea. But for the ones that are in process Penny came up with a good idea. She took poster board and covered it with flannel to hold the project. They are stackable! I use this method without the flannel because I don't have any. So far I've emptied two of these since I started using them and I'm loving it. With luck I'll empty another one this week since I'm getting close to finishing the bargello placemat tops.
Old 09-20-2016, 06:21 PM

I found 6 skeins and a huge cone of cotton yarn which was purchased to make dish cloths. I have knitted all 6 skeins and am now starting on the cone. Sometimes you have to work on a project rather than finding a different place to store the items. Also cut all my scraps of batting into 4.5 inch squares to use in a denim quilt. Now have enough squares to make 2 quilts. And have enough denim squares to make 4 quilts. Cutting up the batting scraps made opened up a big area in one cupboard. I'm sure it won't be empty long though.
Old 09-21-2016, 02:32 AM

Excellent work, and you are right doing the projects is better than just moving them around.

On that not I got three placemats pieced and sandwiched this morning. So it is on to the quilting and binding.